This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 9817

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Gorgoth3k1

B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Mon Oct 7, 02   9:30 PM     

I have a friend with a '98 honda civic and he wants to make it fast...

if it weren't for me he'd be putting a fart tip exhaust, headers and a cold air intake and leave it at that...

I've convinced him to do a complete engine swap with either a B16 or B18 and also the headers and Greddy Cat-Back system (he REALLY wants them... hehe...) And once he gets the money I'm getting him to put on either a Mitsubishi VR4 TT system or a Garrett TT System...

The only thing is... I have NO CLUE how much either of those 2 engines cost... could any of y'all tell me about what one would run him?

I've seen a couple B16A motors on ebay for around $1grand or so...But he really wants a TRUE B18 TypeR motor... as do I want him to get one... I mean... he's not gonna be doing a straight swap... We're gonna stroke it and give the motor some aluminum heads and some new billet cams and some better forged pistons...

But mainly I was just wondering about what a B16 or B18 TypeR engine would run... and I thought atleast ONE of you might know...

Thx...

-Gor

MrPeabody

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Tue Oct 8, 02   12:38 AM     

Well,
A B16A2, (which is what he'd need;), will prob run 2500 bucks w/out install. The B18 will bolt up and will cost anywhere from 3500 - 4500 buck. Don't get the Type -R engine it's like 2000 bucks more becasue it has different pistions cams and intake throttle body. The B18 will deffinently be faster than the 16 because of the higher tourge. Check out http://tech.hybridgarage.com/ they have THE BEST info on swaps and a good forum, plus numerous links. As far as turbo goes, greddy has a good a good street legal kit for the B16 and B18. It should run around 3500 bucks w/intercooler. If he's deffinently going to go turbo, don't bother blowing money on simple bolt on stuff, especially a $500 header, (cause your going to get rid of it w/ a turbo;), and deffinently build that motor before big boost. (above 7 psi [External Image Removed]http://jgenginedynamics.com/ these guys seriously know how to boost hondas and were the first itno the 10's;) Anymore q's just ask...

-Ben

MrPeabody

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Tue Oct 8, 02   12:43 AM     

And as far as "heads" it has just one, and it's aluminum from the factory;) Deffinently check out those sites dude. Four bangers are more tricky than good ol SBC's or the like. You have to appraoch them from a completely different direction as far as getting power out of them is concerned. Do your reaserch, take your time, ask allot of q's and it'll be a whole lot easier, (with fewr headaches;)

-Ben

SweetNeon

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Tue Oct 8, 02   8:16 PM     

i could find you a jap b16 for 700, gsr 2500, type r 5000

Gorgoth3k1

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Tue Oct 8, 02   9:03 PM     

Ya... I'm a good ol' SBC guy, but I figured an engine is an engine, although I do know that the foreign cars are always somewhat different...

LOL... now i DIDNT realize that the HEAD (singular) was signular and aluminum... although I shoulda realized that it was singular 'cuz it's not a V engine, but an inline engine...

anywho...

Ya... if thats the only difference for the TypeR engine, then I'll get 'im just to get the B18 and I can help him put some new pistons and such on it...

but ya.. his uncle is a real import guy (NOT a ricer)... But ya.. he can help us out...

I just didnt want to see a friend of mine fall to the evils that is RICE...

and sadly... I have another friend that wants to build a ricer... body kit and all... what is it with the pure rice epidemic?

i'm NOT going to let either of those two guys put anything cosmetic on their car before they get it runnin at LEAST 13's.... altho... i donno how much influence I'll have on them... other than the whole, "My fiero will murder your car in the quarter even if I give you a 10 car head start and everyone will see you in your utter suckiness" threat... LOL... it may or may not be true... but if they're getting a foreign car, they're makin it go fast and NOT making it a ricer... good thing is... NEITHER of them like the park bench spoilers... they both think they're ugly and stupid lookin... the former guy has a spoiler that looks kinda like the spoiler thats on old 'marys.. ya know... it kinda curves up off the end of the trunk myabe 2 inches high... the later doesn't have a car yet... and I'm still tryin to get him to buy a TT Dodge Stealth... (thats seems to be the only other car (other than a civic) that he'll consider buying...)

Thx for the info...

-Gor

MrPeabody

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Tue Oct 8, 02   9:59 PM     

Tell him to get a TT Supra instead... whoop ass on that stealth:) Hmmm... body kits, kinda a off subject for me since I don't run 13's and I have one:P Anywho, a swap will make a big difference in the performance of the car, and the B16 and B18 have huge aftermarket support to make them silly fast. One thing to think of though, if you can get a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) with the engines, (shouldn't add more than $300 to the price.) They're about $800 seperate. THis will make a huge difference in how fast the car is. It doesn't matter how much HP you have, traction is the king in fast import FWD cars;)

-Ben

P.S. Neon, is that B16 for $700 an A2, OB2 set up? An A1 wouldn't work without allot of rewiring and modification.

-Ben

Gorgoth3k1

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Wed Oct 9, 02   8:04 PM     

he wanted to get a TT Supra... then he realized they're WICKED expensive... hehe... the Stealth is more in his price range, and if he doesn't get the TT Stealth, we'll make it TT... hehe...

and can you get a full POSI Trac for the civics, or just the LSD?

but ya... I talked to him today and he said he could probably afford the B18 engine and he would forget the Headers, but he still wants that cat-back system... but we're gonna build it to support around 15 or 16 pounds of boost or more... I've seen TT Supras with 23lbs of boost... it was wicked fast... LOL...

-Gor

Kutsuju_racing
Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Wed Oct 9, 02   8:51 PM     

I would go with a GSR and a T3/T4 turbo. 1.8...I think 1.6's suck. They can be built nasty but if you've ever felt the torque difference between a B16 and B18 then you would know why...and you can get a B16 that cheap but you still have to worry about emission because it has to be 98 or newer which means you'll run into problems with the Ecu and Sensors. Fitting on a B16A1 The B16A2 and up are going to start costing you like my boy said 2,500 and up to like 3,000 and for that you might as well get a GSR. The difference matter believe me. The B16's are better on boost if your gonna leave the motor stock but if your gonna build it then I say go GSR all the way. (See and this rule really doesn't apply because he has to Go with the A2 or higher.....it's a little tricky but when in doubt GSR or Type R depending on the set up. Good luck.....

Kutsuju Racing Pres
MrPeabody

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Wed Oct 9, 02   11:55 PM     

15 lbs. of boost should get you into the 400 HP range, if you can tune the fuel setup right, though you'll be scrubbin for traction. I suggest the new AEM stand alone fuel management system, (gonna need some kind to compensate for all that boost;), it runs for around 1500 bucks and allot of guys i've talked to like it. Plus it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg like a motec M4 would;) Supras are technically going for a little over 10 G's at the dealers right now, (93 TT.) The prob is that ever since F&F came out private party sellers have jacked up the price to ridiculas amounts:( One more thing to thank that movie for, kinda funny cause I do own it... hey it had cool cars:P

-Ben

Gorgoth3k1

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Thu Oct 10, 02   7:54 PM     

hey... i really liked that movie... i loved the cars in it... especially that challenger at the end... ohhhhhh baby that car roxorz... LOL...

anywho...

We live in Texas... we REALLY dont need to worry about emissions testing... as long as you can see through the smoke that comes outta your tail pipe, you pass... LOL... but really... we have no visual test for emissions and you can smoke so much it isn't even funny before you fail... I have a friend with a 1983 SHITstang that smoked more than the chimney of a refinery and he passed inspection with flying colors... I mean... every time you hit the gas more smoke than you can believe came outta that tail pipe... his car is a REAL POS... literally everything you can think of to be wrong with a car is wrong with that one... but hey... what can you expect for $200... LOL...

I was talkin to him today and he said he would prolly get the B18 and I'd help him with some forged hi-comp pistons and a new throttle body and injectors and such... then we'd later add a huge boost turbo and such...

but ya... emissions here is NO PROBLEM... hehe...

-Gor

MrPeabody

Re: B16 or B18 engines...   Posted Thu Oct 10, 02   11:27 PM     

Yeah, you got it lucky man. California is super strict on emissions, it sucks:(
If your gonna turbo the engine you actually want to lower the compression of the pistions to compensate for the boost;) Or else detonation will ensue:( Like taking the stock comp (10:5:1 I believe) to a more boost friendly 9:0:1 or so...

-Ben

eternalninex

note on emissions...   Posted Fri Oct 11, 02   11:55 AM     

if your going to take your car in for emissions, and you happen to be running anything of decent power, it would be a wise suggestion to lean out the fuel injection, and make your motor run hello hot. what will happen is that when you run the emission test, your car's emissions will be nice and clean due to the lean mixture, but you should emediately adjust the air/fuel ratio back before you damage your vehicle. a lean mixture will run cleaner, but it will also run hotter. running that too long leads to melted pistons.

MrPeabody

Re: note on emissions...   Posted Fri Oct 11, 02   3:01 PM     

I think the main problem with smogging a JDM engine in CA is the visual inspection under hood. The second they start reading the block number and check their books they'll probobly fail the test. That's what has me worried about swapping in a B16...

-Ben

Phatmatt

Re: note on emissions...   Posted Sat Oct 12, 02   4:15 PM     

you poor CA bastards and smog regulations.

hooyeah
Re: note on emissions...   Posted Sat Oct 12, 02   4:17 PM     

you lucky michigan bastards and your no emission ever cars

is michigan a free carry state for guns to or no?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
leak WHAT LEAK? ohhh that, it's not leaking oil it's just marking it's territory.

resident chevette lover!
Pages in this thread: (1) 2