This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 2872

uglystick
Bosch CI Mechanical on BMW - BIGBLOWNOVAL!   Posted Fri Sep 27, 02   2:20 PM     

hey,

i figured bbo could answer this, but if any of you have commentary on it, it would be greatly appreciated.

i have a bosch continuous injection mechanical setup from an old saab 99 ems, 2 liter four cylinder. my brother in law has a '72 bmw 2002 2.0 liter four cylinder with a carb. i was thinking of taking all of the guts off of this saab and mating it together with a later 2.0l four cylinder motronic intake manifold with weld in mechanical injector bosses.

will ask questions upon first comments...

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
BIGBLOWNOVAL11
Re: Bosch CI Mechanical on BMW - BIGBLOWNOVAL!   Posted Fri Sep 27, 02   2:33 PM     

to be honest i have no clue...sorry

ITS NOT FAST ..ITS A WORK TRUCK ..MMMM MY TRUCK LOVES TO EAT IMPORTS...RICE IS GOODDDDD...!
uglystick
Re: Bosch CI Mechanical on BMW - BIGBLOWNOVAL!   Posted Fri Sep 27, 02   3:06 PM     

awww shit junior, what do you just change bimmer oil?

;-) i know, it was out of left field in the first place!!

jason

uglystick
Re: Bosch CI Mechanical on BMW - BIGBLOWNOVAL!   Posted Fri Sep 27, 02   4:59 PM     

actually now that i nosed around on this topic elsewhere, the bosch cis injection system was stock on the fuel injected us delivery 320i's. and it is "HELL" to work on. unless you add forced induction and switch the one electronic injector in the bunch (cold start) into a WOT/high boost injector.

don't you work for a dealership service department oval?

;-) just say it, i'm a domestic guy, i don't understand your kraut ways...

jason

LS4_454
Re: Bosch CI Mechanical on BMW - BIGBLOWNOVAL!   Posted Sat Oct 19, 02   7:23 PM     

Hi Jason,
That was me, let me know if you really want to do this and I can help you get it set up. The TII mechanical injection is nice if you can find a complete set up, those made around 125hp. Maybe find a TII cam then put the CIS on it and it should make some power. You dont want that 5th (cold start) injector coming on at WOT, unless maybe you squeeze it, otherwise it may kill the motor with too much fuel. It is only "hell" to work on when you cant figure it out, read: BMW independents. You wont need any forced induction to make it work, but you will need everyhting from the donor car that is connected to the CIS from the front of the car to the back. You would be better off finding a system from a 320i from '80-'83 since everything would basically bolt up to the motor.

uglystick
Re: Bosch CI Mechanical on BMW - BIGBLOWNOVAL!   Posted Mon Oct 21, 02   10:52 AM     

you know, it's funny. my dad owns this saab 99 that the cis is off of. he swears up and down that it is absolute cake to work on, and that he has never had a problem with it. a lot of my bmw buddies hate it though. 'course, it's their k-jet equipped 320i that they never drive and hate anyway that is equipped with it.

i don't even have the car yet, but i think i might still do this.

either way, if you're still around, reply to the topic i'm about to post.

jason

LS4_454
Re: Bosch CI Mechanical on BMW - BIGBLOWNOVAL!   Posted Mon Oct 21, 02   8:34 PM     

The problem with CIS is that it was so adjustable and every indepedent put there own "tweak" in to make it run better when there was another problem. Then usually what happened is that you would take it to someone that knows how it should be set up and it costs $$$$$ to get it fixed right once all the bandaids are removed. I've been told the system only had a life span of 100,000 miles but I have seen CIS cars with more than that running fine. With everything being used I would replace the injectors and warm up regulator. I f the car has been taken care of then everything else "should be good.