This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 1480

MyCivicIsSlow
7th gen civic turbo/swap   Posted Thu Sep 26, 02   12:23 PM     

Hello all, im new into the import scene, and right now, im doing the research on my car and determining what I would like to do. I drive a 2002 Civic Ex Coupe stock. First of all, are there any known shops that could put a B-Series motor into this new model? I have not read of one being done in the US yet. Do you think it would be feasible. Say get custom mounts built and boom, it goes in. I dont need ac or power steering, I would just like it to work. Is that feasible? How much do custom motor mounts cost in general? I have been looking into the K20 swap right now, but that would cost me close to 10grand...and thats a bit out of my range, just for the motor swap...Also, HKS is developing a turbo for this model right now, but who knows when it will be available, does anyone know of any other companies that are developing or have a turbo (or supercharger) available for my car (assuming it has the factory D17 SHOC VTEC motor in place). Oh well, thank you, I would appreciate any positive response. Dont bash me too hard if I said something stupid...
-Jared

uglystick
Re: 7th gen civic turbo/swap   Posted Thu Sep 26, 02   7:06 PM     

wow, nothing stupid at all. good questions. i don't even know the honda engine letters/series to save my ass or i would speak up here.

my take is this: find the honda 4 that has the strongest block (the crv, i believe has that title), find the heads that flow the most (integra type r or aftermarket heads) that will bolt to that, have the internals built custom and get an aftermarket fuel injection system.

when you select your products to put onto the car in terms of induction system, etc... use american manufacturers like edelbrock and moroso. trust me, these people know more about going fast than some half assed weapon-r streetfighter incorporated company that is trying to take advantage of you.

if i were you though, i would take my advice - build a bad assed engine in your garage and take your time. i can suggest reading material to facilitate this. just consider the possibilities though:

1. your warranty stays intact.

2. you get good gas milage now so you can spend that money on hot rod parts instead of wasting money on gas in a car that runs a 14.7.

3. you learn something...

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
MrPeabody

Re: 7th gen civic turbo/swap   Posted Thu Sep 26, 02   9:21 PM     

Hey,
I am pretty knowledgable on hondas. The K series will be a major pain to swap into your civ, (as you stated;) The problem is, sinse the 7 gens are so new, there isn't allot of parts available. I believe the engine you have now has the same bolt pattern for the engine mounts as most B series engines. The K series on the other hand is commpletely switched around, (i.e. intake manifold is located in front of bay.)
Another question is, what kind of money you looking to spend? A B16 swap shouldn't run you more than 2500, (for the B16A2;) One of the best swaps right now is the LS/VTEC "Frankenstein." This is an Acura Integra LS bottom end and a B16 or B18 top end. With this setup you get allot of torque and the good top end of the B series VTECs. This engine can hand ass left and right.
If you want to stick with your stock engine, there's some options. Companies are making allot of bolt on stuff for your car as we speak, and more will follow. Another Q is if you want to go Forced Induction or Natural Asperation. NA is more streetable, but you have to spend allot more money to get the same power as FI. I think Jackson Racing has a supercharger for your car, you should call and check. With this you'll gain a 40% or so boost in power, with a very usable powerband, (i.e. it's not all after 4500 RPM;) and it's reliable.
For just the basic bolt-ons I would go with: An AEM Cool Air Intake, (better results than other intakes in almost all tests i've read about.) Header is kind of a vauge area, some headers can add as much as 6 hp or so, but most ppl dont get more than a couple, not worth the 300 bucks in my opionion. As far as exhaust goes, i'd pick a muffler and get a custom setup in like 2.25" piping, it's not worth the 600 bucks for it to say "Greddy." Of course you get the best results from bolt ons when you've tinkered with the engine itself, like cams and fuel work. If you want allot of power, however, you need to get a swap, or build up your engine and go FI. Call JG Engineering http://www.jgedelbrock.com/ they know their stuff and could give you better tips than I can.
Hope I helped. If you have any more Q's, don't hesitate to ask.

-Ben

civictr
Re: 7th gen civic turbo/swap   Posted Thu Oct 17, 02   9:29 AM     

I recently swapped the B18C5 engine into my 96 civic EX. It was a pretty easy swap. Since all the mounts and everything are the same for all the B series engines I was able to use Civic Si Engine mounts that fit in the existing places. So far all I did was the swap and a type-R tranny and i am running a 13.4. The B series are the way to go. If you are interested in turbo or supercharger then put in a non vtec integra engine. The best setup would be an LS turbo. I did masive amounts of research before I did my swap so if you need sites or what aftermarket parts go best with what engine I have most of that information. If anyone has any questions about B18 swaps into a Civic e-mail me at redcivic@theraces.com and I'll help you.