This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 19787

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3)  
MrPeabody

Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Mon Sep 23, 02   9:02 PM     

Hey Kutsuju, what part of Arizona you in? I visit Pheonix about 4 times a year. Ever been to Import Power House? They got some pretty cool projects going on there, lotta LS/VTEC turbos. Been contemplating moving to zona to get rid of these stupid ass CA smog laws :P

-Ben

Kutsuju_racing
Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Tue Sep 24, 02   5:40 PM     

Yeah, I'm in Glendale. Yeah, actually if you heard my story about the 11.7 crx that's David's the owner of import power house! the dude is crazy man that car is nuts! yeah, man let me know when you come out here maybe we can cruise out to the track or even just cruise with my car club! so where are you at in Cali? I'm actually from the Coachella Valley I'm just stationed here now. Hey we have smog here to man I just don't know how bad it is....I'll find out in a few months...but hopefully my vtec controller will help me cheat a little!

Kutsuju Racing Pres
MrPeabody

Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Wed Sep 25, 02   12:47 AM     

Heh,
Yeah, I saw David's rex... it looks mean, he gave me some good tips on engine swaps and such.
Next time i'll be up there will probobly be around Christmas. We ussually stay with freinds in Avondale and visit the Sun City Region to see my grandparents, (not too far from Bell Av and Import Power House.) My bud, who drives a sweet rex, ussually tags allong. I have noticed one difference between the imports there though, most are done right. Very clean and allot seem to be boosted. Saw a sweet green civic at Hooters that looked mildly worked on, nice rims and such. Looked a little closer and saw a nice fat intercooler:) Good change of pace from the rice crap in Cali.
I live about 30 minutes south from Fresno, (place is a bore...)
Been contemplating some ideas about my car. Thinking about building up a 88-91 Si SOHC 1.6L for some good heaps of boost. Via an APEXi kit or maybe a Drag kit. Whadia think???

-Ben

uglystick
Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Wed Sep 25, 02   12:01 PM     

where are you from peabody? i grew up in clovis.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
MrPeabody

Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Wed Sep 25, 02   4:30 PM     

Clovis, sweet.
I live in Reedley, bout a half hour away. Hang out in Clovis and Fresno with my buds...
Need some good cars here though. To much rice, and i mean thick.

-Ben

Kutsuju_racing
Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Wed Sep 25, 02   5:10 PM     

Anything is possible man you don't have to swap to be fast! You can just build that motor for high boost and be in the low 14's high 13's easy! it's all on which way you want to do it. That would probably be the cheapest and best way to go. people just shun on SOHC but it doesn't take much. good luck man on whatever you decide. you just have to choose your weapon and then sharpen that bad boy up!!!

Kutsuju Racing Pres
uglystick
Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Wed Sep 25, 02   5:27 PM     

holy shit. do you know any of the McDonald kids out there. i'm pretty sure all four of them went to reedley high. my parents are one of their kids godparents...silly catholic bs...oh well, i'm one too.

their names were doug, steve, jackie and heather. know any of them?

my best friend still lives in visalia. i'll be down there in a few weeks (maybe next weekend actually).

jason

MrPeabody

Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Wed Sep 25, 02   7:25 PM     

Um,
Don't think I know any McDonald kids... at least not off the top of my head. Visalia's cool. I go there allot too. What vehicle you drivin down in?

-Ben

MrPeabody

Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Wed Sep 25, 02   7:29 PM     

See,
The prob is i'm running the DX stock motor, (crappy dual point.) So, either way I gotta tranfer over to multipoint injection. Once I get that out of the way, I have a whole lotta options as far as swaps go. Either way I have to get rid of the D15 I have now. I was just thinking of a D16A6 because they're cheap, they have allot of aftermarket support turbo wise, and they're supposed to have allot stronger rods than the SOHC VTEC's.

-Ben

uglystick
Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Thu Sep 26, 02   11:27 AM     

man, if i were you i would actually go BUILD an engine. find the strongest BLOCK, get a bare one. find the appropriate crank, have it machined, nitrided or chromed, then buy a set of custom rods and custom pistons so that you can maximize your rod to stroke ratio (less piston into the side of the cylinder wall sway).

i mean, unless your mill is going south on you RIGHT now, you have a great opportunity to build up a really bad assed motor one piece at a time.

do honda's use full floaters stock, or are the piston pins press fit? a lot of these variables equate to immense strength of the engine as a whole (if the shit is matched right - i mean, a billet steel crank with cast stock rods will = weakest link in the chain syndrome). if you build the bottom end to be bulletproof and able to accomodate most of your needs in terms of heads (or head options), you can have fun for years without fucking with the bottom end.

just like hot rod magazine's new sbc, i forgot what they call it, oh yeah - THE ANVIL. the fucker is built to the hilt so they can test all the new top end products... do that with your honda.

i'm no honda expert, but i'd suggest the crv block. i've heard it's pretty bulletproof. i'd also read a book called 'building the small block chevy' by john lingenfelter. granted, your honda aint a sbc, but an engine is an engine. and there's a wealth of information in that book written for the average joe with a modicom of mechanical knowledge.

oh, and go with aftermarket fuel injection. whether it's a wolf system, motec, halltech, you name it, you'll be far better off in the long run. money? take your time and it'll be there.

jason

uglystick
Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Thu Sep 26, 02   11:33 AM     

probably the 2.5rs scoobaru. wifey's car. it's fun. and i mean fun. like psycho giggling little boy on a sugar high fun. the dodge is soon to be in the shop to repaint the front end, add a new fender and put a trick hood on; the el camino don't self motivate no mo; the scout has a blown rear axle; the bmw- well, it'll probably run by then, lots of work on it this weekend. now can you tell how hard i drive my cars?

btw, visalia is where the fuck it is at. there are some FAAAAST cars down there. and some absolutely beautiful chop top style shit down there too. last time i was down, we went to in & out and saw THREE '67 GTO's IN THE DRIVE IN LINE! AND ONE IN THE PARKING LOT! and they were totally spaced out, not all in a row, so it really was a coincidence. that's my kind of town. no way my fiancee would move there. maybe to three rivers... either way, no jobs.

jason

1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Thu Sep 26, 02   2:05 PM     

thats where the driver for the boat i crewed on lives, we also raced in Chowchilla a while back and thats not far from there.

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?
MrPeabody

Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Thu Sep 26, 02   9:38 PM     

Hmmm...
Hadn't heard too much about Visilia being hot. Deffinently have to check it out;)
Actually what you suggested about the engine buildup is exactly what I was thinking. Since the engine I have now, (though not peppy), is running real good I do plan on finding a good deal on the engine I want and building the shiznit out of it on the side. The B20, (CRV), engine wouldn't work. The problem with 4th gen Civs, 88-91, is that anything over 1.6L can seriously affect the handling, structure integrety ect. of the car. That's all fine and good for a purpose built drag car, but for my daily driver and soon to be weekend autocrosser it spells no no. Anyways, whatever engine I do get I plan on building it up right so I don't have to worry about it blowing up when I raise the boost
Maybe we could hang out in visalia when you get down here, (check out the scoobaru;) Like at Mooney's Drive-In? The hottest place for racing right now is just outside of Fresno on old 99 Goldenstate. While ago I saw a blown 67 Chevelle woop on a gutted Vega with a worked SBC shooved in it. Now that was a sweet race. There was also a Supra that probobly coulda taken em both there, sounded sooooo mean.

-Ben

SweetNeon

Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   9:03 PM     

blaaaa blaaa blaaa

D15powerd
Re: how quick is the fastest 4cyl jap car??   Posted Thu Jul 29, 04   1:35 PM     

4 bangers aren't fast? HA! one word man....BISI. He was running an ALL MOTOR 1.5L NON VTEC and ran 10.70. That's pretty much the shittiest honda engine and without VTEC no less. In FWD configuration, the best i've seen is 8.08 in the 1/4 by i think Gary Gardella (the red ECKO hatchback). Erick Aguilar just broke into the 9's all motor with his GSR engine a few months ago too. As far as being street legal, it's hard to make it into the 12's unless you're running GReddy turbo's or a stroker B-series engine or a H22 motor. But it can be done, look at Exospeed.com's all motor CRX. It uses the D16Z6 (Civic EX) engine and that thing broke into the 12's, i'm pretty sure it's street legal too, it sure as hell wont pass smog though.
But power can be made from 4 bangers, it just takes more work and a little more thinking. We can't just slap on a new manifold and headers and gain 100hp like the domestic guys. We're damn lucky to get 15hp out of a part we bolt on.

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....

Edited by D15powerd (Thu Jul 29, 04   1:37 PM)

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3)