This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 3624

uglystick
this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock...   Posted Tue Jul 30, 02   9:20 AM     

Ok, everybody post every method they know of to decrease detonation with high compression engines. Forced induction or naturally aspirated.

Jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
BlownGTP

Re: this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock...   Posted Tue Jul 30, 02   9:55 AM     

High octane gas! A turbo is a test plant for gas. best off with 110

--------------------------------------------------------------ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
uglystick
Re: this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock.   Posted Tue Jul 30, 02   10:15 AM     

ok, i'll match that response...

pcv oil drainback system. these systems, available commercially or build-it-yourself, take the vapors out of the pcv, run them through a cool-can type canister, drain the liquid oil droplets into the bottom of the can, and either run the vapors out to a breather or back into the induction system. the advantages are twofold: 1. you don't burn a miniscule amount of your oil, instead, it goes into the can where a petcock can drain it back into the sump. 2. the liquid oil coming out of your pcv has a tendancy to cause detonation.

basically, you take those microscopic oil droplets out of the intake charge and help reduce the risk of detonation.

NEXT!

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...
hooyeah
Re: this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock.   Posted Tue Jul 30, 02   10:48 AM     

lower the compression lol sorry rookie engine guy

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
sweetdevil
Re: this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock.   Posted Tue Jul 30, 02   2:05 PM     

My nissan has a detonation problem.... (See my piece of shit car post) it isn't exactly a high compression vehicle though..... lol

__________________ Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
RatTrap383
Re: this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock.   Posted Wed Jul 31, 02   12:52 AM     

It's not nearly as exotic as Ugly's drainback system, but grabbing a fistful of distributor and turning it a little always works for me.:) Or better yet...call your local 76 gas station distributor, kick out about 1.2 bajillion dollars for a 55 gallon drum of av-gas, turn the distributor a lot, and invest in a neck brace.:)
Or better better yet...cold-cock the first driver you see with a stereo that's louder than his/her engine, gank his/her system (not that I'm condoning the hitting of women), stuff it in whatever you're driving, and crank it to the point you can no longer hear the knockl!
This last option should also be considered the most desperate. If you've got a high compression engine, the best song you're ever going to hear is most likely the one coming from your exhaust...knock or no knock.:)

Scott

sweetdevil
Re: this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock.   Posted Wed Jul 31, 02   7:17 AM     

In reply to:

crank it to the point you can no longer hear the knockl!

That usually solves all my car noises....

__________________ Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
uglystick
Re: this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock.   Posted Wed Jul 31, 02   9:08 AM     

me too, especially with my over-noisy lower control arm on my truck. not only do i not hear it, but i also keep the people outside from hearing it...

well, this is the import section so i wasn't going to mention it, but on D shaped combustion chamber heads with a raised quench area, you can deck the head significantly, put a thicker head gasket in and allow the quench area to swirl the mixture more violently, decreasing the potential for large gas droplets (which will detonate quicker than a good misted mixture).

and for an electronically controlled ignition system, that js safeguard multiple cylinder knock and retard system is the key. if cylinder 6 is knocking, it'll retard #6 but not the other 7. it's expensive though.

i just know these turbo / radical compression import people use other methods, i want to know what they are. too bad 90% of the import racers run 14's and up and never run into that kind of trouble. ever notice how all the import people know that one guy with that psycho build on his acura that runs 10's. but nobody has ever seen him in person...

jason

LS4_454
Re: this forum is DEAD! New topic: StopTheKnock...   Posted Sun Aug 4, 02   10:47 AM     

I'll also go with the high octane also and you can turn back the timing some, if adjustable. I had an experience with one of my VW's running 10.5:1, I switched from single points to dual and my pinging went away. I then switched to a Allison (Now Crane) electronic ignition and it still didn't ping. So I would like to say a better/hotter ignition is also something that should work. Ping can also happen when getting some poor gas from one station and you may have to try a water remover additive to get rid of it. I had this once and no matter how many gas tanks of 91 I put in it wouldnt go away.