This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 6793

fonzarelli
1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Fri May 17, 02   6:54 AM     

hello.
i have the opportunity to get a 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec hb but before i start to seriously consider it, i want to ask if anyone has any opinions/experience/or anything else to share with me about this car + engine.

i realise its an old car now, well, 11 years old, and that honda werent producing the quality back then as they are now.

So.. anyone know anything about the 4th gen civic hatchback with the vtec engine in it?

ive read up on the specs, 150bhp, 0-60 in 7.3secs, etc, etc, but i want to hear about experiences with handelling, modding (especially regarding fuel injection, exhausts and any engine upgrades available), etc,

I see katsujuracer has a '90 hb but i couldnt see anything about it on your web site.

details are:-
1991 HONDA CIVIC 1.6 V-Tec,
1991, H reg . 3 door, FSH, sunroof, alloys, fully immobilized, e/windows, c/locking, sports trim, long MOT, very fast, warranty available . £1,695. may p/x. Performance Cars.

Whittleford

Tel: (01676) 549049 or 07880516459
Distance: 19 miles
Price: £1,695

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=12217021

integraracer9x
Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Fri May 17, 02   7:50 AM     

Unfortunately I do not know anything about Euro / American money exchange rates, so I couldn't tell you weather or not the price is right, but what I can tell you is this: The 1991 Civic Hatchback happens to be a rather decent car stock from the factory. Now I've seen some crappy ass 91's that are rusting apart and have been neglected for years, but as long as the car has been cared for before you get it, it should last forever. Modding the older civics are as easy as pie. They have the easiest bolt on parts on the planet. There is more than an increadably wide array of parts for these cars, and I've seen my share these of quick civics. If I didn't have my Integra I would have bought either a 91 or a 92 civic hatchback. Because their honda's, almost any honda engine will swap easily with them. I highly recommend getting this car.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes."
fonzarelli
Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Fri May 17, 02   8:19 AM     

thanks very much. thats what i wanted to hear. i think i may take your advice if the car is in good condition.

fyi.. the car costs $2468.94 if my exchange rate is correct

integraracer9x
Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Fri May 17, 02   8:50 AM     

If it's in good condition, then it's worth it, if it's only in fair condition, pay no more than $2,000

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes."
300zx

Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Fri May 17, 02   2:12 PM     

im not too sure but i think immoblized mean it cant move...

TwIn TuRbO pOwEr!!!
300zx

Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Fri May 17, 02   2:17 PM     

immobile: 1. incapable of moving or being moved 2. not mobile or moving; motionless

looked it up.. so... incase i read it incorrectly that car is going nowhere fast!

TwIn TuRbO pOwEr!!!

Edited by 300zx (Fri May 17, 02   2:20 PM)

TheOdditie

Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Fri May 17, 02   2:20 PM     

I have a 91 Hatch, but mine doesn't have the 1.6 in it, just has the 1.5, so I can't tell you that much about the engine eccept that all the bolt on mods are for that engine, not the 1.5. But the car is great stock, I can't imagine what it is like when you add all the custom stuff to it. Mine handles great, I got clocked going 100 around about 110 degree turn, with very little bodyroll. Got anymore questions for me just ask.

"We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world!"-Fight Club TheOdditie TwisteD RideZ http://www.geocities.com/twistedridez/
Kutsuju_racing
Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Fri May 17, 02   3:05 PM     

ok fonz here's the deal! That car your looking at is the SiR!!!!! if it's in good condintion you need to jump on that! I would look at everything very closely. look for rust on the body and the undercarrage and also look over the engine really good....You damn Europeans drive like maniacs! I know this because I lived in Germany for six years!

back to the car that is a mid to low 14 sec car...that's a B16A1 motor it's the same motor that's in the now SI's it's well worth it and it has many after market parts for it! you can get Civic Type R parts for it if you want to stay JDM or go with just after market parts for the Si or Del sol vtec it's all the same motor all they changed was the engine code a number with each model...B16A1,B16A2 AND NOW B16A3 there all 1.6 DOHC motors. hope you can get it! and it's 160hp some European cars had 1.6 with 170 I think it was the SiR II though?

Peter S. Kutsuju Racing Pres
JoKeRCiViC

Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Tue May 21, 02   6:40 PM     

well i can give some insite cuz i have a 1.6 dohc vtec the engin is nice and need little work done if its in good shape and the civic hb i really love i own a 95 civic hb and it is my passion but ne way i think u will be pleased cuz with about 4500 in the engin u can run around 13s i hope this helped

jDmDoHcvTeC
Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Sat May 25, 02   10:01 PM     

If i were you i wouldnt even do anything to your engine. its weak to begin with. go buy a b18c5 or a b-series engine, trust me its worth the money

JoKeRCiViC

Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Sun May 26, 02   4:22 PM     

well first off what quarter mile times would i be lookin at with the engin ur talkin bout i get mid 13s now

Kutsuju_racing
Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Thu May 30, 02   7:02 PM     

Which motor is weak? man I don't think you read the post right? he has a B16A motor in it....weak? Tell that to lisa Kubo she ran in th 11's and 10's when hers was still a ligit 1.6.

Peter S. Kutsuju Racing Pres
ArtoftheSleeper
Re: 1991 Civic 1.6 vtec   Posted Wed Jun 5, 02   2:51 PM     

dont go b18c5, thats the USDM integra R..granted its a great engine, but its expensive, its big, its got high compression, 11:1 making turbo almost not an option..go with a JDM GSR engine before the R, unless you plan on going N/A. the SI engine, b16b, i hear works very well in your car, its a little lighter, easy to mod, and alot easier to come by.

This is all if you're looking to become a hybrid.

and i dont know about low 13's...14s maybe.

Edited by ArtoftheSleeper (Wed Jun 5, 02   2:54 PM)