This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 13333

WizzyThaMan
Buying an Import   Posted Fri Sep 21, 07   1:52 PM     

Hey waddup,

First of all, nothing against Domestic, I don't hate them, they are quite cool.
Secondly, I'm soon going to buy a car, and I really like imports, since that kind of car just attracts me and I like the tuning and engine modding you cna do with them.

Now is my question, What car is best to start off with and doesn't cost that much to maintain (tune/upgrade too?) I really like Honda Civics (especially 1996 3drs sedan)
I got some cash to spend, not too much but sure a nice amount. Don't start about Supra's or Impreza's.
Those I cannot afford.
And then, should i start off with a V-TEC or just a 1,5l? or what about an Si?
Let me know what you think or what else might be a nice car to start off driving with.

I don't drive fast, I fly low!
FastFiveO
Re: Buying an Import   Posted Fri Sep 21, 07   5:02 PM     

to mod a honda.. you need a crx body about 25k and a way to get a non street legal car past inspection as legal because by the time you make a honda fast it isnt street legal not including shop cost

86 mustang GT- lil boost lil spray lil mods
86 bronco 4x4 - 33's, mags, magniflow true duels, CAI ford racing 19 lb injectors's and much more
99 dakota sport - 318 v8
96 cbr 600 race bike
01RegalGS

Re: Buying an Import   Posted Fri Sep 21, 07   6:08 PM     

Depending on what state you are in, an older car is definetly a good platform to start with. If you are in a state that is not very rigorous in terms smog.

If I were to start off with a Honda, I would personally start off with a 1996-1999 Honda Civic. The 1999 is the last year before they changed the rear suspension.

There is also the Acura Integra. It has been described as a scalpel for the road. I have never driven one, so I wouldn't know.

There is also the Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. Subbies are decent cars, friendly to mods, and AWD.

The 1991-1993 Toyota MR2 SW20 is my personal favorite. They are a blast to drive, they look live very few other cars on the road, and have an optional turbo.

If you start off with an older car, then you are taking risks. But, an older car is a tried and true platform. If it is a popular car, then there will be a HUGE amount of knowledge about it, as well as a good amount of aftermarket support.

Wow. Sorry for a long post.

Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Buying an Import   Posted Fri Sep 21, 07   6:31 PM     

How much do you have to spend.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO

[External Image Removed]
WizzyThaMan
Re: Buying an Import   Posted Sat Sep 22, 07   3:12 AM     

Oh ya, i dont live in a state, I live in Europe, The Netherlands to be precise.
And if i have to estimate the amount of cash i can spend on buying a car, then it'll probably be like 4 grand (in dollars)
i know its not that much, but for a startoff i think its a nice amount of cash. I like Honda Civics alot, so its probably going to be one, unless someone else advices me something else.
CRX arent that bad too though.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Buying an Import   Posted Sun Sep 23, 07   12:59 AM     

Get yourself an early 90's Integra.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO

[External Image Removed]
WizzyThaMan
Re: Buying an Import   Posted Sun Sep 23, 07   10:24 AM     

there aren't too many integras around here, so any other option i have?

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Buying an Import   Posted Sat Sep 29, 07   10:11 PM     

I would recommend getting yourself an MR2, but an NA model instead of the turbo. Being a first car, it will allow you to really learn how to drive while having fun doing it. I feel that too powerful a car is never a good option for a first. You have to realize that because it is midship rwd that it will not be forgiving to mistakes, so you will have to learn to respect the cars boundaries. FYI I'm in the process of finding one myself.

[External Image Removed]
ViralYouth
Re: Buying an Import   Posted Tue Nov 13, 07   3:21 PM     

Um well in reality you don't have to drop $25,000 into a Honda to make it fast. You can spend as little or as much as you want but you gotta remember price determines speed. The only limit is how much you wanna spend. I'm not sure what the emissions laws are in Europe but out here in the states at least in Phoenix a fair amount of new comers start with 88-91 CRXs or hatchbacks because they're cheap and you can build on them but like I said it all depends on your budget and preference. EG (92-95) Civic hatchbacks are pretty popular and out here a clean one is about 3500 KBB. Don't listen to people who tell you it's stupid to tune a Honda because they're small engines but they have the ability to produce massive power. You can make a 2.0L Honda keep up or even beat a 5.0 Mustang. The only way it's stupid to tune a Honda is if you don't know what you're doing or how to do it right. All I have to say about starting out as far as MODs go is start with Intake, Header (Downpipe), and Exhaust. Those are the most common beginning mods out there. Once you get past that point then you can move onto internals and chipping. PM me if you need any help.