This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 4945

italian_ninja
Single or Double?   Posted Wed Dec 21, 05   11:03 PM     

whats the purpose or twin turbos? cant you get just as much performance out of a single turbo?

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Single or Double?   Posted Thu Dec 22, 05   2:29 PM     

It depends. With the Supra, you have a sequential ct26 setup that just doubles the volume being pulled in. If you were to get an upgrade kit, it would place a much larger turbo and a smaller turbo together so that the smaller turbo spools up faster and ultimately ends up spooling the bigger turbo. With that setup, the larger turbo spools faster then it would by itself.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
CamaroZ28

Re: Single or Double?   Posted Fri Dec 23, 05   5:30 PM     

Isnt it a good idea to run different pounds of boost in each turbo too?? just something I herd

Living life in the fast lane.....
FastFiveO
Re: Single or Double?   Posted Fri Dec 23, 05   7:08 PM     

depends the size of the turbos and how fast they spool at what peak. i personaly am going to run 10 psi per turbow/ twin t-3's

86 mustang GT- lil boost lil spray lil mods
86 bronco 4x4 - 33's, mags, magniflow true duels, CAI ford racing 19 lb injectors's and much more
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Single or Double?   Posted Sun Dec 25, 05   2:51 AM     

That would be a good idea if it were possible.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
FastFiveO
Re: Single or Double?   Posted Mon Dec 26, 05   3:26 PM     

why couldnt you run 2 boost controllers?

86 mustang GT- lil boost lil spray lil mods
86 bronco 4x4 - 33's, mags, magniflow true duels, CAI ford racing 19 lb injectors's and much more
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Single or Double?   Posted Mon Dec 26, 05   5:06 PM     

You cannot run a TT setup with either turbo having a different psi setting. If you have a twin setup, you have to run the same psi on both turbo's. If you have 15 psi set on the big turbo, but only 10 psi set on the smaller one, then there is going to be a problem. The smaller one will be limited in how much it will be able to let through because of the controller, and the bigger one will not reach more than 10 psi. You cannot run different psi on either turbo, it just doesnt work that way. Thats why they have TT setups, so you can run a much smaller turbo with practically no lag to spool the big one.

DBLDREW
Re: Single or Double?   Posted Tue Dec 27, 05   10:19 AM     

Even if it were possible to run 2 different psi settings per turbo it would be completely useless. There would be no gain from running one at a lower psi. Running a lower psi wont make it spool faster.

If there was a big enough difference between the psi per turbo, say like one running 12psi and the other running 6 psi. What would happen would that once the manifold pressure goes over 6 psi. the wastegate on the lower psi turbo would open and the exhaust gas would bypass the turbine. Now you have 12 psi of manifold pressure pressure pushing against the compressor and because the wastegate is open the turbo could stop and reverse spin.

I think what you heard is running 2 different size turbos, but the same psi. The smaller the turbo the faster it will spool up, but will have less total cfm. So less turbo lag but also less total power in the higher rpm, and on the flip side a larger turbo will make a ton of total power but will take a lot longer to spool up, so more turbo lag. The theory is to run one of each the smaller one will spool up very fast so that will cut down on the turbo lag, and the larger turbo will be able to supply enough cfm to make a ton of power. So kind of a best of both worlds kind of deal but it only works with running the same psi.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
CamaroZ28

Re: Single or Double?   Posted Wed Dec 28, 05   12:44 PM     

oh ok Yea I didnt know that, i herd that you would run more pounds of boost in the bigger turbo and that the smaller turbo with less just to make the bigger turbo work with out the lagg, but from what Ive read I am going with your guy's imputs. Yea mabe the two different turbos running the same psi, i might have misheard.

Living life in the fast lane.....
Unlucky_Z

Re: Single or Double?   Posted Fri Dec 30, 05   3:08 AM     

Well I've figured out A Single turbo has much lag and requires higher RPM to boost unlike a Twin-Turbo which one turbine is always spinning which still produces boost.

DBLDREW
Re: Single or Double?   Posted Fri Dec 30, 05   10:25 AM     

That is actually incorrect. It all comes down to the size of the turbo, not specifically if you are running a single or twin. For example lets say you want to make 500 hp, if you went with a single turbo it would be a pretty big turbo to supply enough cfm and boost to reach your 500 hp goal. So it would have a decent amount of lag. Now if you went with a twin setup the individual turbo would only have to supply enough cfm to make 250hp (2 turbos = 500hp) so it would be a much smaller turbo and the potential spool time would be faster due to it being a much smaller turbo. But here is the thing you are now splitting your exhaust gas between 2 turbos so you would still have a ton of lag (the turbo is ½ the size but it’s only getting ½ of the exhaust)

So just going with 2 turbos doesn’t guarantee that you will get less lag, unless you do the 2 different size turbos, one that can supply 300hp and one that can supply 200hp so even though the smaller turbo is getting ½ of the exhaust it is significantly smaller so it will help with the lag, but the tradeoff is it is actually less efficient so your 500 hp goal would probably end up around 480hp (with the same psi as the 1 big turbo or 2 of the same size turbos)

Now remember turbos are a bit more complicated then what I’m making them out to be, my example is very simplified just to help explain some of the differences.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
Unlucky_Z

Re: Single or Double?   Posted Fri Dec 30, 05   7:44 PM     

Woah that cool now I officially know... thanks

My Pony Car, 65' Stang , and my Jap Pony car, 240 Z .