This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 15118

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3  
CamaroZ28

Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Sun Dec 11, 05   7:23 PM     

I wouldn't mind owning a sti but the cost is quite expensive for only 300 hp and 300 foot pounds of tourque

Living life in the fast lane.....
rollinonhubs

Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Sun Dec 11, 05   7:24 PM     

yeah, i'd rather have a lancer

FastFiveO
Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Sun Dec 11, 05   8:49 PM     

i wouldn't mind having something better then both of them

86 mustang GT- lil boost lil spray lil mods
86 bronco 4x4 - 33's, mags, magniflow true duels, CAI ford racing 19 lb injectors's and much more
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Sun Dec 11, 05   9:13 PM     

They made it look more like the Evo, and they did it for a reason.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
CamaroZ28

Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Sun Dec 11, 05   10:29 PM     

you think it would actually help the market of the new sti's to make it more like an EVO..hmm I actually like the last generation better myself, mabe it would sell more with the new look...my friends says it looks like crap and he says EVO's are cool but he'd want an STI anyday over an EVO

Living life in the fast lane.....
rollinonhubs

Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Mon Dec 12, 05   12:19 PM     

yes i agree

Silo55
Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Mon Dec 12, 05   5:39 PM     

What makes the Evo and Impreza so expensive is the higher powered 4 cylinder engine and all the rally technology such as the suspension, racing seats, limited slip differentials etc. Plus AWD usually makes cars a little pricier, and the aftermarket rims arent exactly cheap either. Just what i think has made the price like it is, there still fast, 0-60 under 5.0.

buddhakwake
Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Tue Dec 13, 05   12:39 PM     

Not to mention, they are capable of quite a bit more than 300 hp with some work (some tuned versions have as much as 600-700 hp).

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Silo55
Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Tue Dec 13, 05   2:26 PM     

With that kinda power there amazingly quick. One i know of is the Cyber Evo having 700+ horsepower.
There quite capable 4 cylinder engines, one question maybe you could answer. Even with 600-700 hp most Evos and Imprezas dont have too high of a top speed, what causes this? Is it a lower gear ratios that give them the lightning quick acclerations yet not as high top speeds to other cars with that much power.

buddhakwake
Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Tue Dec 13, 05   2:52 PM     

Final drive ratio makes a big difference, as does the individual gear ratios. For example, some Lambos can go well beyond 60 in first gear but you'd be hard pressed to get an Evo that fast in first. A higher number in the final drive ratio means more acceleration but lower top speed (I think, it could be backwards, I'm very tired and hoping to stay awake for about 5 more hours so I can get myself on the proper sleep schedule for working at 4:30 am the next 3 days).

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Tue Dec 13, 05   5:59 PM     

It being a turbocharged car should merit it having longer gear ratios, but its pretty much the opposite due to it being rally inspired. Its a 6speed with short gear ratios, hence why its a good track car and 1/4 car, but not exactly the best thing if you want to go on on open track or top speed.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
buddhakwake
Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Tue Dec 13, 05   6:51 PM     

yeah, but it's not just longer gear ratios individually, it's also dependent on the final drive ratio (which I vaguely recall is somewhere around 2.5 or so in the Lambos). But yeah, it could handle longer ratios with all that spooling going on and the increased power from high rpm turbo action.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Tue Dec 13, 05   9:05 PM     

I dout anybody wants to spend the madcash to get another trans either.

buddhakwake
Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Sat Dec 17, 05   8:35 AM     

Nah, that's why so many Muscle Car owners swap out to improve their final drive ratio, because it's cheaper than swapping the tranny (especially if there isn't a tranny available with the gearing you want).

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: New Impreza STI   Posted Sat Dec 17, 05   2:32 PM     

I knwo that, but what are you going to swap into an STI? There isnt anything compatible with it (except MAYBE the WRX trans, which is made out of glass compared to the STI trans)

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3