This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 4554

ToMas89
1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Sun Nov 27, 05   8:47 AM     

I was looking into buying this car. it has only 90k on it, and is running a VR6 pushing out 175 hp. What do you think about this for the car I'm looking to buy, and what modifications would be best? (cheap, but effective, and relativly easy.)

buddhakwake
Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Sun Nov 27, 05   9:12 AM     

Just looking at the reviews on Edmunds.com I would say to stay away from this car. The engine seems somewhat underpowered for it's size (and it appears to be a two valve per cylinder engine, not good), which at just under 3000 lbs should be better than a 7.8 to 60. The complaints about repairs do not necessarily look good. Not sure of aftermarket support, but if it is as bad as it sounds the support won't be there. On the other hand, it is FWD (which is what I would recommend for a first car, unless you go to a real driving school and not just the basic one needed to get a license). Overall, I'd say keep looking.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
ToMas89
Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Sun Nov 27, 05   9:27 AM     

Well this isn't my first car. I'm looking for my 2nd car. Any Mr2 I found for the price im looking has around 100-120k miles on it. Will that last anylonger without having to do engine repairs.

buddhakwake
Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Sun Nov 27, 05   10:01 AM     

With a turbo, it'll need an overhaul (which from what I read would still be cheaper than the kind of things that the 1997 Jetta needs), but without a turbo it'll definitely be better. There were just too many negative things I found for me to recommend it. And sorry, got kind of mixed up on who's buying what. I always think anything RWD is better than FWD though.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
ToMas89
Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Sun Nov 27, 05   10:41 AM     

So if i buy a '92 MR2 without a turbo with 77k miles on it, it should, in theory run fine. What type of mods can i put into that, should I turbo it later?

buddhakwake
Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Sun Nov 27, 05   10:54 AM     

You can turbo it later, or save up for a bit and get a whole turbo engine for about 3 or 4k "brand new" (that'd be refurbished). For more info check out toysport.com, they have some of the best info and are cooperative, if a little slow, when it comes to answering questions.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Sun Nov 27, 05   2:37 PM     

My brother was going to get a VR6, but it never worked out in the end. He said it pulled realy nice and it was pretty fast, but I wouldnt go for a GLX with a VR6 swap in it.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
buddhakwake
Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Sun Nov 27, 05   8:21 PM     

There were a few reviews I found that said good things about speed (I still wonder about a 7.8 0-60 in a 2900 lb car with 175 hp) but the bad things were so extremely bad that I am hesitant to recommend it.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Mon Nov 28, 05   5:40 PM     

There is all kinds of bullshit wrong with them, which is why we never got it.. The day he was supposed to pick it up, everything broke.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
buddhakwake
Re: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX   Posted Mon Nov 28, 05   6:30 PM     

Exactly. One of the reviews talked about how almost the whole electrical system needed to be replaced by one owner, something that doesn't happen too often outside of British Cars.