This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 10330

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
italian_ninja
VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   9:04 AM     

My buddy put a VTEC engine out of an Integra GSR in his 95 Civic but he says "the VTEC's not kickin in" I think it has to be the computer thats having problems. and we just found that one of his hoses was zip tied on.

Maybe the computer got wet?

FastFiveO
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   4:33 PM     

if it doesnt have the right kick do a tune up and check for vacume leaks

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   5:33 PM     

No. From what I understand, he swapped out B18C1 from a GSR, and not the B17 from a 93 and under GSR. The reason VTEC isnt kicking in is because it is in "limp mode" The reason it goes limp is because the computer you are using is not a GSR ecu/ DOHC VTEC ecu, it is running lean on oil/fuel, or the VTEC solenoid is broken. It is always possible that it isnt getting the ignition that it needs either. I would say that you need to make sure he got the correct parts for the swap (ECU, Distributor, Oil, Fuel, and Water pumps, solenoid, and axles if he swapped it into a civic along with the wiring harness) Remember that it is almost impossible to hear VTEC without getting some sort of aftermarket exhaust system, and getting aftermarket headers gets rid of the secondary butterflies, thus eliminating any sound VTEC would make. If he is able to rev it past 6800 RPM, then the computer is letting him go past the normal LS redline, and it accepts the system he has as being safe for going up to VTEC redlines such as 8200. The only way you will know you are in "limp mode" is if he is being governed in RPM's to no more than 7000. Update me with more info.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
italian_ninja
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   5:44 PM     

Alright thanks Rotary. I'll talk to him tomorrow and tell him what you said. I think we'll try some simple stuff like fiveO said and pray that the problem and he's not missing something. He doesnt have that much cash right now.

thanks

buddhakwake
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   8:52 PM     

If one of the hoses was zip tied on, then you might want to take it to a trusted mechanic (if you know any you trust) to go over the whole thing and make sure it's okay. Anyone who would zip tie an engine hose is a real danger to an engine.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
italian_ninja
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   8:57 PM     

Yeah no kidding. Luckily it wasnt my friend who did it. I probably would have slapped him for the suggestion.

buddhakwake
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   9:05 PM     

If you were in the valley I'd know where to send you to get it checked out, but I don't really know anyone in Oregon (though I might be able to get some names from my Uncle in Phoenix, OR, if you're anywhere near there).

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
italian_ninja
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   9:08 PM     

I'm over on the coast about smack dab in the middle. Coos Bay bout 4 hours from portland. It's all good though my dad owns a shop here in town so we're gonna take it to him tomorrow.

buddhakwake
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   9:12 PM     

Ah, Coos Bay, I remember now. I think we talked about Oregon before. I'm getting old (quarter of a century now) and my memory is slipping. I like Coos Bay, but I prefer either Bandon or Gold Beach (I think that was the name of it, down by the CA border on the coast).

italian_ninja
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   9:14 PM     

yeah we were talking about Corvette's and you said you had family around here. Yeah gold beach is pretty close to the border.

buddhakwake
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   9:16 PM     

I wish I had his older Corvette (30th Anniversary in Limited Edition paint job), it was so nice when I got to ride in it with him that I can't even imagine how much fun it would be to drive.

italian_ninja
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   9:20 PM     

yeah I was working at a car wash over the summer and got to drive a '69 Stingray it was just around the block but it was still a hell of a lot of fun. didnt the '69's come with a 427? this one had a 429 Cobra Jet.

buddhakwake
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Mon Nov 21, 05   10:50 PM     

My dream vette is the 67 with a 427, but the closest I'm likely to ever get is driving the one on Forza for Xbox. Oh, and I'm really pissed because one of the cars I was promised when I was growing up (the 1972 Datsun 240z my dad had) is on that game. Never knew it rated with car enthusiasts like that.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: VTEC problems   Posted Tue Nov 22, 05   12:20 AM     

A vacuum leak has nothing to do with VTEC engagement. The only thing a tuneup will do is guarantee that you are getting the correct spark, and the motor will go into VTEC whether or not your car is running well. Also make sure that he is using the highest octane available.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
DBLDREW
Re: VTEC problems   Posted Tue Nov 22, 05   12:46 PM     

the 429 cobra jet is a ford motor, I don't think you would find one in a vette

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
Pages in this thread: (1) 2