This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 8081

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
neptunes514

first car   Posted Thu May 26, 05   5:06 PM     

hey im 15 right now and i was wondering if a nissan 240sx would be a good street racing car and if so what year?

FastFiveO
Re: first car   Posted Thu May 26, 05   5:15 PM     

yes 240's are good n slow just right for rookies like you

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
neptunes514

Re: first car   Posted Thu May 26, 05   5:51 PM     

r u joking around or r u serious

D15powerd
Re: first car   Posted Thu May 26, 05   6:46 PM     

240's can be made fast with either a turbo kit for the K-motor or you could (and i recommend) opt for the SR20 motor. 240's are more of a drifting car than a streetracing car. If you get a 240, go sideways with it, not straight line. If you want a "fast streetracing car" do the following:
1.) Find a light car with lots of aftermarket support
2.) Put a very large and powerful motor in the light car
3.) Get traction for the very large and powerful motor that you put in the light car so you can actually go fast and not just smoke the tires and look stupid.

"Rolex+650k a year+his very own tv show + Real estate broker + race team mechanic + rental fleet of 90 = a neon that still doesnt run." -BlownGTP

buddhakwake
Re: first car   Posted Thu May 26, 05   10:47 PM     

FastFive0 has a point, until you get some experience behind the wheel don't even think about making the car fast (for your own safety as well as the safety of anyone who might live in or travel through the town where you live). Learn to drive, and I mean right, not from video games, even if you have the force feedback steering wheel with the pedals. That shit is nothing like real life, and you don't want to go out and get yourself or someone else killed. Find deserted roads, preferably dirt roads, where you can learn how to control a real car, go to a driving school (like Bondurant if you can afford it, I've driven somewhere in the neighborhood of 200,000 miles in the nine years since I got my license and I could still learn from going there), then worry about having a good street racing car. Sorry to sound like someone's mother or something, but I've known people who have died from racing when they shouldn't have been, and I see stories on the news about it way too often (though really once is way too often). So learn to drive well, then get the fast car.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
neptunes514

Re: first car   Posted Fri May 27, 05   11:02 AM     

i was thinking about getting into drifting but i dont really know how to

buddhakwake
Re: first car   Posted Fri May 27, 05   4:23 PM     

High-powered RWD, then starting the turn you hit the ebrake real quick (that's the cheapo method) and then pop the clutch with the engine gunned. The wheels spin and smoke and you have fun. There are two different kinds, drift racing where you have a clock to beat in addition to the drifting and new (to the US at least) Formula D, just plain drifting with judges looking at the kind of drift, duration, speed while drifting, and overall style. Just the basics, there's a lot more out there to learn, so have at it, use google and other search engines to look for drifting, and even Formula D.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
neptunes514

Re: first car   Posted Fri May 27, 05   7:52 PM     

but if i want to get into street racing whats a good car to start off with at a good cheap price for like 5 g's or under

buddhakwake
Re: first car   Posted Fri May 27, 05   9:44 PM     

well, if you don't care about drifting, there's the old standby of the civic. if you still want to drift, you could try to get a 1980's corolla with a 4ag engine (great engine, can be pumped up quite a bit). those should both be startable for your budget, even though they would need more money to get great. and there are more, but I'm not an expert, I just dabble, and work on my cars (scion tC and 1989 MR2).

neptunes514

Re: first car   Posted Sat May 28, 05   2:26 PM     

yea i think that im gonna do drifting but there arent to many places to drift in detroit

neptunes514

Re: first car   Posted Sat May 28, 05   6:51 PM     

actually now that i think about it i'd rather street race its much more easier

FastFiveO
Re: first car   Posted Sat May 28, 05   10:41 PM     

a CRX or a Miata or a old Capri or something of that sorts is the way to go. small and light

Blizzard00
Re: first car   Posted Sun May 29, 05   10:27 AM     

I'm 16 with a eclipse, and I will tell you from being around your age, you need to start off with a car like this.

I can keep up with civics and some nissans, depending on the mods they got

Just get a natural import (civic, crx, eclipse, 200-240sx, maybe a Acura) and get the natural Cold Air intake, Catback exhaust, a Header or Headers dependin on SOHC or DOHC, make sure you can drive a stickshift, and take it slow..dont go out the first few months thinking you are the shit.

get experience and dont dick around on the main roads, go to backroads and make sure you know the roads first.

neptunes514

Re: first car   Posted Sun May 29, 05   11:37 AM     

yea i was thinking about getting a s13 or s14

FastFiveO
Re: first car   Posted Mon May 30, 05   12:26 AM     

never get a 240.. they suck a dude ran my buddys 90 300zx and the 300's motor was about to blow lol but the 240 still lost

and as for header or headers sohc or dohc doesnt make a diferents in the header its the cylinder count. or if you decide to customize one so you can run straight pipes or something of that sort with with 2 2to1 headers then run it to 2 muffelers and out the back or w/e

Pages in this thread: (1) 2