This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 2128

h22a
my prelude   Posted Thu Apr 7, 05   2:26 PM     

Hey does anyone know how to tell the difference between a prelude SH and a vtec prelude?

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: my prelude   Posted Thu Apr 7, 05   4:51 PM     

SH is Vtec. What year are we talking about here.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
MuscleCarGuy
Re: my prelude   Posted Thu Apr 7, 05   5:02 PM     

Don't the majority of Honda V-tech engines say V-TECH on the valve cover(s)??? That should be a dead giveaway. . . .

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: my prelude   Posted Thu Apr 7, 05   6:08 PM     

First of all its Vtec, not VTECH, its an engine, not a phone. Second, I think he means from the outside, as in matched door moldings or a spoiler as in the Integras, but the Preludes do not. If it is SH, it will have an SH badge on it, thats it.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: my prelude   Posted Thu Apr 7, 05   11:52 PM     

Like Rx said, they have the same engine, its the differential that makes the difference. In the MkV Preludes (like 97-04 or thereabouts) the SH had a special diff that could send more torque to the outside wheel while turning, which ideally would improve the ability to put power down during a turn. As I recall, this made the car a fair amount heavier, and actually slower (ever so slightly of course) in a straight line. But, beyond this special differential, there were basically no differences. If I remember right, you couldn't get an SH with an auto tranny, so that might be one give away, but the clincher should be the SH marking on the trunk lid. If I were going to buy a fifth gen Prelude, I wouldn't worry so much about whether it was the SH or standard. I would worry more about the maintainence done on the car, the condition of the body, and if it was raced before or not. Look up a Prelude fansite, it would list all of the differences. I don't know if www.hondaprelude.com is still up or not, it was shut down a while back. Good luck. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
D15powerd
Re: my prelude   Posted Wed Apr 13, 05   5:36 PM     

talljosh put that one nicely, hats off to you on that one sir....now if only more people could post good, technical replies.....

"Rolex+650k a year+his very own tv show + Real estate broker + race team mechanic + rental fleet of 90 = a neon that still doesnt run." -BlownGTP