This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 19138

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3  
whatthefukever
First Car   Posted Sun Mar 6, 05   12:59 AM     

alright so im 15 turning 16 in about a month and am currently looking for a first car, price isnt much of a matter sense i have the PIMPEST grandparents that will pay for anything 20grand and under. ive been looking at a couple models. acura rsx, toyota celica, mitsubishi eclipse, and hyundai tiburon. all manuals of coarse but ive been leaning towards the rsx. i just wanted some input on what you people think i should choose.

buddhakwake
Re: First Car   Posted Sun Mar 6, 05   7:32 AM     

Well, my personal bias is towards the scion tC (since that's what I have and I love it despite the fact that there isn't much yet out for the 2.4L engine in it, and no it's not the box or the other little dinky one). But I'd have to say that out of your list of choices I'd go with the rsx first (as long as you can get them to spring for the s version) followed by the toyota as those are not only good choices but the companies are reliable. I'd follow that in line with the mitsubishi (too many financial problems lately for me to trust but it's up to you) and the hyundai (not a bad performance value for the price but it's still a hyundai and I'm doubtful). Don't know how much that helped you but thought I'd throw in my two cents of advice just in case. The most important thing however is that you love the car that you get, no matter what anyone else thinks of it.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Sun Mar 6, 05   4:26 PM     

If you wanted to buy a new car, I would go with the RSX type S, since they dont make the Celica anymore. You could with with a Corolla XRS too. Its either Type S or XRS in my book.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
89civichatchman

Re: First Car   Posted Sun Mar 6, 05   10:35 PM     

Hey man even though you can buy any new car you want, if you want to make you a good import racer, in my opinion you should start off with a used car. (my preference is Honda) The reason i would start off with a used car is they are cheaper! Duh! But if you buy you a nice used car, say a honda civic used for about 6 g's, then you can spend more on the performance mods and really pimp youre first ride!

As far as what car to go with I personaly prefer a Honda Civic hatchback with the vortech engine manual trany. With that you can start a real mean street machine. Why a hatchback? Well you have alot of room for your thump in tha back!!! plus a honda civic has very good airspace displacement for systems!

talljosh85
Re: First Car   Posted Sun Mar 6, 05   11:18 PM     

Of the list I would vote for the RSX, definitely Type S trim. I would suggest a faster, used car, but as a first car I think the Acura would have more then enough power to learn on and enough to keep you entertained for a while.

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
nissanzxt
Re: First Car   Posted Mon Mar 28, 05   1:07 PM     

I would get a used twin turbo nissan or a twin turbo supra.These cars are already fast and you can find a nice one for about 15,000

talljosh85
Re: First Car   Posted Tue Mar 29, 05   1:42 AM     

For a first car? Show me a TT MKIV Supra runnnig for $15,000, I'd like to see it, hell, I'd take out a loan and buy it as a daily driver. But seriously, neither of these would be a good first car for anyone. The combination of rwd, horsepower, and the fact that I don't want to see either crashed by an amatuer makes a solid case against them.

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
italian_ninja
Re: First Car   Posted Fri Apr 8, 05   3:06 PM     

i wouldnt really go for the rsx if you want a real mean street machine the arent really that many parts out for the 2.0L yet. but if you just wwant a car that looks good and still has some punch then the rsx is definatly a good choice.

italian_ninja
Re: First Car   Posted Fri Apr 8, 05   3:08 PM     

2.4L enigine...my bad

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Fri Apr 8, 05   3:17 PM     

RSX is a 2.0. There are plenty of parts for the RSX out, and I have seen a Type S run a 13.8 with just boltons.

Samir "Office Space"
Peabody

Re: First Car   Posted Mon Apr 11, 05   7:40 PM     

If i were you i would go for a used car with around 50-80 thousand miles that would still be reliable (depends on the maker) but i'm guessing ur grandparents wouldn't buy you a car cheap then give u the rest of the money that u didn't spend on it to spend on mods, unless you really do have the PIMPEST grandparents ever....so yeah look for and oledr stang maybe or maybe something newer like a tC is nice or audi TT or nissan 350z...not sure how much they cost but can't imagine them being too much...acutally i just thought about it MIni coopers i know sound gay but they're awesome especially if you've seen Italtian Job they top out at 138 and have great handling

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Mon Apr 11, 05   8:11 PM     

Yeah, The Italian job is a movie, just like F&F.

Samir "Office Space"
buddhakwake
Re: First Car   Posted Mon Apr 11, 05   8:17 PM     

Be that as it may, the mini cooper, especially the turbo version is a pretty sweet car with great handling and quite peppy, plus there are options out there for making them faster, have seen things in the car mags about it. plus it's not nearly as small inside as it looks, and it's a BMW product which is a plus. The only drawback, is that it's beyond his price range, as they generally run about 25,000+ (although they list for cheaper bare bones).

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Tue Apr 12, 05   4:44 PM     

It being a BMW isnt a plus, BMW's are hard to maintain, expensive to maintain, and arent the most reliable cars in the world. Lets not forget the "Maintenance Free" transmissions, god forbid you have a fluid leak.

Samir "Office Space"
goththug520
Re: First Car   Posted Wed Apr 13, 05   9:10 AM     

dude i think you should get a used car so ya got alot of cash for engine upgrades and stuff. based off of the cars ive seen i would say go honda or mitsu. in my person opinion the regular celica is alittle to weak so if you get one of thoughs make sure that you got plenty of money for mods.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3