This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 19138

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3  
D15powerd
Re: First Car   Posted Wed Apr 13, 05   5:19 PM     

"I personaly prefer a Honda Civic hatchback with the vortech engine manual trany" -89civichatchman

When did they start putting Vortech engines in civics? LMAO. clearly you're a sound/audio guy....

$20k to blow? must be nice. The rsx is a good car, but the standard rsx is weak shit...basically a "new" integra LS....i think they come with like 140hp again too. If you're planing on going RSX, go type-S or go home. I've seen numerous K20A engines put out 220whp with just intake, header, exhaust and a few more put down 250+whp with more mods.

You could get a really fast and cheap honda for $20k, VERY FAST. You could also pick up a Turbo Eclipse if boost is your fetish too. It's all up to you, but i would get something used and dump cash into it. You'll be much happier in the long run knowing that you have a fun, modified car than the same car your neighbor has.

"Rolex+650k a year+his very own tv show + Real estate broker + race team mechanic + rental fleet of 90 = a neon that still doesnt run." -BlownGTP

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Wed Apr 13, 05   10:29 PM     

The base model RSX is the Civic Si. 160hp and 160lb/ft. The Si just seems nicer to me though =\

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: First Car   Posted Thu Apr 14, 05   1:31 PM     

"The base model RSX is the Civic Si. 160hp and 160lb/ft."

Sorry, brainfart. That engine is still weak sauce, K20A3....I hardly consider it VTEC still...it reminds me of the economy VTEC. Works like a 8-valve until a certain RPM then it works like a 16 valve. You could always get the base model RSX and then save up and start to build up a DC5 Type-R head on the side to later slap on there. Still alot of money though. Building up that head will probably cost you around $5k if you do it right.

-Crower Valvetrain and Cams
-TODA / TWM Individual Throttle Bodies
-Hondata K-Pro ECU
-Comptech (or custom) Header

it would cost a pretty penny but you would have about 250whp in all-motor form. The PacMan CRX put about 252 to the wheels with a stock DC5 type-R motor with individual throttle bodies and K-Pro (it was featured in ImportRacer mag and also on K20a.org).

"Rolex+650k a year+his very own tv show + Real estate broker + race team mechanic + rental fleet of 90 = a neon that still doesnt run." -BlownGTP

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Thu Apr 14, 05   9:51 PM     

I like the K series, same hp as before in the B16, but has nice TQ. I drove my brothers Si with the airconditioner on, and it still felt like it pulls harder. You can still get good Skunk2 and Spoon stuff for it because its a Vtec motor, unlike my LS which is a slave to Crower.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: First Car   Posted Fri Apr 15, 05   11:12 AM     

I hear you on the Crower slaveness. I was going to build up a Non-VTEC B20B and it seems like you're really stuck with one brand unless you want to go custom. Have you been looking around on Honda-Tech? They've got some Non-Vtec guys over there putting down some pretty respectable numbers...i think one i saw was like 184whp and like 150lbs out of a LS block.....good stuff for lack of a third cam lobe.

Mad respect goes out to the Non-VTEC and SOHC guys. Doing the best with what you've been given. I'm just obsessed with the nice power curve a VTEC engine offers....good bottom end on the primary/secondary lobes and a screaming top end on the third lobe.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Fri Apr 15, 05   5:30 PM     

Im on Honda-Tech, and Ive seen a few guys with nice LS's. To me, you dont really need anything more than 180whp. With that you can run a nice 14, possibly a 13. Ive seen GSR's with bolt ons run mid 14's and that probably makes them 160whp.

Samir "Office Space"
hooyeah
Re: First Car   Posted Sat Apr 16, 05   2:43 AM     

cobalt SS

SRT-4

beeyotch...shit lol
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Sat Apr 16, 05   10:53 AM     

The Cobalt, another one of the new 20 Chevy trucks and cars that nobody is going to buy. I think Ive seen an Aveo, a Colorado, and one of those stupid ass SSR trucks. Three.....since they first came out, and all I see is three.

Samir "Office Space"
Riceracer
Re: First Car   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   9:39 AM     

Cobalts are just a replacement for the Cavalier.

rabidronin
Re: First Car   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   10:40 AM     

Being someone who has tried to buy a car and then spend money on aftermarket parts, Its not as easy as it sounds, trust me. Your parents (unless they are gearheads) most likely will not dish out extra money for you to buy a used car and then spend extra money for their kid to go racing around town. Im sorry to be coming down on you, but it's a realistic view.
Also, unless you have a friend who is an experienced mechanic, you have to realise the extreme expense of having aftermarker parts being put on your car. Don't listen to these people that are telling you to go out and buy 97 Civics and stuff like that. Most likely these cars have already been beaten to hell by kids that thought they were drag racers, and you'll end up having it in the garage more than at home. DONT think about buying a used car and turbo/supercharging it. Turbos/superchargers can cost around $3000 not to mention the extreme expense of having it put on. Not to mention the larger fuel injectors, fuel pump, and exhaust you'll need to make it worth while. Plus, finding a reliable garage that knows how to add aftermarket parts to imports is a challenging task.
With that said, in my opinion, I think you should buy a new car.
I would recommend a Chevy Cobalt SS, Dodge SRT-4, or a Saturn Ion Redline.
Unlike what other people have said, the Cobalt SS is not just a Cavalier replacement, it is far better than that disgraceful chasis. The SS is almost as fast as an SRT-4 and is probably slightly cheaper. The SRT-4 is the fastest car you can buy around $20,000. You also have to remember, that with both these cars the factory offers upgrades to the engines, which are covered by the factory waranty, which is far better than going out and slapping on some turbo to a Civic with 120,000 miles on it.
I am not a fan of Saturn personally, but the Ion Redline is essentially the Cobalt SS. Since it is a Saturn, they can be found in dealerships with really low marked down prices. They are just as fast as the new Cobalt.
I would also like to mention that the Scion TC is now availible with a supercharger option, which is covered by the factory warranty. It is said to boost power to around 200hp. You also have to remember that Scion has Toyota reliablity and gas mileage, which is important with the gas prices getting so high.
If you are to choose the Acura RSX, make sure you get it in "S" trim, buying the base model would be a huge waste of money.
I DO NOT recommend the Toyota Celica or the current Mitsubishi Eclipse. The Toyota Celica is not going to be produced anymore, and aftermarket support for it is going to dwindle. The current Eclipse has been labeled almost "un-tunable." Dont let 2 Fast 2 Furious persuade you otherwise. Not to mention the Eclipse is far slower than the Saturn Ion Redline and is more expensive (with the Saturns price marked down).

Whatever you decide to do, you have to remember not to buy on an impulse, and remember to choose a car with realistic goals in mind.
Goodluck.

buddhakwake
Re: First Car   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   10:53 AM     

generally good advice, except for a couple of things. you don't have to buy the civic from a wannabe racer, they sell so many that it's possible to find one used in good shape. and the tC doesn't have the sc yet, I know because I have one and they haven't released it yet (supposed to be out back on april 1 but it keeps getting delayed) however many companies are coming up with things for the tC already so it's a good option at 16400 nicely loaded stock (mine was 19730 after taxes and fees and I added the six disc changer, TRD exhaust, scion alarm, and a couple of little things. it came with A LOT of features stock).

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
rabidronin
Re: First Car   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   11:35 AM     

Thanks for the follow up, I didnt know the supercharger was delayed.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: First Car   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   8:33 PM     

The Cobalt is a weak attempt by Chevy to pop their noses into the import scene. For the price of a Cobalt SS, compare that to the price of a RSX Type S with bolt ons. The S will go so much farther down the road in reguards to reliability and mileage, not to mention potential and the strong aftermarket behind it. I totally agree with you on the Celica, leave it to Yamaha to fuck up Toyotas streak of reliable cars.

Samir "Office Space"
ToxicCarbon
Re: First Car   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   10:21 PM     

OKOKOK!!!!!look here go to www.Ebay.com rite now! theres a yellow Toyota Supra Turbo fully tricked out including NOS nitrous system...the car will see rite now for $6,000.00 or you can bid on it in two days!

buddhakwake
Re: First Car   Posted Sun Apr 17, 05   11:05 PM     

yeah, those bastards. there are a few turbo options already though, and other things for performance. if you are interested, tctunerz.com is a decent site for tC info.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3