This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 3195

joedirt
83 civic hatch   Posted Wed Feb 9, 05   10:49 PM     

my friend has an '83 civic hatch but he wants to sell it and get something else because there is practicaly no clutch left. should he keep that car and get something else because its only worth $300 max. i mean he can get a zc or somethin with a tranny and clutch for only like 700-850 and i can put it in. what should he do

dcmcguy
Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Thu Mar 17, 05   5:53 PM     

give that piece away, cuz no one will buy it....second of all he should buy like, an AMERICAN CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Thu Mar 17, 05   10:45 PM     

You cant tell people in the Import forum to buy American, its blasphemy. Why buy American anyways when I can buy better?

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Wed Apr 13, 05   5:02 PM     

"Why buy American anyways when I can buy better?"

Damn straight, speaking as a mechanic though i love domestics....they keep me employed! Nothing more reliable than a Ford or GM coming in my bay at least twice a month...same car. Imports are the most reliable, followed by Europeans, then american cars....read the studies. Japs have a 15% comeback rate, Euro's like 22% consistently, then americans were like 33%.

Please god sell the crusty piece of shit '83 civic. Good God, and i thought OBDO hondas were old. Even if you swap'd the ZC in there....you be as fast as what? a stock integra at best? Tell your friend to save the car, get some cash and buy a project '90-93 integra or '88 to '91 civic crx or hatchback DX/Si, then build up the project car and use the piece of shit to get around town until it's built up and ready to go, then take the '83 civic and park it and use it as a shooting car.

"Rolex+650k a year+his very own tv show + Real estate broker + race team mechanic + rental fleet of 90 = a neon that still doesnt run." -BlownGTP

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Wed Apr 13, 05   10:31 PM     

Best bang for your buck, swapping a B18B into an EG hatch.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Thu Apr 14, 05   1:21 PM     

"Best bang for your buck, swapping a B18B into an EG hatch."

Word. Later down the road you can add a DOHC VTEC tranny like a B16 or GSR one, throw in some Stock B16A Pistons w/ ARP rod bolts, slap a VTEC head on there and you're talking low 13's with about 185whp to play with in NA form. Start mod'ing the head and who knows how fast you can go....

Cheapest Honda engine build IMO:
-B18A block (from a DA integra)
-stock B16A pistons w/ new rings
-ARP rod bolts
-B16A Head (this head is VERY similar to the Integra Type-R head, the ITR is slightly ported from the factory though)
-Golden Eagle LS/VTEC conversion kit
-B16 tranny w/ a good clutch

that combo should cost you around $1500 out the door if you shop around. Nets about a 11.5:1 compression ratio and * i think * somewhere between 165-185whp....add a gutted CRX and you'll have fun all day long.

"Rolex+650k a year+his very own tv show + Real estate broker + race team mechanic + rental fleet of 90 = a neon that still doesnt run." -BlownGTP

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Thu Apr 14, 05   9:54 PM     

I prefer the B17 GSR motorn to the B18A, but im a B18B kinda guy. Recently bought a sticker that said "DOHC NON VTEC", and replaced the Vtec one I had.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Fri Apr 15, 05   11:03 AM     

Yeah, but the B17 is the redheaded step child of Honda motors...more than a B16, but not quite a B18C1. It's an oddball.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Fri Apr 15, 05   5:32 PM     

Yeah, its rare, but its like 89 octane, not the worst, but not the best, but still a good alternative to either one.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: 83 civic hatch   Posted Thu Apr 21, 05   11:27 AM     

Good analogy. I really need to freshen my B17 knowledge up....there really isn't that much publication on the motor though...sad stuff.