This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 40487

Pages in this thread: 1 2 3 (4) 5  
buddhakwake
Re: first car   Posted Fri Jul 8, 05   3:09 AM     

But, until they build better cars (quality and looks) it's not too likely to happen.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: first car   Posted Fri Jul 8, 05   10:23 AM     

Exactly my point.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
FastFiveO
Re: first car   Posted Fri Jul 8, 05   10:59 AM     

jap cars are in a soso favor with me i perfer a domstic. and jap cars are all well and fine untill somethign eletrical fails then your screwd. everly lil part of new age jap cars is reyed on electronics. and well.. i dont know about that.

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: first car   Posted Fri Jul 8, 05   11:39 AM     

Something electrical fails, and then you change it. It isn't like its one big piece.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO
FastFiveO
Re: first car   Posted Fri Jul 8, 05   8:26 PM     

if 1 electrical thing fails more then likely its taking the rest down with it. especialy if they dont have the proper techs to do the work

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: first car   Posted Fri Jul 8, 05   8:50 PM     

That isnt true. If something fails, then it prohibits what it goes back to from working at all. Once the problem piece is fixed, all would be back to normal. The only things domestic lovers can find wrong with import is a bunch of garbage like "The cars are too small", "Everything is electronic, and once something breaks you are screwed", "American made is better". If any of those things were the case, then all of your cars are mechanical, and once something breaks it continues to run because there isnt anything holding the car back, your cars are too big and waste gas, and Japanese engineering is ahead of its time.

buddhakwake
Re: first car   Posted Sat Jul 9, 05   1:07 AM     

The problem with the domstics is they refuse to update to newer technology for fear of damaging "the bottom line". This is true of almost all American companies (look at the fact that digital fm radio has been prevalent in Europe for better than four years now and we barely have any in America). The problem is that unlike with most companies (where this is not too big of a problem, most Americans don't know about digital fm radio, and most didn't know about the fact that cellular phone technology is four or five years ahead of ours in the states...was with a friend touring a mine four years ago and her cell phone worked 200 feet underground while mine had trouble working outdoors on the campus at UCR) with car companies this kind of thinking will acutallly damage "the bottom line" rather than protecting it. So American cars continue to use older technology because they are afraid of the cost of switching over and using new engineering, while the imports (not just Japanese, but Euro as well) move beyond them technologically. There will always be people who stick to American cars because of the issues that Five0 talks about (and the electronics thing is no more than just a superstition, it is really quite reliable, unlike the old british cars, and VERY easy to fix, you just unplug the problem part and put in a new one), and because they are more concerned with coddling the companies than forcing them (with their wallets, the only thing that matters in a capitalist society, words mean nothing) by buying other makes. This is finally starting to happen and the Domestics are so far behind that they are in serious trouble, I just hope they manage to pull their heads out of the sand and start to change things.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
FastFiveO
Re: first car   Posted Sat Jul 9, 05   3:36 PM     

easily fixed at a very high price. im going to refer back to the 300ZX's agin. there old school yet very hi tech but you start having problems, and your not in a state that any of the local nissan dealers have the proper equipment to check your ecu. so further things go wrong untille every thing goes wrong. and in order for you to get your hands on the equipment would cost a good few grand..... technology is good until something goes wrong. it's kind of like owning a expensive luxury car or sports car vs a cheaper car. the cheaper car isn't hi tech yet simplified and simple to work on.. a expensive car is very hi tech. and has to constantly be in the shop to make shure nothing goes wrong and when soemthing does go wrong it cost you out the ass. any thing to do with electronics is expensive..

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: first car   Posted Sat Jul 9, 05   4:19 PM     

The parts not high priced at all. An entinre wireloom for a 94 MBZ 500SL 3.2 is 300 bucks, so you can imagine how much cheaper it would be for Honda/Toyota/Nissan. There is no way in hell that there would be a dealership wouldnt be able to service your car, let alone scan the ECU; hell, my local gas station can do basic things like that. I have a machine ( a much cheaper one at that) that scans brainboxes, and I have an OBD-II codereader just for my Integra (bought for $70 at Autozone) This myth you follow is far outdated, and these comestic car companies need to follow suit. Just look at the Corvette, it still uses a PUSHROD LS1!!!

buddhakwake
Re: first car   Posted Mon Jul 11, 05   3:45 PM     

You just need to find a better mechanic, there are shitty ones everyewhere (or sometimes they just claim to know more about certain kinds of cars than they think they do). I had a mechanic once who told me it would take four hours to change the spark plugs on my v6 Camry (he had to take the intake manifold off to get to three of the plugs, bad design) but it ended up taking him more than eight hours because he thought he knew more than he did.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: first car   Posted Mon Jul 11, 05   6:22 PM     

Only takes me 45 seconds =D

buddhakwake
Re: first car   Posted Wed Jul 13, 05   3:12 AM     

45 seconds to get under the intake manifold in a space with no room to turn a wrench or pull out a plug? That's pretty damn good. The design of the engine compartment of the 1991 v6 Camry was horrible, you could barely even see the spark plugs on three of the cylinders with the intake manifold still on. That's the drawback to turning engines sideways.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: first car   Posted Wed Jul 13, 05   12:40 PM     

I meant in my car.

DBLDREW
Re: first car   Posted Wed Jul 13, 05   2:17 PM     

In reply to:

The problem with the domstics is they refuse to update to newer technology for fear of damaging "the bottom line".

I really don’t agree with this statement. What new engine technology is the domestics not using? Lets take Ford for example they have 2,3, and 4 valve per cylinder engines variable valve timing, they have ffv (flex fuel vehicles) that run on any combination of pure E-85 (85% ethanol) all the way to pure gasoline. They have hybrid engines that in their escape suv can get 36mpg city. They are in development of an internal combustion hydrogen engine. You can read about it here…
http://www.ford.com/en/innovation/engineFuelTechnology/hydrogenInternalCombustion.htm

Ford is also in development of fuel cell technology…

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/specialtyVehicles/environmental/fuelCell/default.htm?source=rt&referrer=fuelCells_default

And last here is a little info on their modular hybrid transmission…

http://www.ford.com/en/innovation/engineFuelTechnology/modularHybridTransmission.htm

I mean realistically there is only so much “new technology” you can use on a gasoline 4 stroke engine. Every basic engine manufactured today basically is using the same basic princaple technology, with the exception of the rotary engine by mazda (which is owned by Ford)

Exactly what form of engine technology is not being used by the domestics but is being used by imports?

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
DBLDREW
Re: first car   Posted Wed Jul 13, 05   2:22 PM     

In reply to:

Just look at the Corvette, it still uses a PUSHROD LS1!!!

True but it makes 400hp and it’s hard to argue with the results, exactly how much HP are you making in your far technically superior car?

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
Pages in this thread: 1 2 3 (4) 5