This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 4394

viper471
89 RX7   Posted Wed Dec 1, 04   10:49 AM     

My friend is running a 89 RX7 with a stock rotary and twin turbos. but we need to find a way to get more power with out over heating the engine more.

For the man that has every thing he has nothing. The fly is always watching.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 89 RX7   Posted Wed Dec 1, 04   4:30 PM     

Get a bigger intercooler and radiator, and run the car with the front open (no bumper, or a bumper with no restriction) Eitehr that or yoru turbos are friggin huge.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
talljosh85
Re: 89 RX7   Posted Thu Dec 2, 04   12:07 AM     

You have twin turbos on an 89? Did you swap the motor from an FD? If so I can be of help, if you're confused and think a Turbo II RX-7 has twin turbos, you need to read and study a lot more on that car. Try www.rx7club.com and www.fc3s.org . There is an imense amount of knowledge about that car between those two sites. Good luck. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
viper471
Re: 89 RX7   Posted Thu Dec 2, 04   8:30 AM     

Hey thanx i'll pass it on to my friend. and yes we did get twins on the engine we had to do some work to the engine though. we took of the restricter plate i think. so it is illegal but she sounds like a ferrari when she revs.

talljosh85
Re: 89 RX7   Posted Sat Dec 4, 04   1:33 PM     

Interesting, what ECU are you running? Is the whole fuel system moded? What intercooler, and how did you run the piping? Are you using the 3rd y pipe or what? You're using all the 3rd gen vaccuum tubes and solenoids I'm assuming, so, are you also using the intake manifold from one? I've never seen just the turbos put on an FC and I'm curious how you made it work. The system controlling them is very complex, speaking from experience. Josh

bignick3303

Re: 89 RX7   Posted Sun Dec 5, 04   6:13 PM     

lol...from experience. im not dissin on u or anything, it just sounded funny.

viper471
Re: 89 RX7   Posted Mon Dec 6, 04   12:25 PM     

w/e im just trying to find out what we can do to drop the temp with out spending alot of money. we looked into cold air intake but we have to do a custom build for the car

talljosh85
Re: 89 RX7   Posted Mon Dec 6, 04   3:18 PM     

To drop the temps on the motor, you can: get a bigger radiator (fluidyne or koyo), purchasea lower temp thermostat, make sure the fans on the radiator are working right (if from an FD, there are two fans, controlled at multiple speeds, depending on condition. To check them, run motor with parking lights and visually check, if both are running at a high speed, then they're functioning ok, this can be checked out in more detail on www.rx7club.com), if you are using an FC radiator (as you probably are) it needs to be replaced and upgraded, along with the fans. Also, a vented hood can help to drop temps. Check www.fc3s.org and the 2nd & 3rd gen sections on www.rx7club.com and search for what you want to know. Oh yeah, nothing personal BigNick. Josh

bignick3303

Re: 89 RX7   Posted Mon Dec 6, 04   3:45 PM     

ha cool man. yeah its just that when u said that i remembered this one time when my friend said the same thing when he didnt know a damn thing that he was talkin about. ahh good times.