This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 3297

ICE
advice on my new car.....   Posted Tue Sep 14, 04   9:06 PM     

i just got a 95 civic coupe v-tech automatic though so i still dont know if i should do anything to it.....just wanting to know if i should even waste money on the car to be a little faster.

talljosh85
Re: advice on my new car.....   Posted Wed Sep 15, 04   12:21 AM     

I'm not a Honda expert (there are several on this board that can help you out more), but in my opinion, I would suggest either swapping the motor, tranny and ecu or going with another car. I don't think its too hard to find a civic with a GSR swap already done and working for sale, this might save you some hassles. Good luck, Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: advice on my new car.....   Posted Wed Sep 15, 04   4:37 PM     

Unless your gonna do a swap, dont waste your money.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: advice on my new car.....   Posted Thu Sep 16, 04   12:48 PM     

Don't waste your money. It will take at least $4000 to make that thing even a contender. IMO, if you try to race anything honda with an automatic tranny....you're wasting your money. If you want to race, get a manual car.
I was talking to one of the mechanics at the honda dealership the other day and he's opening up his own shop soon. His wife's '91Civic Hb runs low 11's at the track. Gutted dohc vtec track car. If you want a fast honda, sell your auto sohc. Pick up a lightweight civic (88-91 civic hb or CRX or 92-95 civic hb), MANUAL TRANNY and swap in a big DOHC VTEC engine.

Master Shake: "I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them."

JcAus
Re: advice on my new car.....   Posted Thu Sep 16, 04   3:16 PM     

Dude, sorry but I have to disagree. If you have the right Auto gear box and a high quality Torque converter and the right mods to the motor you will eat a lot of things on the road.

Have a look at a lot of the Drag racers out there (mainly domestic here in australia) Most of them have Auto gear boxes. You need to remember that unless you are very skilled you a person is not going to beat mechanics IMO

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
talljosh85
Re: advice on my new car.....   Posted Fri Sep 17, 04   12:13 AM     

There is a big difference between the automatic transmission in a stock honda and the auto tranny is a built hot rod or drag car for that matter. One is designed for reliability and daily driving, the other for hauling ass in a straight line. In a fwd Honda that isn't purpose built for dragging, the manual tranny out of a GSR or what have you is a much better way to go then the stock auto. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
D15powerd
Re: advice on my new car.....   Posted Fri Sep 17, 04   11:01 PM     

damn straight josh. If you put an auto tranny on a built honda engine, that's one of the worst things you can do. These engines are high revving and make peak power at higher rpms(7-10k). Honda's aren't exactly proclaimed for their low end torque. A good torque converter will help, but you need an engine that can rev to 8k plus and an auto tranny isn't going to let that happen. You'd be lucky to hit 6k...just after the engine starts to take off (4800rpm range).
You need to get a new car. If you don't have the mechanical skills or a good hookup, converting your car to manual and then swapping an engine in is going to cost you a pretty penny. Look for a car that's already manual, putting a body kit on it is easy, you can do that with any honda. But you need a good platform for performance if you ever want it to be more than a show car.

Master Shake: "I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them."

JcAus
Re: advice on my new car.....   Posted Sun Sep 19, 04   5:41 PM     

Very interesting points you guys have raised. I was running my old FTO with an Auto/Tiptronic box (4 speed), the engine had MIVEC similar to vtec, revved all the way to 10,000 rpm. I had fitted an aftermarket locking torque converter, and I was munching manuals all day, but as I must say I dont know much about the strength of the Honda Auto boxes

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
ICE
Re: advice on my new car.....   Posted Tue Sep 21, 04   4:10 PM     

at how many rpms is a civic vtech auto. supposed to rev? and i heard that if your in D4 and you drop it down to 2 while your driving it gives you a sort of boost is it true? and also is you start of in 1st then shift with the automatic all the way to 4th witll it make it go a little faster?