This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 14538

Pages in this thread: 1 (2)  
bignick3303

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Tue Sep 21, 04   5:33 PM     

lol?? are u being sarcastic by laughing or serious. i would get it. but then again thats me, i love hondas in and out. CORVETTE EATER RIGHT THERE, i would do same thing, if not i would do better by putting a b20-vtec in a hatch. that car right there is also another project i wanna do but right now i have to finish up my current one. whatever u choose i hope ya dont impulse on, but as for the hatch..impulse on that bitch right there!!!!!!!!!!!but make sure the motor is still in good cond.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Tue Sep 21, 04   6:28 PM     

Its an LS-V with 116k miles, i wouldnt buy it. I doubt its as reliable as it used to be.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
95delsol
Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Wed Sep 22, 04   7:15 AM     

We'll I went and looked at the hatch last night and I know hondas can have a slight tick in the motor and this one had a little bit louder tick. Plus when you let off the accelerator in 5 th gear it pops out of gear but not in any another gear. I told the guy I would think about it but I think I would just be in the same boat im in right now.

If at first you dont succede keep on suckin till ya do succede
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Wed Sep 22, 04   4:36 PM     

IF it pops out of gear, obviously there are transmission related problems. I dont know what slight tick your talking about either.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Thu Sep 23, 04   7:21 PM     

damn, you couldn't have asked for a better setup than that! The ticking sound is a bad sign though, and so is the slipping out of gear. How much is this guy asking?

The ticking could be all sorts of things, if the engine sounds like a diesel truck at idle, ask if he changed the cams on it. This ticking could be valve lash that needs to be adjusted. (Valve lash: basically the distance between the rocker arms, which the cams push, and the top of the valve springs. Too much gap will cause a clicking sound and you wont get the lift or duration you should= lack of performance and lots of noise) Adjusting the valve lash is easy shit, 10mm socket, screw driver, and a feeler gauge.
The slipping out of gear could be a worn/broken shifter fork. Him shifting like a mad man or something.

I would have to see/drive the car, but the engine + tranny may be lemons. Depending on what kinda of parts he has on it, it may not be worth the trouble. Worst case: you need to rebuild the bottom end ($600) and need a new tranny ($350)....so i'd be sure to knock a grand off his asking price. If he gives you shit about it, walk away...it's better than getting stuck with a lemon. If you really want this car, spend some extra cash and take it to a mechanic during the test drive. Have him do a compression test to make sure the bottom end is in pretty good condition and not burning oil, then just have him look over the engine bay. For the $100 this may cost, it's WELL worth it.

"Rolex+650k a year+his very own tv show + Real estate broker + race team mechanic + rental fleet of 90 = a neon that still doesnt run." -BlownGTP

95delsol
Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Mon Sep 27, 04   11:58 AM     

Well the transmission would slip out of 5th gear and no other gear, and the guy said the ticking was from everyday use. His asking price was $6,000 I offered him $5,500 and he wouldnt even consider it.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Mon Sep 27, 04   5:05 PM     

If he sbeing a bitch like that, then you dont need it.

Samir "Office Space"
bignick3303

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Mon Sep 27, 04   8:22 PM     

yeah he does have a point..just take ur time on finding a car i guess.

D15powerd
Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Tue Sep 28, 04   1:41 PM     

the ticking is from everyday use? lol, okay, that's bullshit right there. Pass this car up, sounds like a lemon for sure, tell him he can keep his car.

"Rolex+650k a year+his very own tv show + Real estate broker + race team mechanic + rental fleet of 90 = a neon that still doesnt run." -BlownGTP

BlownGTP

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Wed Sep 29, 04   9:21 AM     

My beater integra tics like crazy with 182k on it. She runs like a champ.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
95delsol
Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Thu Sep 30, 04   12:34 PM     

Could you tell me if the D15 B will bolt straight up to my car? And if not what else would I need?

bignick3303

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Thu Sep 30, 04   10:34 PM     

wait...so ur gonna stick with sohc?

95delsol
Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Fri Oct 1, 04   6:43 AM     

i dont know, friend has one out of a 97 civic he'll sell me for $300. Im thinking about putting it in and selling it. It would probably sell beter with the vtec.

bignick3303

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Fri Oct 1, 04   7:10 AM     

well then..im sure it would bolt right on..since the one u recently had was a d series and this new one is also gonna be a d series..

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Need some advice on motor swap for me   Posted Fri Oct 1, 04   6:22 PM     

It might give you an extra 100 bucks on your car.

Samir "Office Space"
Pages in this thread: 1 (2)