This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 1339

buddhakwake
advice   Posted Mon Aug 30, 04   1:00 PM     

New to the site, looking for any advice for an 89 MR2, to start with would like a new CA LEGAL engine. Where to buy, what to buy, etc. All constructive help is greatly appreciated.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
talljosh85
Re: advice   Posted Mon Aug 30, 04   5:29 PM     

A brand new motor would be very hard to find for that car, seeing as how is 15 years or so old. Do you have the supercharged version or the n/a? I think you might be able to find a low mileage used motor or a rebuilt one somewhere, but a brand new one would be way hard to find for that car. Try this website (I just found it): www.mr2sc.com and look around, somebody might be able to help you out. As far as smog is concerned, you might want to find out if there was a difference between the cars for sale in CA and those for sale elsewhere. I know that the 3rd gen RX-7 was like this, but I don't know about the MKI MR2. Good luck, Josh.

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
buddhakwake
Re: advice   Posted Tue Aug 31, 04   4:56 PM     

Thanks for the help Josh. I have the N/A version, but would not be averse to upgrading if possible. I am trying to communicate with Toysport in So Cal, but having some difficulty, as I can only seem to actually talk to anyone through email and that process is quite slow. They recommend upgrading to a Toyota 3SGTE or a 5FSE, but I am not familiar enough with the engines to know the ramifications. Any additional help out there?

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
talljosh85
Re: advice   Posted Fri Sep 3, 04   6:54 PM     

A good friend of mine purchased a 3sgte from japan to convert his MKII MR2 to turbo, and from what I know the motor likes to be upgraded, but it isn't cheap and they aren't the most common of engines either. I don't fit too well in MR2's so I've never really followed them much, I just suggest looking around the net for owners groups and the like. Good luck, Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!