This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 10450

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
draface
91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Fri Aug 20, 04   11:26 AM     

Hey all

I'm new to this website and I came here to get some useful info. Just by looking at your replys, I can see some of you know your import stuff. I hope it wears off on me because I'm in a desperate situation. Please look on and check out what i need help on...

I ran through a huge puddle of water in my 91 crx. Much water went inside the engine and the combination of water, air, oil and fuel caused the pistions to go in the wrong direction. Basically one piston went screaming through my engine. Wasn't a fun night .

Well with much consideration on if I should get a differnet car, I have been weighing out my options. I like the x and I may keep it. I have done some reaseach and web shopping on performance engines. here is where you can help. I have gotten a qoute from Japan Direct. Are they any good? They gave me a price of $1795, which includes the b16 engine, transmission, ecu, shift linkage, axles, and clutch. Is this a decent price for all these parts? How well are these engines? Do you know any one who has done a swap like I might? How much does labor usually run on all this? How much for rewiring the new wires to the engine?

Please ask any questions,I may not of explained something!!

Edited by draface (Fri Aug 20, 04   11:38 AM)

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Fri Aug 20, 04   4:03 PM     

1795 is pretty good for all that stuff, but labor is gonna a considerable amount more, just be ready to spend some extra cash (wink wink) Next time, buy a mugen airbox, its got a snorkle so you dont have to worry about the whole water problem.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Fri Aug 20, 04   8:31 PM     

$1795 isn't bad if that includes shipping, if not, you can find better on eBay for sure. A B16A1 swap would be pretty cool, but I gotta ask why not stick with the D-Series?
The B16A1 cranks out about 160 flywheel hp and about 111lbs of torque, the JDM D15B engine i have in my hatchback comes from the factory with 130hp and it's shady on torque numbers but somewhere around 108lbs. Here's why i ask: This swap is going to run you $1800 for parts, $300 for a mount kit, and a grand up for installation. So your EASILY talking about $3200+. I'm pretty sure you can find a way to get 30 more hp out of a d-series for $3200, if you catch my drift.
If you have the CRX Si, you're in luck and have to do very little wiring. If you don't, you need to convert your dpfi to MPFI, a real pina i've heard. The Si tranny is geared great for the JDM D15 as well.
If you have the Si i would get a D16Z6 or a JDM D15B VTEC engine and wire up VTEC and an o2 sensor, you can pick one of these engines up for around $500 with shipping on a good day. With one of these engines all you need to get is the longblock engine and an ecu. With the money left over you could probably turbo it too, how does 170 hp and 140 lbs of torque to the wheels sound? Goodbye type-r's!
The only disadvantage to the D-series is the lack of hp. They cost half as much to build as a B-series engine, and if you break something it's cheap to replace. The SOHC VTEC engine in your car has been know to run mid 14's in the quarter with the basic bolt-ons, a stock type-r does it in 14.7.
I love these engines to death. I keep up with GSR's right now and have only spent $500 not including the swap ($700 w/ tranny). Everyone loves the underdog. Any more questions?

Master Shake: "I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them."

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Fri Aug 20, 04   9:50 PM     

Your forgetting the factor that the D series doesnt have the potential of a B series.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Sat Aug 21, 04   12:39 AM     

this is true, but they recently did an article in sport compact magazine about this. Basically it's great to have a 300hp civic, but on the street drivability comes into play. Traction is the number one problem with hondas, and that much power isn't going to help unless you want to drive around with slicks on. The difference is with all that power your just gunna spin the tires while the competition drives away. You have more power, but you can't put it to the ground and actually USE it, cuz it all slips away. I feel that sometimes there is a limit to how much power you can have on the street. 170hp at the wheels is power you can feel that wont let the wheels spin in fourth gear. Traction is the biggest concern. If this is going to be a track driven car, then b-series all the way for the price. But for the cheapo's out there like me, I'll stick with my little d and maybe boost it. It all depends on your style, goals and intentions with your car.

Master Shake: "I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them."

draface
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Sat Aug 21, 04   10:36 PM     

I do have the 91 crx si

I really don't know... what I should do with this engine. THe stock engine in the crx is blown right now and theres no way I can really fix it. It would cost me $$$ to just fix the pistions inside the engine. So reparing the d series would be a waste. I only want to spend around 3 g's on the car. That's all I can afford. Blockbuster doesn't pay that much, you know what I mean. Anyways, I like the sound of the b and z6 engine specs. What would you recommend? ARe these engines reliable? What places should I look for engine prices and everything else? Let me know anything else I should know. Thanks Josh

Edited by draface (Sat Aug 21, 04   10:38 PM)

D15powerd
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Sat Aug 21, 04   11:37 PM     

The cheapest route would be to pick up the Z6 engine, all you need is the engine and you can activate VTEC with an RPM switch or an Apexi VAFC. The B-series engines are cool, but are highly over-rated. I would pick up the Z6 and turbo it, you can reuse your old tranny and all the old stuff, all you need is the engine: cheapest route to go. You can make this engine fast for $3k no problem. The engine should run you about $700 and you can pick up a GReddy turbo kit for about $1500. Pretty much all honda engines are reliable, it's a honda lol. I just picked up my engine on eBay, cuz a lot of suppliers put their products on there to get rid of surplus stuff.

draface
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Mon Aug 23, 04   12:24 AM     

I can't reuse my old tranny cause its broken too. I need a new one. what do you think is the better deal since i have no engine and tranny. Its a 91 si and i like horsepowe

Thanks Josh

SweetNeon

Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Mon Aug 23, 04   7:58 PM     

do you like money?

draface
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Mon Aug 23, 04   10:07 PM     

err , yes I need money

If i can get a bargin that has horsepower and its cheap then I win

SweetNeon

Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Tue Aug 24, 04   7:32 AM     

nitrous is the best bang for your buck

661RareRacer
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Thu Sep 30, 04   12:01 AM     

I'm new as well and Im digging your site. I'm all about the B series, I've had just about every other ingine before finally putting a B series in, man was I glad I did that. Don't mess around w/ any other the potential just isn't as good as the B series. If you have money just flowing out your ass, go w/ a new K motor, otherwise B series is your answer.

91 CRX Si w/ B17A GSR
95 Integra 4 Door GSR
draface
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Thu Oct 14, 04   12:28 PM     

I bought a b16a1 a couple weeks ago and I can't wait to have it installed. How fast do you think I be able to go?

dreamer
Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Thu Oct 14, 04   1:20 PM     

What makes B series engines overrated?

bignick3303

Re: 91 crx b16a1 swap   Posted Thu Oct 14, 04   1:25 PM     

ha i wish i were u.. i wouldnt mind havin a b16 in a crx. i like the combination there.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2