This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 11355

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Rx_otary_Se7en

Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   5:56 PM     

Ive got a 97 Integra GSR Theft Rec. which basically means ive got everything gsr except the motor. I want to swap a B16 head onto it and i found one for a relatively cheap price, but i want to know what else i need besides a new brain, fuel pump, and oil pump. I am planning to buy forged pistons and rods to be installed with the head itself. Did i miss anything on the parts list or am I good to go?

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   10:52 PM     

nice platform, wish i had a teg to play with, ya lucky bastard! Have you found a B18 block yet? Forged pistons and rods are a great start. Keep me posted on how it's coming along. Here's an article that i think will answer most of your questions:

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?
showtopic=33559

Just copy and paste the whole web address, the link doesn't get you where you want....

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....
D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   11:02 PM     

GET THE ENDYN PISTONS!!!! PLEASE!!!!
www.theoldone.com

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Thu Jul 29, 04   2:12 AM     

I aleady have the motor in my car, im just gonna have the head put on. I was planning to just get Jun or Toda pistons and rods, but my bro mentioned the endyn ones. I dont have a job so i cant really do all of this at once. Ive been saving since christmas, before i got this car, to do all this stuff, but im gonna get a job soon so i dunno, ill have everything done with a year or so.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Thu Jul 29, 04   12:41 PM     

sounds tight, i would definately check out the ENDYN roller wave pistons though, they're supposed to add like 20hp or something like that. The guy who designed them is pretty respectable and knows what he's doing, i read somewhere that he worked for VW for like 15 years designing parts. I might get a set for my d-series soon, but i'm working on an individual throttle body setup right now, hehehehe!
What do you plan on doing with the LS/V? Boost, NA? If you're just going to run all motor, i would get some Eagle rods or something that's upgraded but still pretty cheap. The JUN and TODA stuff is expensive, i would only use them for valvetrain parts. I would check out the ZEX/Comp Cams camshafts too though. They are hella cheap and make GREAT hp and torque numbers.
The JUN stage 3 cams are said to give (qouting my honda book) "...a solid 10 hp peak-to-peak and as much as 15 hp elsewhere in the rev range. It is important to note that there was no loss in low-speed power with the larger JUN cams..."
Engine: 1.8L GSR
JUN cams: +15hp; no change in torque
ZEX cams: +19hp and +10lbs torque
most gains with the JUN cams were above 7300 while the ZEX ones gained everywhere.
But i would just pick up some new rods ($400 ones), ENDYN pistons if you have the cash, and the ZEX valvetrain....then get the TODA cam gears and play it off like it's all TODA stuff lol! I wouldn't run higher than a 11.5:1 compression out here in the desert with our shitty 91 octane, for when you're looking for pistons.
Just look on that Hondaswap thread for the parts you need, GSR oil pump, water pump etc etc.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Thu Jul 29, 04   11:11 PM     

The thing with doing as ls vtec is taht i cant do it myself, and its crazy comlicated, so finding someone to do it is going to be hard. Im gonna have to have the head machined, then have to tap the block for oil and so on. I plan on just getting the basic I/H/E and then deciding on whether or not i should get a differetn head or not. Money is an issue and with no kob it makes things ever worse. Not really looking for a crazy drag racer, but something more than a stock integra running a low 14. Im pretty sure i can do that with those comp camps and a set of cam gears valves and valve springs added onto that.

Samir "Office Space"
uglystick
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   2:23 AM     

yeah the guy who runs endyn had a honda civic with a stock single cam engine in it with a supercharger....

it was so fucking badassed that they put it in hot rod magazine about 4 years ago.

nuff said.

jason

D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   10:18 AM     

I saw that article, it was this sick-ass white EF hatchback with the SOHC (i think it was still the D16A6) in it. Made like 400+hp.

D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   10:35 AM     

Race-Prep MAY be able to do some machine work, they have all the tools, but they are mostly domestic guys. I contacted them a few months ago about having my D15 blueprinted by them and they also said they were doing some LS/V's as well. So it sounds like they've done it before, and the machine work isn't that complicated.
If your looking for just a budget LS/VTEC, this was the route i was going to go, might give you some ideas...

-OEM JDM Type-R pistons (under $300w/ rings)
-Keep the stock rods, and use ARP rod bolts ($55)
-OEM GSR water pump
-OEM GSR oil pump

-P72 ECU

-Stock OBD1 B16 head with intake manifold, etc.
-Oil line kit from Inline Four (under $100)

That should be easily under a grand in parts right there. The only thing you have left is the machine work. Race-Prep qouted me $600 to build the bottom end with my own parts. Labor and all, it might cost you another grand. So $2k all together to get her running like a champ. Then later you can add the cams and other goodies. You should be just as good, or better, than the B18C1 at that point. And just on a side note, i can't remember where i read it, but the B16 head flows just as good as the B18C5 one...so it's pretty good from the factory until you get cash to port it out.

uglystick
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   3:32 PM     

Race prep built infiniti cart engines I believe as well, so they know their way around just about everything. Their bread and butter might be stroker V8 Ferds and Chibby's, but after talking to Joe extensively I'm sure they could do a top notch job on anything you threw at 'em.

If you REALLY want a hot shit job on a honda engine, contact Comptech in El Dorado Hills, CA - probably the best Honda specific engine machine shop on the west coast.

'Course this kid's probably got a theft recovery vehicle and no money to throw at it because he's a fat ass liar. Wonder what happened to the turbo RX-7 he was boasting about getting in a similar manner when he showed up here in the first place.

Jason

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   3:54 PM     

If you want a picture of it id be more then happy to show you. Picture fo the Tach and then a picture of the motor, GSR cluster, LS motor. Ill put a pizza box on it if you want me to.All ive got is 800 bucks to spend on it right now.

Samir "Office Space"
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   3:58 PM     

The car has everythign it needs to work cuz my dad just used an LS motor he had hanging around in his yard, and he gave me a set of the GS wheels. I wouldnt want him to put a GSR motor simply because its gonna cost him money (and the bitching with him never quits). Needs a good wax job on it for some minor swirls and hairlien scratches.

Samir "Office Space"
uglystick
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   6:26 PM     

If I say yes, actually DOOO ITTT! I'd rather have a photo of you with it, so we can see how young you are.

Dad's yard an import only place (this, I actually believe)? At which point junior here could probably show us a handfull of cars that are "his." But either way, yes I want some photos. Humor me.

Jason

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   6:47 PM     

im 17, you could have asked and made it a lot easier, and there arent an cars there, parts only, they strip them in a yard in Fontana.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   11:23 PM     

Uglystick, seriously, i don't mean to sound like a whiny little bitch, but stop the hating already. Keep this thread technical, if you want to bitch talk each other, do it over PM's so no one else has to deal with it.
I dont' care what car you have, had, or are planning to build. I don't care how fast it is or how nice it looks. If you are a dick (GTP's direction), no one (especially me) will care. If you can't be helpful and contribute to other people, get off the site. It's as simple as that. Yelling over the internet is so fucking pointless, prove you know something and contribute your tech knowledge to those less fortunate. Damn....

Rx, sounds like you have the makings of a good project car there. You have anyone that you know of that can do engine work for you? Family hookups and such? It would help you out alot and save you cash too. Having access to an import yard will be to your best advantage. What is the condition of the car? You said before that it was a theft-recovery and that the engine was stolen....have you dropped the LS engine in yet? If not, save yourself some time and build it up while it's out of the car. Use that $800 you have for the parts list i mentioned above (the budget one), and then find yourself a job that you can put up with, and have fun with that car! Keep me posted!

Edited by D15powerd (Fri Jul 30, 04   11:24 PM)

Pages in this thread: (1) 2