This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 11355

Pages in this thread: 1 (2)  
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Sat Jul 31, 04   4:38 AM     

I already have the LS motor in it, but it wont be a big deal to have it taken out. The guy next door to us fixes cars, and 90% of the time eh gets parts from us, so eh always does stuff for us really cheap, or free, his regular price of swapping a motor in is like 300 or 400 bucks, but wed prbably get a good discount. My only problem is getting someone to do the conversion, after that i can give it to my guy to put it in. Its way over my price list right now, but id still like to do it. Ive decided ot go with the basic for nowand see how I like it, and if it isnt enough for me then ill upgrade. Thanks for your help (and support, uglysticks a mad hater when it comes down to it, guess you havent cooled down yet eh?)

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Sat Jul 31, 04   12:41 PM     

no prob man. first i would just use the cash you have to get a parts list together, then i would call up Race-Prep and get a quote from them on how much machine work will be, get the cash together and pull the engine. It's going to take time. I just graduated high school and i've been building my car on a teen's budget, it's tough to compete with those 5 or 10 years older who have descent jobs making nice cash. It just takes more time that's all. Why do you think i'm sticking with my D-series? $540 for a new engine shipped, can't beat that!
Once you put the engine back in, you probably wont notice that much of a difference at first. Turbo Mag did a Ls/V write up in july '02, over the old LS engine the conversion only gains about 15hp and 13lbs of torque. It doesn't seem like alot at first, but the potential for more power is what counts. You can easily get this engine pumping out 200+ hp to the wheels with mild modification. You'd have better power than a Type-R for about half the cost.

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....
SweetNeon

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Sat Jul 31, 04   6:33 PM     

what junk yard does your family own? ask your dad if he has ever heard of American auto wrecking back in the day. how long has he been in the salvage business? we had over 10 junk yards in so-cal in the 70s --- 90s

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Sat Jul 31, 04   8:58 PM     

weve only got 2 to supply our dealership, my dads been aroudn for like 20 some odd years. He owns Express Auto in fontana and Alhambra.

Samir "Office Space"
uglystick
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Wed Aug 4, 04   4:05 AM     

"Yelling over the internet is so fucking pointless, prove you know something and contribute your tech knowledge to those less fortunate. Damn.... "

You're right....but you know what's even more pointless? Explaining something to the point of oblivion for someone who may very well not act on any of the information they asked for in the first place.

This is the reason I was originally upset with RX-7 here...go check the threads, he went through this whole process of 'explain everything under the sun to me and/or evaluate the following ideas i have' for a mythical and/or never going to happen project rx-7 before this topic came up.

And don't preach to me about how you think I'm a dick. I know this, mang! I have reasons, I've been on this board for a long time and I've provided good advice to a multitude of people from young kids without drivers licenses to people in the 13's shooting for the 11's. What bothers me is when someone starts a technical thread and the active participants are really doing nothing but listening to their brains rattle.

Again, here we are giving a kid with a theft recovery car advice about going to race prep and comptech...and he's already said he had $800 tops to work with. Without seeing my history and a good cross-section of my posts here, you probably wouldn't realize that my niche is not only to be the guy who puts the smackdown on the bandwith hogging smart-assed idiots, but also to be a nice guy who would bend over backwards to help someone who has an open mind and will listen.

And no, you didn't sound like a whiny little bitch...YOU ARE ONE!! (snicker). I'm kidding, seriously, you put your point very well, and I'll certainly keep your words in mind in my future posts.

Jason

D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Wed Aug 4, 04   12:25 PM     

He asked for ideas/advise, i delivered. I'm giving him options and ideas on what he can do on a minimum budget. $800 and he has access to junk yards, the possibilites are endless. Giving these people knowledge on hondas/acuras is never useless brain rattle. Look at my posts, pretty much all of them are technical and i offer links to the information i'm talking about. I don't just make shit up, i do the research for each question and offer the best advise i can for what they want to do. If they don't want me to answer the question....don't ask it then.

Master Shake: "I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them."

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Wed Aug 4, 04   2:27 PM     

Its true that ive only got aorund $850 to spend, but i can spend taht $850 on I/H/E, or even less if i use a resale number, and then get a head for free from my pops, or fairly cheap from someone we know, and possibly a whole H22 setup if i wanted. Its fairly simple, i take the motor and the trans mounts and so on, and my pops sells the front end for 1500 plus, and hes already made what he paid for the car, but im straying. Just because im young doesnt mean i cant do anything, i just dont have the money to do high tech stuff like taking stuff to raceprep. The Rx7 scandal is probably never going to leae me alone so ill just tell you now that I never had one, but a relative of mine did and i was wondering what could be done to it for the sake of knowing, and I apologize, and if Ben ever gets back on I apologize to him too.

Samir "Office Space"
uglystick
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Thu Aug 5, 04   12:19 AM     

damn son, you're redeemed now. that's all it took in my mind. and seriously d15, i'll be a nice guy and either help out or keep my mouth shut from now on, i'm sorry for bein a dick.

jason

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Thu Aug 5, 04   4:33 AM     

I just got an idea. How much would it cost me to do a B20 changeover, and thats including everything. I can swap my motor for a B20 straight off, but hwo much would it cost for the rest of the parts, and what would I need?

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Thu Aug 5, 04   1:03 PM     

B20's are harder to work on because they have a 84mm bore. All the B18 and B16 engines have a 81mm bore, so you can't fit any OEM pistons in it. They have good torque stock but low hp numbers. Turning the B20 into an LS/VTEC is more expensive than converting a B18. More custom parts are needed= more $$$.
The cheapest build you can go with right now would probably be the LS/Vtec. You already have the bottom end, you can sell the old LS head, (sounds like you can get a B16 head for free, nice!), and then for now you can just run the LS tranny until you can afford a B16 one. So if you can get the B16 head for free, you could sell your old one and actually gain cash.
Next i would pick up some used OEM B16 pistons off eBay or at a yard and get new rings. They should make a really good high compression setup for cheap, and they fit on the LS rods. Take the bottom end to someone who can rebuild engines, have the block honed and cleaned up and reassembled with the new B16 pistons in it. Now you're bottom end is done. Then have the dowel pins opened up on the head.
Either way though, this is still an engine build and it's going to cost alot more than $800, more like $1700.
-B16 pistons w/rings: $150
-ECU: $150
-GSR Oil pump: $130 new
-GSR Water pump: $100
-GSR timing belt: $70
-Machine work/asseble: $700+

Master Shake: "I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them."

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Wanna do an LS-Vtec   Posted Thu Aug 5, 04   4:15 PM     

I was thinking of just leaving the B20 as it is, and bulding that. I can get everything for the LS-Vtec conversion absolutely free except the machining, but i still may be able to get a discount. Know any places in the Alhambra area that can do the whole setup?

Samir "Office Space"
Pages in this thread: 1 (2)