This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 11276

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
4g63bfan
anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   1:03 AM     

i've seen a CRX with a mitsu 4g63 in it and was wondering if anyone here had firsthand knowledge of what is needed for the swap, planning to swap it into a 93 honda civic hatch. appreciate any help anyone can give. . .

talljosh85
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   5:22 PM     

No, but, why? You can make tons of hp with a lowered compression B series running 20lbs of boost, and the swap will be a lot easier. But hey, if you just have money to blow, why not do something really cool and make it rwd with the S2000 drivetrain or the NSX's, its been done before and would be really bitching. Good luck with it, I've never seen one swapped but it would be very creative and a good sleeper. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!
4g63bfan
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   5:33 PM     

because i'm just kinda tired of seeing the same old engine swaps. no offense to anyone with the b-series engine, or even the h22, i just wanted to do something different, you know?

there are 2 things that will always stop your fun. the first is the police, the second is a tree.
uglystick
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   6:00 PM     

go rwd, i agree with josh. put a dohc 8 valve fiat motor in it and go to town. would be easy to kludge the fiat drivetrain under a civic or crx.

what about a 455 olds motor? or an audi 5 valve per cylinder turbo 4 cylinder?

if you're tired of the same old shit you need to jump the fence to the domestic side for a little while, then maybe you will have a better perspective once you come back to imports.

jason

4g63bfan
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   6:11 PM     

i went to the domestic side for a coupla years, had a '99 cougar, i was gonna do a v-6 swap out on it, but i got wrecked a coupla months ago, now i'm back in an import. a friend of mine used to build his own race cars and said he could probably build some of the suspension pieces for me if i wanted to go to a rear drive, but i don't have THAT much extra money

there are 2 things that will always stop your fun. the first is the police, the second is a tree.
D15powerd
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   10:40 PM     

I would forget the 4G63 idea, it's way too costly and the results aren't that great either. Unless you built up the engine, the most you could get that thing pumping is about 350hp. There are way easier ways to get 350hp out of your civic. As mentioned earlier, a boosted b-series or H22 would do the same amount of damage and still end up saving you cash and headaches.
You would need pretty much everything custom for it to work. Custom mounts, wiring, axles, etc. It's just not worth the trouble.
If you're looking for something new and original that can be done, look into dropping a K-series engine in your '93. They pump out 200hp from the factory and when you boost them you should be able to get at least 300hp. If you're interested in this swap, HASport just put out a mount kit for it and i believe it was featured in HondaTuning mag or SCC mag when they did a swap into a DC integra.

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....
4g63bfan
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Wed Jul 28, 04   11:47 PM     

how much does the k engine usually go for? will it accept the original axles? i know that i can get the h22 engine with axles, linkages and everything needed just drop in, but i heard you can't keep the power steering or a/c and this is going to be a daily driver. i've been looking into all the swaps that can and have been done, and that's why i was wondering if anyone had ever done a 4g63 swap. the k engine is a good option though, thanks.

D15powerd
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Thu Jul 29, 04   1:08 PM     

Expect to pay $6500+ for this swap. OsakaJDMmotors.com has a complete swap (JDM Integra/RSX type -R) for $6500. But look to pay more if you're having it installed by someone else and certain other parts are needed as well. You won't be able to keep your power steering but you will still be able to have A/C. How to swap a K-series into your Honda:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0407scc_hybrid/

Just copy and paste the WHOLE link and it will work. This is how to swap it into a 96-00 (EK) civic but it should be the same for the DC2 integras and EG civics. It's costly, but this will definately make you stand out in the crowd!

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....
4g63bfan
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Thu Jul 29, 04   3:05 PM     

cool, that's a pretty good option, and it seems like it will be cheaper than the mitsu-motor swap. after talking to you guys about it i am more and more considering the h22 or k series swaps, just on the cost option alone, at first i was just wondering if any company offered a swap kit, but believe me, i've looked, and there aint one.

D15powerd
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   10:50 AM     

the H22 would be cheaper to do, but you lose A/C. I took off the A/C for my civic and it sucks driving around during the day. From 11-4 it's complete hell during the summer, but at night it's perfect. Driving your civic without powersteering is not that bad, it's a civic...not a yukon or something like that. You can barely tell the difference. Making the K-series work would be sick, but there's ALOT of wiring involved, you need to change out the keys cuz the newer hondas have encoded keys that are needed to make the ecu work. It gets kinda complicated, the fuel lines are different, etc.

4g63bfan
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   5:34 PM     

yeah, my first car was a '78 pontiac and it had no power steering, so i know i could handle it. now i'm thinkin i am gonna go with the h22 series, i know it's been done a lot, but hell i can get all the stuff i need for less than $5 grand and that's at least $1500 less than the k-series, and that's some good performance money right there, you know? and a/c steals your horses anyway, it sure does feel good though.

D15powerd
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   11:08 PM     

now your thinking, H22 power for sure....

4g63bfan
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   11:33 PM     

yeah, i'm thinking that i can get the h22 with the 400 hp axles, just in case i get a little crazy on it for like 5 grand, that's the whole swap man. but alas, i lose the beloved A/C

D15powerd
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   11:55 PM     

it's not THAT bad without A/C....just more hp for you! lol! you'll be happy with the swap, if you look around i'm pretty sure some company (maybe progress?) sells aftermarket springs especially for civic with the H22 dropped in to counter the extra weight on the front end. Something to think about if you still want to take it autocrossing?

4g63bfan
Re: anyone done a 4g63 swap to a honda?   Posted Fri Jul 30, 04   11:59 PM     

that's another thing i was wondering about, how much heavier is the h22, because i am setting the civic up specifically for autocross, roadcourse racing

Pages in this thread: (1) 2