This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 39942

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4 5  
bignick3303

Motor Swaps   Posted Sat Jul 17, 04   7:43 PM     

just wondering in general..how hard is it to do a motor swap. ive never done one before and was just wondering. besides unbolting alot of things and some wire removal..is there much more to it?

bignick3303

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Tue Jul 20, 04   1:29 PM     

nvm that post....i got some friends helpin me with my swap ...

D15powerd
Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Tue Jul 20, 04   1:43 PM     

It's not that hard, just time consuming and very frustrating. Expect problems though. I've done 4 swaps now and something always goes wrong or needs to be replaced or a new part is needed. It's usually minor though, like a different radiator hose or the engine needs a new axle. It's never been like the tranny is shot or something like that. You can rent an engine hoist for $30 a day at most places, which is alot cheaper than the $300+ i paid to have mine snap on me (piece of shit, long story). You'll have to invest in some new tools if you dont have any yourself.
Everything is metric on the car. Tools needed to do a swap on a honda:

Wrenches and sockets from 10mm to 19mm
Special socket for the axle-hub nut
Breaker bar
Torque wrench
12 point sockets from 10mm to 19mm
Pry bar
Screw drivers
Two jacks and a pair of jack stands
18 gauge wire with connectors and t-splices
and the rented hoist is only needed for one day

And always ALWAYS tape and label the connections of wires you disconnect! Like you unplug something and label both ends of the connection so when you go to plug everything back up there's no confusion of what goes where. This happened on a Mitsubishi swap and it took a solid week to figure everything back out, total hell.

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....
bignick3303

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Wed Jul 21, 04   1:14 PM     

ahh...my motor is now out..and all done by myself thanks to my noshow friends. it wasn't at all hard but the only time consuming part was just labeling where every wire went...other than that it only took me 2 in a half days...good start for my first time!

D15powerd
Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Thu Jul 22, 04   12:26 PM     

Sounds like your off to a good start. You'll be happy later that you took the extra time to label those when the new engine is in. Remember to take the time to do things right the first time and never cut corners. I helped my friend with a B16 swap this month and he didn't want to wait until the morning to test drive it, while it was missing some suspension nuts. The wheel fell off and i had to fix his car in the middle of the street high noon in 100+ degree heat. Keep me posted on how the swap is going....

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....
bignick3303

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   11:01 AM     

dang...the wheel fell of...intense. yeah ill probably be the same too...but ill atleast make sure by double checking all is connected and bolted. ahh...i get my motor tomorrow...i cant wait....!!!!

uglystick
Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   5:47 PM     

good luck with your the work ahead of you. be patient.

i'm pretty impressed you did the removal process in two days for your first time. it's so easy to get hung up on something that takes forever to get your mind around when you haven't done it before or don't have someone experienced on hand.

keep your nose to the grindstone and keep up the good attention to detail.

jason

SweetNeon

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   6:51 PM     

2 days to do a 2 hour job?

bignick3303

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   7:04 PM     

yo sweetneon...give me some respect here man....im doing my best....no disrespect to ya either....

SweetNeon

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   7:56 PM     

non taken

SweetNeon

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   7:57 PM     

just dont plan on working on cars for a career

bignick3303

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   8:24 PM     

hey i gotta start somewhere...and this is my dream....to work on cars...man if i put my mind to it and just try my best im sure ill do good..thx for advice though....lol

SweetNeon

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   8:58 PM     

your in for a rude awakening if you think you will be happy working on cars for the rest of your life, by age 40 you will have gone 50% insane. did you know 70% of mechanic's tend to talk to them selfs more then normal after working on cars for 5+ years

D15powerd
Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   10:50 PM     

Pulling an engine in two hours is do-able,but give the guy a break. It's his first swap, he's labeling all connections and he's doing it ALONE! And probably with the bare minimum of tools too. Good work man, it usually takes me the better part of the morning to pull an engine by myself. Just take your time. What engine are you dropping in right now again? The B20?

bignick3303

Re: Motor Swaps   Posted Sat Jul 24, 04   11:31 AM     

naw a b16a1, im gonna go find one today..hopefully..i found one good deal thats just the motor itself with ecu and harness for 900 with only 40k on it. lol sweetneon, never knew that...but rest assure if i do go insane ill atleast say to myself that i was warned. thx for advice though..always open for some.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4 5