This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 1771

cargusto
96 CIVIC EX - SWAP OR UPGRADE?   Posted Thu Jul 15, 04   11:56 AM     

Al right guys, got questions,,
Frist one
Should i keep me actual engine and upgrade it, i still have my stock engine, d16Y8 (VTEC), a good 127 plus headers, muffler, cold air intake, spark plug wires.
My plans are like any body else maek it faster, so if you guys could give me ideas of whats the best bet between budget and good performance, so im opened to sugestions.
And this is what so far ive been thinking either a gsr b18c1 or the type r B18C5, well people pls give me answers, any point of view from my stock d16 to any prices or best shots with his engines.
THANKS

TopSecret
Re: 96 CIVIC EX - SWAP OR UPGRADE?   Posted Thu Jul 15, 04   10:00 PM     

Personally I think that you should stick with the SOHC, people always underestimate the power they can make. If you are trying for a budget then you bought the wrong car, I’m in deep and my friend is running 10’s with just a little more invested then my paint and body costs. There is the theory that you can push 20 lb of boost and be fast all the time, but ever notice how many turbo cars have weekend garage sessions and the “my XXXXX isn’t right that’s why is slow today” more stuff to go wrong. I think if I were trying to make your car fast and keep costs down … Nitrous, you don’t loose daily drivability and it’s the cheapest $=HP you can buy. Make sure you install it properly and retard the timing and your D16 should outlast most turbo motors. Then I would add a cam and an exhaust cut out… JC Whitney has ones that can be operated from inside the car for like???$50??? It’s an old hot rod trick but $=HP it’s a good thing… then you can run stock exhaust, nothing is cooler then having someone pull up seeing a stock exhaust, revving up there motor, then pulling the cork and making them sound like a sick puppy. Any way that’s my two cents.

Check out my “toy car” I think it’s listed as my home page.

The car is still a work in progress. The extensive modifications of my car have gone beyond what I had originally envisioned. I am really pleased with the way it is turning out.
cargusto
Re: 96 CIVIC EX - SWAP OR UPGRADE?   Posted Thu Jul 15, 04   10:20 PM     

Well i get that point and its a way of working on budget, but like i said im open to any idea, even if a have to spend more, i just want to see the options and see what its better for me.
by the way your car looks great, how many hp are you looking at with that engine...

talljosh85
Re: 96 CIVIC EX - SWAP OR UPGRADE?   Posted Thu Jul 15, 04   11:11 PM     

I'm not a Honda expert, but I am a fan of starting with something good, and a DOHC motor will generally flow better and can be tuned more then a SOHC motor. Its not that power can't be made with the ZC, but, the B series block is really strong, and, in the end, turbo cars are faster. Nitrous is all well and good (though not on a rotary), but you still have to fill up that tank and push a button, the turbo is there whenever you want it, well, as long as you don't destroy the motor. So, if it were me, I'd do a B16 or B18 with lowered compression, stand alone engine management, and a healthy dose of boost. Just my 2 cents. Josh

the doctors say I have ADD, but the just don't understand, hey look! a chicken!

Edited by talljosh85 (Thu Jul 15, 04   11:12 PM)

D15powerd
Re: 96 CIVIC EX - SWAP OR UPGRADE?   Posted Sat Jul 17, 04   12:03 AM     

Keep the SOHC, look at Bisi. Run's 10's on an all motor 1.5L, NO VTEC. You can make these engines fast, it just takes more effort. I'm sticking with the sohc base cuz it's a hell of alot cheaper (almost everything is half the cost cuz you only have one cam) and parts are just as easy to find. For those concerned with weight like i am, the D-series is way lighter than any B as well. If you have an EK Civic, i think your best bet is either boost or spray, either way forced induction.
As stated earlier, the bottle is cheaper; but you need to keep refilling it. You would still be able to keep all your old parts as well though. But turbo is there when you need it, you don't have to worry about bottle pressure and turning it on and arming it. Cuz in most stoplight race situations, you don't have time to fiddle around with the bottle (unless you're rolling around with your finger on the trigger), you have about a good 30 seconds give or take for the opposing lights to turn yellow before you can smoke that 5.0 next to you.
So basically:
Turbo; on demand, eats gas, only GReddy is smog exempt, you ditch the intake and header.
Nitrous: not so on demand, you eat as much gas as you do now, you get to keep your intake and header, the bottle needs to be refilled alot, after so many refills its cheaper to have just gone turbo.
My .02.....

"11-second honda fanboy" and damn proud of it, cuz somethings are just better when ran inline and faster than 13.09.....