This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 9190

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
90civicSi
Honda engine swap   Posted Wed Jun 30, 04   9:21 AM     

I am wanting to swap motors in a 1990 honda civic H/b Si. I am looking for a b18a type-r out of a integra gsr. Where is the cheapest place to get it swapped and built??

D15powerd
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Thu Jul 1, 04   12:05 AM     

Not to rip on you, but you just combined 3 different trim levels there. The Integra GSR came with a B18C1 engine. The Integra LS/RS/GS came with the B18A you described, and the engine code for the Integra Type-R is B18C5. I'm not making fun of you; just some codes you need to know when ordering a swap. Putting a B16 in your car will run you around $1500 for the engine and about another $1000-1750 in labor, so you're looking at spending about $3000+ if you don't know how to do it yourself or have a hookup. The B16A1 i swapped in my friend's DA integra this week cost us $1500 with shipping from Osakajdmmotors.com. Shipping took 3 weeks cuz it's a Canada based company.
B16A1 swap: $1100
B18C1 swap: $2700
B18C5 swap: $3950
I have nothing to back up my claim with, but i've already done 4 swaps (2 mitsubishi's, a JDM d15b, and now a B16), i could swap this engine for you for alot cheaper than a shop if you're interested. Both my engine and my friends' engine run perfectly fine and throw NO ECU CODES. If you're interested and live in the valley, let me know...
But look around man and do some research about what you can do to your ride. That hatchback has TONS of potential. If the engine is in good condition still, you could just slap a VTEC head on there (refered to as a mini-me swap) and turbo it for minimal cash....and you'd be a hell of a lot faster than most b-series powered rides out here. If you have any other swap related questions, ask, it's the only way to learn.

1990civicSi
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Thu Jul 1, 04   9:24 AM     

How much would a V-tec head for my Si cost? Do they even have v-tec heads for a single orverhead cam?

D15powerd
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Fri Jul 2, 04   8:40 PM     

Yes, they do have sohc VTEC engines (Single Over Head Cam). They come in the 92-95 honda civic Si/EX and the 96-00 Civic EX. They also have VTEC-E models, the E is for economy. These economy vtec engines suck for performance. The engine code for the 92-95 honda civic engine is D16Z6 and for the 96-00 civic it is the D16Y8. Both of these engines put out around 127hp (about 30hp short of a B16 for a good $1750 less). You can put one of these VTEC heads on your Si for around $500, $700 and you could get a nice Apexi Vafc to trigger VTEC too. These heads usually go on EBay for around $250.
Doing this Mini-me conversion makes for a nice gain in hp, you end up with a little more than 130hp at the flywheel. The B-series engines, while good in their own sense, i feel are HIGHLY overrated.
A stock B16 puts down 135 hp and 102lbs of torque to the wheels. Doing this head swap and adding an intake, header, exhaust, and a nice cam will net you 131 hp and 109lbs torque to the wheels. And you will be saving yourself a good $1500-2000! You will have 4 less hp, but 7 more lb torque. This engine in your EF hatchback will make you happy for sure, and the best part is you wont have to pull your engine to do it!

for more on SOHC VTEC hondas go to:
[url=www.sohchonda.com]www.sohchonda.com[/url]
this forum is ONLY for sohc honda civics (no B16's or gsr's here) and how to make them fast. they offer good advise and can help you with any problems you should run into and what to do to fix them.

more sites to show you what i'm talking about:
[url=crx.honda-perf.org/articles/z6swap/z6swap.html]http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/z6swap/z6swap.html[/url]

this is exactly what needs to be done step-by-step:
[url=www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053]http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053[/url]

if you are considering doing this swap, i'm only here to help. keep me posted. any other questions?

There's nothing better than beating your domestic with less displacement than a coke bottle....so stick that in your pooper.

Edited by D15powerd (Fri Jul 2, 04   8:41 PM)

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Sat Jul 3, 04   3:48 AM     

D15 is absolutely correct, but the SOHC V-tec motors are for lack of a better word - crap, and wont get you VERY far. You would be better off just swapping an LS motor and doing an LS V-tec conversion, or just buying the block and the head seperately. It is sort of a hassle to do that but it pays off. Be sure to look into it in depth before you decide to do an LS vtec as it is rather complicated and requires some machining. There are a couple reliability issues with it as well, but in the end, if done right, it pays off nicely, and if your going to build onto your motor, you always hae the option of buying a bare head which is cheaper, and puttign on performance cams or valve springs or whatever you want before installation. Consider your options and weigh them down. Yes doing his "mini me" swap will put you only 4 less hp, but thats with you building onto it, if you were to do an ls conversion, you would have more hp stock, adn then you could build onto it. The truth is, you get what you pay for.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Sat Jul 3, 04   12:38 PM     

this is all true. But I was going to do a LS/VTEC build up using OEM type-r parts and the grand total just for the parts list came to upwards of $1500 assuming i already had the B18a/b block. But when swapping a b-series in an EF hatch, you still need:
the engine
the tranny
the ecu
a motor mount kit or the b-series ones
usually shift linkage
and new axles
Yes, the mini-me isn't as powerful as a B16 with the same modifications done to it, but it's a good setup for those on a budget who aren't looking to be the fastest in the valley, but who still want to hand civics and integras their ass on a daily basis. It's a cheap setup that puts out good results, but it's never going to be the same has having a B20/VTEC in your EF! But i'm just saying for the price, it's about the same as swaping a B16 and you can retain you old axles, mounts, tranny, and engine block. And you could always turbo it later!

There's nothing better than beating your domestic with less displacement than a coke bottle....so stick that in your pooper.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Sun Jul 4, 04   1:25 AM     

Are you using dealership quotes or dismantler prices?

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Sun Jul 4, 04   12:55 PM     

The parts list for the ls/vtec build up was using qoutes on Ebay and inlinefour.com. Using a B16 head and pretty much every OEM ITR and CTR part you can think of. ITR oil pump, water pump, CTR crank pulley, things that needed to be replaced to compensate for the higher rpms. The build came between $1250 and $1700. But add a tranny, mounts and linkage....it came to around $3500 to get it up and running.
That's $3500 you could have dumped on your d-series to turbo it and even huild it a little. That's why i'm sticking with my tiny D, cuz it's cheaper and if i blow it....it only cost $500 for a new one.

D15powerd
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Sun Jul 4, 04   1:12 PM     

IMO, it's cheaper and easier to build up a d-series. The parts are HALF the cost or more than b-series stuff and you can find engines easy cuz they're usually thrown in the dumpster to swap in a B. But i'm not looking to have the fastest civic....just one that i'm proud of. A d15 pumping out 170hp (GSR numbers) is an accomplishment for me, all motor by the way....

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Mon Jul 5, 04   2:10 AM     

I know the guy who owns inline4, and the only thing ive bought from him is my V2. Hes so backed up with business that it would probably take you 3 months or so to get a head, its a great place though.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Mon Jul 5, 04   12:14 PM     

Yeah, they got hella good parts at decent prices but sometimes it's just alot cheaper to do things the EBay way. Even though some have sworn against them, you find lots of companies trying to get rid of overstocked parts through their site. Saving $50 here and $100 there adds up to more parts for you later on....

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Mon Jul 5, 04   1:39 PM     

I dont trust Ebay when it comes to parts, could be stolen for all I know.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Tue Jul 6, 04   2:14 PM     

Yeah, it's a risk but hey, deperate times call for desperate measures lol. I still may do a B20/VTEC build on the side this fall...still undecided. 250ish hp NA to the wheels is mighty tempting though.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Wed Jul 7, 04   1:10 AM     

My brother did a TSX swap in his Si and then swapped the head from a Type-S along with the trans, and you basically dont need to do anymore mods.

Samir "Office Space"
D15powerd
Re: Honda engine swap   Posted Wed Jul 7, 04   1:17 AM     

Sounds badass. I love the new K-series platforms, there's a pic roaming around somewhere of one in an EG hatch like mine with the TODA Individual Throttle Bodies on it.....made me want to sell a kidney lol.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2