This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 10722

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Rx_otary_Se7en

NickQ, can u help?   Posted Tue Apr 20, 04   2:24 PM     

I have an Integra GSR with a GS motor, with a planned Ls-Vtec conversion, but until i can get the equipment to convert, i need to know what the LS redlines at compared to the GSR, i think the GSR redlines at 8k whiel the LS redlines at 6k, can anyone help me?

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
sileighty

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Thu Apr 22, 04   12:25 PM     

gsr technically redlines at 8,400 depends on weather and ecu response
ls technically is 7,200 but again if the weather is bad ur ecu will change if its oem ecu.... upgraded redline were there set regardless....

when in doubt! use the E-brake
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Fri Apr 23, 04   12:41 AM     

Thanks, as I said, i have a GSR with an LS motor, so for me to daily drive it with the GSR gauge cluster would have been quite interesting. Im dropping any plans to Ls-Vtec it for the reasons of price, and overall questioning of the reliability of the machining that would have to be done, and the reliability of the motor afterwards. Im just gonna do a basic I/H/E and get some Crower cams if i have any extra money. Im hoping to get the head ported and polish, and maybe if needed, resurfaced, but that all depends on funds. As of no wi have 480 dollars, so im pushin geven the I/H/E unless someone can help me out with parts. Thanks again.

Samir "Office Space"
NickQ
Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Mon May 3, 04   10:59 PM     

In reply to:

I have an Integra GSR with a GS motor, with a planned Ls-Vtec conversion, but until i can get the equipment to convert, i need to know what the LS redlines at compared to the GSR, i think the GSR redlines at 8k whiel the LS redlines at 6k, can anyone help me?

Sorry, I haven't been on in a while. I started my own board, and have been busy, lol.

ok..

Because of its R/S ratio, it is not recommended that you rev an LS/VTEC past 6750 RPM on stock internals- the redline of a stock B18A-B. With a fairly built bottom end, it is still not recommended that you rev an LS/VTEC past 7800 RPM.

In reply to:

Thanks, as I said, i have a GSR with an LS motor, so for me to daily drive it with the GSR gauge cluster would have been quite interesting. Im dropping any plans to Ls-Vtec it for the reasons of price, and overall questioning of the reliability of the machining that would have to be done, and the reliability of the motor afterwards. Im just gonna do a basic I/H/E and get some Crower cams if i have any extra money. Im hoping to get the head ported and polish, and maybe if needed, resurfaced, but that all depends on funds. As of no wi have 480 dollars, so im pushin geven the I/H/E unless someone can help me out with parts. Thanks again.

Well, LS-Vtec is never really a great idea in the first place. Read my threads with Daluth for more info on LS Vtec.

I have gotta go for now, but I'll be back tommorow w/ some info for you

=)

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 100 2.1 - 60'
NickQ
Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Tue May 4, 04   10:43 AM     

Ok..

So, you are not going LS/Vtec. Good in my opinion. As far as what to get now, you have to remember, simple bolt-ons are not going to do much for these little Honda motors.

This may get complicated, so if you get lost, just let me know and I'll try to explain it more:

What is horsepower? Horsepower = (torque x RPM) / 5250. For example:

USDM GSR motor = 170hp / 121tq

120tq x 7800rpm = 936000

93600 / 5250 = 178hp (Honda tends to underrate)

Now how do our Hondas make power? Our little 1.6-1.8L engines aren't exactly oozing displacement and creating lots of torque. Hondas make power through revving, and revving high. So why does everyone place so much emphasis on creating torque? It's because all these bolt-ons you see will not raise your redline, but they do increase torque. There's nothing wrong with trying to get every last ounce of torque out of your engine, you should.. But you'll never get enough for it to be useful. For our little motors to make any decent power, you need to either add a power adder, increase revvs, or completley build an all-motor-monster. Just putting on i/h/e will not give you the affects you are looking for. Sure, they will give you a few extra HP, but that's it.
So, you question was what you should get w/ the money. Well, it is all up to you. If it were me, I would save until I could go w/ a power adder. You can pick up Jackson superchargers for pretty cheap nowadays. And with a JRSC you will see signifigant results. Not like what you will see ona turbo car, but that is more expensive. I would imagine you can get a JRSC, injectors, and tuning for around 1200 for everything. Increasing your HP by 50-60 hp. Not bad. A lot better than the 5 you will get from i/h/e.

Lemme knowif you need any other help =)

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 100 2.1 - 60'
SweetNeon

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Wed May 5, 04   8:36 PM     

your opinion isn't worth much, you need more years tuning Honda motors it sounds like, A GOOD RUNNING LOW MILEAGE STOCK LS/VTEC IS CAPABLE OF MAKING GOOD POWER CLOSE TO 9K RPM

SweetNeon

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Wed May 5, 04   8:36 PM     

whats the web address for your board?

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Wed May 5, 04   9:58 PM     

The only reason i decided to no tdo the vtec conversion is beause of how much ti would cost me and hwo complicated and unreliable the whole setup is. The JRSC's ive seen are super expensive, but maybe im looking in the wrong places? if i could get that junk for around 1200 bucks that would put me right where i want to be at. Reguardless, im still getting i/h/e and cams with adjustable cam sprockets. Whether or not i want to get headers, intake/exhaust manifolds, and transmission stuff (clutch, flywheel etc..) depends on me getting a job. The only reason im getting this stuff without a job is the fact taht ive got 300 something bucks, and my birthdays comin, and hopefully, i cna get the supercharger within grasp. I would need someone to install the damn thing though, bcuz ive never really worked with supercharging/turbocharging.

Samir "Office Space"
NickQ
Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Thu May 6, 04   11:15 AM     

In reply to:

Poster: SweetNeon
Subject: Re: NickQ, can u help?
your opinion isn't worth much, you need more years tuning Honda motors it sounds like, A GOOD RUNNING LOW MILEAGE STOCK LS/VTEC IS CAPABLE OF MAKING GOOD POWER CLOSE TO 9K RPM

This from a neon guy, ha...

Look, this debate will go on forever....

Pro ls/vtec
Against ls/vtec

The fact is, LS/Vtec is not the best awnser to getting power reliably from a honda.

Why in the world would Honda put people in such a situation? Having to build these incredible, wonderful motors all by themselves? Why would they knowingly decrease the displacement and torque in a car being manufactured to be faster than its lower trim brothers?

You are not going to make an LS/Vtec that is as reliable as a comperable gsr, or b16. It all comes down to R/S ratio. In the B18 blocks, Honda increased displacement by using larger cranks and increasing stroke. This, lowers the R/S, since the rod length remains the same. Honda decreased the displacement from the B18A and B to the B18C. Honda decreased the displacement in the B18C by decreasing stroke, improving R/S. This allows the B18C to rev higher, increasing output. The LS/VTEC = bad R/S, cause it uses the LS block with a R/S of 1.54:1. A bad R/S is bad for the engine, especially at high RPMs. Hondas make power through revs, and high power through high revving.

To get any real power out of an engine w/o a power adder, aggressive camshafts are a must. To get any benefit from aggressive camshafts, You need all the revs you can get. I mean, how valuable is VTEC if you can only utilize it for the top 1000 RPMs of your powerband? lol.

Never will I saw LS/vtec is an awful motor. LS/VTEC has been called the biggest thing to hit Honda tuning in years. All the tuning magazines have praised the ingenious design, its torque, and showed you how to constructit in own garage. They never mention its drawbacks or its limitations. Like I said in the last post, if it was all that wonderful, Honda would have done themselves.
Unless you have some useful information, please refrain from the negative comments. =)

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 100 2.1 - 60'
NickQ
Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Thu May 6, 04   11:17 AM     

In reply to:

Poster: SweetNeon
Subject: Re: NickQ, can u help?

whats the web address for your board?

www.FresnoRacing.com

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 100 2.1 - 60'
SweetNeon

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Thu May 6, 04   2:47 PM     

i don't under stand what you are contesting to in regards to my statement? you seem to be going on and on with a bunch of bull shit and your steering clear of the point of my post? are you trying to say a ls/vtec cant reliably sustain 9000k rpm revs on a daily basis? im confused to know what your trying to argue with me about when i just said a good running low milage stock ls/vtec is capable of making good power close to 9k rpm

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Thu May 6, 04   10:16 PM     

How, you cant get the goddamn LS motor to 9k rpms. How are you going to get ti there when it redlines at like 7k?

Samir "Office Space"
NickQ
Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Fri May 7, 04   8:45 AM     

If you are asking if a stock ls/vtec (stock ls bottom, stock vtec head) can be revved to 9 reliably on a daily basis, my awnser is no.

Is that what you are asking? "good running low milage stock ls/vtec is capable of making good power close to 9k rpm "

Good power? Yes. Reliably, compared to a b18c or b16? No

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 100 2.1 - 60'
SweetNeon

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Fri May 7, 04   6:31 PM     

"you cant get the goddamn LS motor to 9k rpms" lol get the fuck out of here your a joke

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: NickQ, can u help?   Posted Fri May 7, 04   6:52 PM     

Your the one whos the fucking joke. You cant get the LS motor to 9k rpms without severely dangering your motor, thats why it REDLINES AT 7K RPMS STUPID ASS. Even redlining 9k rpms with a gsr motor is still pushing it. STick to towing your trailer with your neon bitch.

Samir "Office Space"
Pages in this thread: (1) 2