This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 10817

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Dlauth
Exhaust   Posted Mon Mar 29, 04   11:52 AM     

I finaly got my engine. I got a B18C (GSR). I love it so much faster. Now im looking for an exhaust. I want an exhaust that could be used for turbo in future(2.5in pipe and up) Looks nice, but sounds even better . Not way loud but lound enough to turn heads ( I have been looking at the Greddy Evo2) Sound clips are appreaciated thanks

Edited by Dlauth (Mon Mar 29, 04   11:54 AM)

NickQ
Re: Exhaust   Posted Wed Mar 31, 04   5:15 PM     

Well, if you plan to turbo, the less restrictive the better. In other words the bigger the better. But, the bigger you go n/a, the more annoying it is going to be.

If you plan on staying all motor for a while, stock exaust with an aftermarket muffler will be fine. Then when you go turbo, upgrade to 3" w/ a straight-through muffler. Like a Magnaflow, or Greddy PE. You can always sell your old exaust when you upgrade.

It also depends on what size turbo you plan to get. The smaller the turbo, the smaller exaust needed. If you only plan to do a smaller kit, like a Drag kit or Greddy kit, 2.5" exaust w/ the Greddy muffler will be suffecient.

But remember, like I said earlier. If you go w/ big exaust while n/a, you will probably get a sound you were not looking for.

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
Dlauth
Re: Exhaust   Posted Wed Mar 31, 04   6:53 PM     

Im planning to go with a exhaust I will use now and with the turbo. Which exhaust and turbo would you recommend. I want a exhaust and turbo that gives low to mid range torque. One for low quarter mile time.

NickQ
Re: Exhaust   Posted Thu Apr 1, 04   10:16 AM     

Well, it all depends on what you plan to do, and what you plan to spend.

That motor can only handle a little over 300whp stock. Anything over that, you will need to build it. And thats where it gets really expensive. I am going to assume you do not plan on building the motor.

The process of buying a turbo kit can be very complicated because of a few reasons:

One, the obvious is price vs. performance. How much do you want to spend, for how much power. For example, two very good friends of mine have turboed civics. One has a $5500 full-race kit, that is good for around 700whp. The other a $3000 rev-hard kit good for around 500whp. But remember what I said, the stock motor is only good for 300whp, so you are maxing out your stock motor w/ both. So if you never plan on buliding, what is the point of a huge turbo kit.

Two, the bigger the turbo, the more flow it needs to spool, thus the higher rpm's it takes to get into boost. And with these small Honda engines, it takes a lot of RPM's to get a big turbo to spool. So in a race between the two, the smaller turbo civic is going to pull the other out of the hole, but once the bigger turbo car spools, it will catch up and pass the other car very fast. That is a reason why Supras are such highway monsters; huge turbos that work best at high rpm's, like on the highway.

Third, most turbo kits (like the Revhard kit) come w/ an FMU. The FMU increases the fuel pressure to feed the turbo. Without it you wont have enough gas to power the motor at high RPM while the turbo is in boost. The problem with FMU, is it is mechanical, and runs on vacume. So there is a greater margin of error. In a turbo car, running lean = death. Running lean causes detonation, whick caused blown motors. Running lean is caused by too much air, and not enough fuel. With the FMU being run off of vacume, any variance in vacume can cause less fuel to be delivered to the motor, causing detonation, causing a blown motor. So what have we learned from that? FMU = death. So, to get back to my whole point, whit every kit, you get an FMU, but if you run Hondata you dont need to use the FMU.

(Hondata: Hondata is a chip that is installed into your ecu. It basically lets you tell every compenent of your engine what to do. So, with hondata, you don't need to run FMU, because you can just tell the computer to push more fuel into the engine. Get it?)

Hondata is going to run you about $500 plus tuning. But once you have Hondata and are tuned, you are virtually safe. Hondata is the safest way to run a turbo car. Believe me, I know. I have a good friend that has blown 2 motors running FMU.

So, as far as a turbo kit, here is my reccomendations:

Revhard sc34 t3/t04e kit - $approx 3000
Hondata S100 w/ boost option - $800 (chip/tune)
Add a little extra incase you need anything else, just to be safe.

-----------------------------------

Exaust.

You will not want to go ANY smaller than 2.5". With 3" being optimal. But remember, the bigger the exaust, the nastier it will sound all motor. Imagine a stock motor Honda, running around w/ 3" exaust (BVWAAAAAAAGGGGG....BVWWWAAAAGGGGGGGG)

lol

Her id what I would suggest to you, since you only want to buy one exaust:

3" exaust, with a baffeled muffler while stock. When you go turbo get a Magnaflow straight thru muffler, and sell whatever muffler you had on ebay.

Ad regarding a catilytic converter, like with any other turbo exaust system, the less restrictive, the better. Which means, no cat = better. You can always have a test pipe bolted in where a cat goes, so you can put the cat back in if needed.

Well, hope all of that helps. Hope I didnt lose you. Let me know if you have any other questions. =)

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
Dlauth
Re: Exhaust   Posted Thu Apr 1, 04   7:27 PM     

I will build it before i get a turbo anyway. Are Greddy Evo2 exhaust any good? Also I want a turbo big enough to go fast on a highway but still get pretty low 1/4 mile time

NickQ
Re: Exhaust   Posted Thu Apr 1, 04   10:45 PM     

Turbo kit:

(http://revhard.com/turbo_kits.html)
NEW! Stage: 2
Use: Street/Track
Part #: RHSTGII
MSRP: $3,599.00 (New Pricing)
Boost Level: 7psi
Injector Size: Stock
Horsepower/Torque: +120 / 285 ft/lbs

Rev Hard Cast Iron Manifold
High Volume Fuel Pump

Rev Hard T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo(eff. to 450hp)
Silicone Hoses & Clamps

Rev Hard Intercooler 28x6.5x3
Steel Braided -3 Oil Line

NEW Turbo Smart 7psi. (TS-SEMA's Best Product for 2002)
Oil Return Line

Vortech Blow Off Valve
High Pressure Fuel Line

2.25" Aluminized Mandrel Bent Piping
High Pressure Silicon Hose

2.5" Downpipe
Necessary Vacuum Tee's

Check Valves
Necessary Vacuum Lines

Optional Upgrades:
2.5" Aluminum Upper Charge Pipe for 94-01 Integras / 92-00 Civics +$150
Air Filter Adapter for 92-00 Civics

Applications:

92-00 Civic (D Series Motors)

92-00 Civic Hybrid (B-Series H22 VTEC)

94-01 Integra (All)
97-01 Honda Prelude

88-91 Civic/CRX (D16/ZC)
88-91 Civic/CRX (B Series Motors)
For all 88-91 Civic / CRX only
Requires:

Removal of air conditioning
Smaller Radiator
Cutting the subframe
Relocating or use of a smaller battery

90-93 Integra (ALL) -Requires removal of air conditioning
------------------------------------------

That muffler will do fine.

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
Dlauth
Re: Exhaust   Posted Fri Apr 2, 04   5:35 AM     

Applications:

92-00 Civic (D Series Motors)

92-00 Civic Hybrid (B-Series H22 VTEC)

94-01 Integra (All)
97-01 Honda Prelude

88-91 Civic/CRX (D16/ZC)
88-91 Civic/CRX (B Series Motors)
For all 88-91 Civic / CRX only
Requires:

Removal of air conditioning
Smaller Radiator
Cutting the subframe
Relocating or use of a smaller battery

90-93 Integra (ALL) -Requires removal of air conditioning

So i would have to remove my ac, smaller rediator, cutting the subframe, and relocation the battery? Or is it just for the For all 88-91 Civic / CRX only because thats they way it looks. I know i will probably have to but just to make sure. Also that rev-hard kit is cheap for the price. Also whats that optional aluminum charge pipe? And why is it optional? Also it has a downpipe which means no cat. That isnt street legal so once i needed to i could just switch right. Sorry about all the questions but all you have said helped. Is it possible to reach 400hp+ with this turbo? I found out the turbo is NOT CARB legal. Why? and how could i fix this?

Dlauth
Re: Exhaust   Posted Fri Apr 2, 04   3:01 PM     

Today my friend said he wanted to trade engines and trannys. He has a B16a G2 for my B18. He also said he would buy me an exhaust system in the trade. This engine was a spare engine in his dads shop. If i trade what part woud i buy for the engine. Like pistons would i buy for a 95 civic (Because the engine is from a 95 Civic SiR2)? If i would get the revhard turbo would it fit the new motor?

Dlauth
Re: Exhaust   Posted Mon Apr 5, 04   10:05 AM     

Never mind about the last two posts i found them out. Ü But i need to know why the rev-hard turbos are NOT CARB LEGAL and how to fix that. I also what to know what exhaust is your friend that has a rev-hard kit running.

NickQ
Re: Exhaust   Posted Mon Apr 5, 04   11:31 AM     

In reply to:

Never mind about the last two posts i found them out. Ü But i need to know why the rev-hard turbos are NOT CARB LEGAL and how to fix that. I also what to know what exhaust is your friend that has a rev-hard kit running.

MOst turbo kits are not CARB legal because when you force more air into the motor, you need more fuel. More fuel results in more pollution.

Greddy makes a CARB legal turbo kit. But the down side is, it sucks ayass.

Most carb legal kits you find (I know of only 2) really suck. Bad.

Don't worry about it too much though. Turbos are fairly easy to take off and put on. When smog time comes around, you take the turbo manifold and turbo off. And put it back to stock. 2-3 hour job maybe. SO it all depends on if you want to do that. But I'll say again, CARB legal turbo kits really do suck. You can expect around 220 whp out of one. Approx a high low 14 to a very high 13 is about the best you will get out of one.

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
Dlauth
Re: Exhaust   Posted Mon Apr 5, 04   12:25 PM     

Ok i will save up for that turbo kit. But in the mean time i am researching exhaust systems. I want a 3in(80mm) exhaust but all the exhausts i see are not big enough or big enough but do not fit. Please help me

NickQ
Re: Exhaust   Posted Mon Apr 5, 04   2:02 PM     

In reply to:

Ok i will save up for that turbo kit. But in the mean time i am researching exhaust systems. I want a 3in(80mm) exhaust but all the exhausts i see are not big enough or big enough but do not fit. Please help me

You are going to have a shop make your exaust for you.

2 of my good friends (1 integra, 1 hatch) had thier turbo-back exaust made for them at a performance muffler shop. They paid about 40 for the muffler, 60 for a few mandrel bent elbows, 50 for the 3" flex pipe, and roughly 350 for the rest of the piping and the labor.

So plan on (if you want good 3") paying around 500 for your entire exaust setup.

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
Dlauth
Re: Exhaust   Posted Mon Apr 5, 04   6:56 PM     

i was looking for a muffler and saw the Magnaflow Race mufflers. I was wondering if you know if they were any good (torque gains, sound, how long they last)

NickQ
Re: Exhaust   Posted Mon Apr 5, 04   8:27 PM     

In reply to:

i was looking for a muffler and saw the Magnaflow Race mufflers. I was wondering if you know if they were any good (torque gains, sound, how long they last)

Magnaflow's are very good. They are very affordable, straight through, and small. All motor, it will sound like ass. Any straight through muffler on an all motor honda is going to sound bad. But on a turbo honda, they sound badass.

And they will last as long as you have your car.

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 100 2.1 - 60'
Dlauth
Re: Exhaust   Posted Tue Apr 6, 04   7:06 AM     

Ok i asked people and they said a cheaper route is getting a thermal Turbo exhaust. Rather than a custom exhaust. Do you know if thermal is any good? Also it says some modification to the high flow cat-converter. What does that mean? "Thermal R&D features a line of exhaust systems designed for the Turbocharged Acura and Honda. These systems are made of 3" mandrel bent stainless steel pipe and require some slight modifications to your high-flow catalytic converter. We include an extra 3" flange for an easy installation of the exhaust system. These systems are a true 3" and will not connect to a stock catalytic converter."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also a question from before on the rev-hard kit what is the optional charge pipe and why is it optional?

Pages in this thread: (1) 2