This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 7510

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Dlauth
Engine Swap   Posted Sat Feb 14, 04   5:04 PM     

Ive sold my civic for $7000 and bought a 95 civic ex for $3000. I have like $4000 left and i was deciding on an engine swap. Wich engine would be better to turbo
B18c (170 Hp)
B18c-R (195 Hp) I heard this engine is not good for turboing

So tell me wich one to choose and why

NickQ
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Tue Feb 17, 04   7:25 PM     

Just get a b16a2 and turbo it. Just my opinion.

I mean, it's l;ike the last thread. It all depends on what you want to spend. And what you plan for it. If you plan to turbo for sure, go B16. Cheap, easy to get, and great potential.

The fact is, if you turbo it, unless you build it first (big bucks), you are going to blow it up, no matter how good a tune you have. It's just a matter of time. If you blow up a GSR motor, you are gonna pay about $1200 for a replacement longblock. Whereas if you blow up the B16, you are out $450-500 for the longblock. And the B16 has great potential.

Two of my best buddies run B16 turbos in thier hatches. One we don't have a time slip for yet, but you can be sure it is at least a 12 sec car. And the other ran a 12.4 @ 116 untuned, missing third gear (take your own guess on what that would have been with a perfect run, with his new tune)

So, To awnser the original question. Between those two motors, I would take the GSR over the ITR for boosting. But keep your options open for a B16. Or at least check into them more. And if you like, i have many videos and pictures of the aformentioned B16 hatches if you would like to see.

Lemme know if you got any other Q's

=)

[External Image Removed]
Phatmatt

Re: Engine Swap   Posted Tue Feb 17, 04   11:28 PM     

word. AND I agree that under some boost that engine will go. BUT you'll haul ass right till the last second... and it'll be cheaper to fix than that integra motor.

Dlauth
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Wed Feb 18, 04   5:58 AM     

This is what im thinking on doing. Keep the stock 125crhp. 1.6 engine. Then add a Short Shift kit. Then get a turbo and intercooler. Upgrade fuel rail. Upgrade spark plugs. Cat-Back Exaust. Wheels and tires (16in becuz stock is 14in). Then some more engine mods. Keep the engine and after a while. Once i get all engine mods done should i get a b18c? Another question NickQ what car do you have i know its a hatchback but what style and year is it? Thanks

NickQ
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Wed Feb 18, 04   8:29 AM     

Alright...

Don't spend a dime on the single cam (d16z6). You will spen all this money to build up the SOHC to run what, 14's. 15's. Some of the fastest Honda SOHC's in the world run 13's. Not very fast if you ask me. [External Image Removed] Just save the money and put it toward your swap.

Short shifters blow in my opinion. You are not actually shortening the gear throw, just the throw of your hand. So it makes shifting more "clanky" and uncomfortable. But that is only my opinion, you might not mind. It's up to interpretation.

Stock B series fuel rails are fine. No real need to upgrade if you plan turbo. I do not know about D series fuel rails.

As far as whees go, that is mostly up to you and what style you like. But I can tell you this. The reason a low HP/TQ Honda can be fast is power to weight ratio, high revs, and gearing. Weight is very important. So you buy a 16" blinging wheel that weighs 18-20 lbs + 15 lbs in tire. What do you think that does to the weight of the car. And wheel weight is a lot different than vechicle weight. Every 1 pound of wheel weight saved is equal to 10 pounds of vechicle weight. For example:

Stock Honda VX Wheels: 9 lb wheel + 12 lb tire = 21-22 lbs

16" Bling wheel (just for example): 20 lb wheel + 15 lb tire = 35 lbs

35 - 22 = 13 lb weight difference per wheel/tire

13 lbs x 4 wheels/tires = 52 total weight difference in wheel/tires total

52 lb x 10 = 520 lbs saved in vechicle weight.

See what I mean. There is a great article on unsprung weight here if you would like to read up on it: http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29754&st=0&#entry273567

As far as the swap, you know what my suggestions on that are.

Boosted = B16

N/A = GSR

Ill just copy/pase my info sheet. Lemme know if you have any other questions. =)

Car:
* 1995 Honda Civic CX (2108 lbs.)

Engine:
* JDM B18C 10.6:1 compression ratio

Block work:
* Stock

Head Work:
* Stock

Fuel System:
* Stock

Exhaust:
* GReddy PE Muffler

Drivetrain:
* Integra Type-R Transmission w/LSD
* ACT Street Disc Clutch w/Xtreme PP

Electronics:
* P72 ECU (usdm)

Cooling System:
* Stock
* Fal slimline fan

Suspension:
* KYB Adjustable Shocks
* Neuspeed 2.25" Lowering Springs
* Ingralls Camber Kit

Brakes:
* Stock

Wheels & Tires:
* 13" Honda Civic VX Wheels (~9lbs)
* 165/70-13 All-Season Radials

Interior:
* Integra GSR Seats, f&r
* Civic EX/Si Guage Clutser
* RAZO shift knob
* Power Door Locks

Exterior:
* Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood

Horsepower:
* 180 HP @ Flywheel

Best 1/4 Mile:
* 14.3 @ 97 w/2.37 60' on 13" wheels & tires & above setup

Misc Modifications:
* Crimestopper Alarm w/Remote Start, Keyless Entry & 2-way LCD FM Pager

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
talljosh85
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   4:04 AM     

I'm with the others, buying the B18 out of integra type r is a waste of cash if your going to turbocharge it. Both the B16 and B18 series motors can make good power if using forced induction. And as said earlier, B16 blocks are much cheaper then B18's. IMHO, the B18c-r is overpriced for a motor, and there are plenty of LS/vtec motors that make good power too. Another note, the B18c-r is higher compression then the regular B18c5(?) (if I recall correctly), which of course is not condusive to turbocharging. But if you want to make real hp with more boost, you will need to drop the compression down anyways, so its kinda in the cards either way. I'm kinda a fan of bigger displacement, so if I had the money, I might do a B20 frankenstein or spend even more $ for an H22a with lower compression. However, I've heard that the B series block is stronger, so its really your call on that one, plus its cheaper to work on the B series and the parts to lower compression on an H22 are expensive. Also, when you do it, make sure you get a good tranny with an LSD, (I think all GSRs had them, and I'm almost sure all the Type-Rs had them). The Honda and Acura guys will know better then me which trannies from which cars had better gears and an LSD. SO, overall, between the two, go with the motor out of the GSR instead of the Type-R, those red valve covers carry a premium. Good luck on the project, sounds like a ton of fun to me. Josh

Dlauth
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   10:38 AM     

I found 2 engines i liked online both from japan.
A)B18C (GSR)
B)B16A g2 (SiRII)
Go to www.japandomesticmotor.com/honda.asp
Click on pic to view specs

NickQ
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   12:44 PM     

In reply to:

Originally posted by talljosh85
there are plenty of LS/vtec motors that make good power too.

True, but, LS Vtec is not a wise idea. There are a few myths about LS Vtec.

In the B18 blocks, Honda increases displacement by using a larger crank and increasing stroke. This, of course, lowers the R/S, since the rod length remains (almost) the same. Honda decreased the displacement from the B18A-B to the B18C. Honda decreased the displacement in the B18C by decreasing the stroke, improving the R/S. This allows the B18C to rev higher, and increase output.

The LS/VTEC suffers from a bad R/S, due to the fact that it utilizes an LS block with a R/S of 1.54:1. A bad R/S is bad for the engine, especially at high RPMs. Hondas make power through revving, and high power through revving higher, high compression, and aggressive camshafts. Because of its R/S ratio, it is not recommended that you rev an LS/VTEC past 6750 RPM on stock internals- the redline of a stock B18A-B. With a fairly built bottom end, it is still not recommended that you rev an LS/VTEC past 7800 RPM.

I am not saying that no one should do the LS Vtec. I am just saying that it is not the wisest idea. I mean, if it was all that great, Honda would have done it in the first place.

In reply to:

which of course is not condusive to turbocharging. But if you want to make real hp with more boost, you will need to drop the compression down anyways, so its kinda in the cards either way.

Not true. Higher compression = less boost.
For example:

USDM B18c1 (us GSR motor)
10.0 : 1 CR @ 12 lbs = 300whp

JDM B18c (japan GSR motor)
10.6 : 1 CR @ 10 lbs = 300whp

All higher compression means when boosting a motor is less boost for same power.

In reply to:

I'm kinda a fan of bigger displacement, so if I had the money, I might do a B20 frankenstein or spend even more $ for an H22a with lower compression.

This is a worse idea because of the same reason stated earlier. The B20 has a far lower r/s ratio. MAking it one of the worst choices for boost. The B20A is widely regarded as a not-so-great engine, and why Honda decreased the displacement from the B18A-B to the B18C.

H22 is a great "All motor" motor. But is not good for boost. Plus, it is a very difficult swap to perform.

In reply to:

make sure you get a good tranny with an LSD, (I think all GSRs had them, and I'm almost sure all the Type-Rs had them). The Honda and Acura guys will know better then me which trannies from which cars had better gears and an LSD. SO, overall, between the two, go with the motor out of the GSR instead of the Type-R

GSRs did not come w/ LSD. All ITRs did. And some older JDM Y1 trannies. As far as gearing, it all depends on what you want. B16 and ITR trannies have very short gearing, as apposed to GSRs w/ long gearing. So, with that said, it depends on what you want. If you have less power, of course shorter gears are going to be better. But, driving down the freeway @ 75mph @ 5000rpm is not the best experience in the world (trust me, I know).

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
talljosh85
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   4:09 PM     

NickQ-thanks for straightening out the stuff I screwed up. Hondas and Acuras are not my strong point, but as far as making the most horsepower with forced induction, lower compression is a must. Thats why a 2jzgte has lower compression then the 2jz in the NA supras, SC300s, IS300s, GS300s, (you get the idea), and when upgrading the turbos (or turbocharging a n/a motor), the most powerful cars run higher boost/lower compression set ups, hence a stock 2jzgte block can make more hp then a stock n/a 2jz block, here its in large part a matter of detonation and octane ratings, plus gas sucks in CA which of course doesn't help, although porting, stroke, and timing do, as always, come into play.

NickQ
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Sun Feb 29, 04   11:28 PM     

More or less yes. Low c/r is not a must, but is better. I you want to make alot of power, you lower the CR so you can run more boost. Your compression ratio, boost, and octane dictate how much power you can make. If you have say 11:1 CR and boost on 91 octane, you can run maybe 5-7 psi. But if you have 8.5:1 CR, you could get away with maybe 15psi without detonation. The octane is really knock resistance. You can make more power per octane point on high boost/low CR than low boost/high CR. High CR does give you a more responsive motor though.

But for what Daluth wants to do, I see no reason for him to need lower compression.

=)

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
LS4_454
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Wed Mar 10, 04   6:35 PM     

Man, I need to get my V W running and hand out some ass whoopins'.

Dlauth
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Fri Mar 12, 04   6:20 PM     

I am going to get a b18 engine.
I have another ? will the GSR engine bolt onto the Civic cat and exaust? The last ? if i buy this engine will i buy parts for the engine or the body (EX. If i want a exhaust will i buy the model for the engine or body)Also will parts that are made for the Us version fit onto the JDM
engine (If this is confusing tell me i will rewrite it)

NickQ
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Sat Mar 13, 04   7:23 PM     

In reply to:

Originally posted by Dlauth
I am going to get a b18 engine.
I have another ? will the GSR engine bolt onto the Civic cat and exaust? The last ? if i buy this engine will i buy parts for the engine or the body (EX. If i want a exhaust will i buy the model for the engine or body)Also will parts that are made for the Us version fit onto the JDM
engine (If this is confusing tell me i will rewrite it)

Yes, the civic exaust will work. The EG civics, and the DC2 Integras are based off of the same chassis. That is why so much is interchangeable from the two. Such as dash, seats, engines, exaust, ect...

As far as buying accordingly.... it all depends on what you are buying. If you are buying engine parts, you will buy them for the year/model car the engine is from. So if you need, say, an oil filter, or spark plug you will get one for the year/model car the motor came from (ie.. 94 Acura Integra 1.8 (or 1.8 vtec if you go w/ a GSR)

And all US parts will fit the JDM motor.

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
Dlauth
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Sun Mar 14, 04   8:34 AM     

So im guessing if im getting an exhaust system with a civic cat. With a b18c engine. I would buy the civic model of the exhaust because it would bolt to the civic cat or would the integra model fit too?

NickQ
Re: Engine Swap   Posted Sun Mar 14, 04   6:53 PM     

eg civics and DC2 integras are interchangeable. Meaning, either parts will work with either car (for the most part.

For example:

you can take the exaust from a gsr integra, and bolt it right up to a swapped civic of any b series motor.

[External Image Removed]
13.6 @ 99.8 2.1 - 60'
Pages in this thread: (1) 2