This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 9723

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Dlauth
upgrades   Posted Sat Jan 31, 04   1:45 PM     

Does a turbocharger cancel out cool air intake or headers?If so both or just one. Thanks

MrPeabody

Re: upgrades   Posted Sat Jan 31, 04   4:57 PM     

A turbo will cancel out any previous mods such as a cool air intake or header. The turbo utilizes its own exhaust manifold and intake.

You said you had a '00 Si right? What are your plans for it?

-Ben

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z
Dlauth
Re: upgrades   Posted Sun Feb 1, 04   9:23 AM     

i am thinking of selling my civic.
if i do what car should i get?
A)Supra
B)Eclipse GSX
C)Eclipse GS
D)Keep The civic

MrPeabody

Re: upgrades   Posted Sun Feb 1, 04   12:23 PM     

Um ok.

Out of those I’d pick a Supra TT, but you sound kind of like a kid, so on second thought maybe you should stick with a slower FWD car instead.

Also, why would you want to choose between an Eclipse GS and GSX? They are worlds apart.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z
Metal396
Re: upgrades   Posted Sun Feb 1, 04   7:49 PM     

.......... because his freinds think theyre cool...........

----------------------------------------------------
-73 Musatng 351c - 12mpg
-98 Civic EX D16Y8 - 30mpg

uglystick
Re: upgrades   Posted Mon Feb 2, 04   1:33 PM     

They're worlds apart in cost too! Maybe he's being a tad rational in that list....which dictates the choice pretty quickly.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS (Resto Project)
'78 IH Scout II (Holley Pro-jection/MSD)
'85 Jaguar XJ-S (Chevy 383/700r4)
'87 BMW 535is/A (Q-Brick)
Phatmatt

Re: upgrades   Posted Tue Feb 3, 04   8:43 PM     

well duder that all depends on how much $ you have to spend. You want to drop 30k on a used supra? Be my guest.

But you're list was very vauge. You gotta be more spacific.

Dlauth
Re: upgrades   Posted Wed Feb 4, 04   5:29 AM     

Heres a better list

A)98 Supra TT
B)95 RX-7
C)99 Eclipse GS-T
D)00 Civic Si

Phatmatt

Re: upgrades   Posted Wed Feb 4, 04   10:10 AM     

98 Supra TT is going to run you probably around $30,000 bucks used.

The GS-T is gonna come to about $10,000 give or take a grand. If you have enough money I'd drop a few extra grand and get the GSX. I can say that the AWD DSMs are total badasses. If you can afford the Supra, you might as well get the GSX as opposed to the GS-T. You'll still end up paying half as much.

95 RX-7s aren't easy to come by and in fairly high demand. You're probably going to have to pay somewhere between $15,000 and $19,000 for one.

That 2000 si would be like $14,000 assuming you had to buy it. You already own one right? So I guess that's $0 compared to the rest. I like the 2000 Si, but it's just not in the same leauge as the rest of the cars. You could drop in some cash and make it quite fast if you wanted, but I guess that is up to you.

Personally I'd go with the GS-T or better yet GSX. You already have a tubo ready engine, it's a good looking car, and you'll save $.

I'm not sure you can afford the RX-7 or the Supra. Seems like if you could really afford something that expensive you wouldn't need to ask for our advice.

MrPeabody

Re: upgrades   Posted Wed Feb 4, 04   4:38 PM     

Well. At least let us know a little more about you and what you need the car for.

How old are you? What experience do you have with cars? Do you need a daily driver or is this just a second car for messing around in?

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z
Phatmatt

Re: upgrades   Posted Wed Feb 4, 04   9:47 PM     

I don't even know why I bothered to type that. OR why any of us even bother trying to help guys when they do this. You know he's going to say "Well, I'm 15 right now, but want to think about buying my first car soon."

Dlauth
Re: upgrades   Posted Thu Feb 5, 04   6:31 PM     

Well im 17 and still in high school. I live in southern illinois so it snows quite a bit. Im looking for a car that gets pretty good gas miles but still has a lot of power.
My civic is about shot. The last person that had it drove it to death. The civic was my first car. Im thinking of getting another civic(save money on gas) or a Eclipse GSX. Then when im out of school save money for a Supra. I might find one for cheap. If it doesnt run i could build it up.

Phatmatt

Re: upgrades   Posted Thu Feb 5, 04   11:35 PM     

Take it from one who knows, don't dump all of your $ during high school on your car or cars. I wish I had the money now to pay for school now so I wouldn't have to work so damn much.

Obviously you're not buying a Supra any time soon... and I'm going to guess that the GSX and RX-7 are probably out of your price range too. Being 17 means the insurance is going to cost you a fortune too. The company I work for loves to screw everyone out of as much money as possible and kids have it worst of all. So unless you have parents willing to pay for everything, I wouldn't even bother. Seriously, how much money are you going to have?

Besides it's illinios. You don't drive a Supra or RX-7 in the middle of a snow storm. I don't even take my Talon out in the snow.

You're talking about building up a "cheap" Supra (which don't exsist unless you get an 80s Supra or a wrecked one). But how much do you even know about cars? What would you do to build up a Civic, Supra, or Eclipse?

What have you done to your 2000 Civic Si? What kind of engine does it have in it?

Please get back with some answers to my questions because I'm a tad skeptical right now. I don't think you can pull off all you say. BUT by some freak chance I could be wrong.

However if you can't afford a 38 thousand dollar car though, HERE is the advice I can give: Do well in school, learn all you can about cars with your free time, save up as much $ you can for college. Once you're through college or WAY more set with your money THEN start thinking about a fast car.

Dlauth
Re: upgrades   Posted Fri Feb 6, 04   5:53 AM     

Well it depends what is wrong with the car. I could replace the pistons, rings ,crank shaft, rods, oil pump, bearings, seals, and gaskets. The spark plugs , distributor cap, battery. The radiator, upper and lower hoses. The tires, windows and replace all the panels if it was wrecked. The interior.

I didnt put any proformance parts on. But I change the oil every 3k miles. Spark plugs, put an upper radiator hose, the battery Ya i know the basic stuff.

The civic has a B16A2 engine.

MrPeabody

Re: upgrades   Posted Mon Feb 9, 04   4:51 PM     

B16A3 actually.

As far as mods for the Civic, that depends on the condition. If the car's toast, you might think of swapping in a JDM B16 or even better a B18C. If the motor is still strong, you can mod that.

There is plenty of aftermarket support for B series motors, anything from your basic bolt on's to turbo kits.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z
Pages in this thread: (1) 2