This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 28268

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4  
hooyeah
Re: S13 or S14   Posted Thu Nov 27, 03   1:36 PM     

yup thats what i'm talking about they came on alot of older trucks to and yes they are outlawed they're cool as hell though

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Phatmatt

Re: S13 or S14   Posted Thu Nov 27, 03   1:53 PM     

my grandfather had one on a car he used to have when I was REALLY young, although I can't recall what car it was.... I'd ask him but he's asleep on the couch.

Also about the 8000 car? are we decided on the the 180sx? or are you open to other cars? or are you just wanted to swap in an s13 or 14.... I could probably go to the begining of this forum and find the answers but I'm way to full of turkey and tired to even look. god I'm sleepy. I'm going to pass out on this chair. Everyone is like almost gone. Only my dad is awake and some of the women.. we just watched the lions win. for the first time ever.

SuperKid
Re: S13 or S14   Posted Thu Nov 27, 03   6:20 PM     

I'm thinking a 180sx might be nice. I could do a kouki conversion and it would look really nice. I was talking to some friends and they were talking about some EG6 HB's they saw. So I started looking at those. They're actually pretty nice. Lots of CF parts for them that could make one really light, throw in a B16 with a stroker kit and individual throttle bodies, that thing would be sweet. So I dunno, so maybe I'll buy a civic? an S13? an S14? I really don't know. I guess it all comes down to availability.

"Genius is one-percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." - Thomas A. Edison
Phatmatt

Re: S13 or S14   Posted Sat Nov 29, 03   11:30 PM     

may not be what you even want. but I came across it, it's probably worth a look. I'm going to bed now.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0205scc_silvia/

talljosh85
Re: S13 or S14   Posted Sun Nov 30, 03   4:24 AM     

With $8,000, you could possibly buy a 3rd gen RX7 and spend the remainder rebuilding the motor, fixing a little body damage, and a few grand in bolt ons. It is almost as good a drift car as the s13 and s14 silvias, plus it is a better drag car then any of the silvia/240sx variants, plus it is lighter (on average), and they are very easy to make power with. However, if you do get one, you'll need to be very careful, the turbos spool up quick and it is very rev happy. 255hp might not seem like a lot, but in a 2800lb car with rwd, lsd, and an inexperienced driver it can be very dangerous. Not to say it can't be done as a first car, I learned to drive stick on one. And doing a b16 stroker might be kind of a waste of time, you could just do a b18c with a turbo and lower compression internals, a little engine management, and make 300hp, with more torque then any of the honda 4 cylinder motors, and in a hatchy with lots of weight reduction, traction will be your biggest problem. This is all of course just a suggestion, good luck and get off your ass and head down to the dmv.

SuperKid
Re: S13 or S14   Posted Sun Nov 30, 03   6:10 PM     

I've been looking at RX-7's, but I don't know. The problem with an RX-7 is that they're pretty rare in my area. Even 240's and civic HB's are rare. But I've seen maybe 3 RX-7's and maybe a dozen 240's, civics are a little more common, but not by much.

"Genius is one-percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." - Thomas A. Edison
Phatmatt

Re: S13 or S14   Posted Mon Dec 1, 03   12:39 PM     

ok I was really bored today so I just kind of did things and kept comming back to this over the course of three hours.... forgive how crazy ass long it is.

RX-7s are good cars with nice build-up potential and yes do make good drift cars but they are just too pricy for my tastes. I do like them but they are not cheap cars, even older ones. The 240 isn't a cheap car either but when compared to the RX-7 it's a steal. I really like them too.

As far as a civic goes, I don't know how you could go wrong (except if you really want a drift car). I was looking into this myself. A friend of mine is sort of strapped for cash, but has enough to consider buying a car and building it up. We plan on getting him a 95 Civic coupe or hatch and swapping in the GSR motor from an Integra. That puts him into a very fast little car for not that much cash (although I DO think used civics are overpriced). He's going to spend some more cash on the preformance and I guess put some into cosmetics also (head and tail-lights, "tasteful" body kit, some interior work and a new paint-job). If it goes to plan he's going to have a fast little car, that looks good, and saved him some money. Maybe you should consider that as an option though, or even the heavier 96 and newer models.

If I were you I'd consider the Eclipse as a potential buy. If you can afford it you can get them little beehotches running well into the 12s. You can't go wrong with the 1st (pre 95) or 2nd gens (95-99) although if you are really into having a drift car I'd say pick up a 1st gen AWD lighten it as much as you could and then up the power. There is a huge aftermarket for all eclipses, talons, and lazers.

However is money wasn't a big concern here are some cars I'd get and tune the shit out of and you may want to look at:

-Nessan 300ZX Twin-Turbo- THIS is an awesome car I used to have one, insanely fast if done right, expensive to modify though and kind of a pain in the ass.

-Nessan 2003 Sentra SE-R SpecV- nice inexpensive newer car with bad ass potential... would be a great car to have fun in and continue to become a better driver. Over the next few years there will be a lot of aftermarket parts to make this a road demon too.

-Toyota Supra Turbo- Ok I know this is getting REALLY expensive but they are awesome and have the rep for being like the baddest imports around. They are a hoot to drive too until the owner bitches about how much it costs and how you should be careful.... My stupid brother in law was all on my case about it. I know to be careful bitch... so shut up.

-Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4- One of my favorite impots that I've never driven. not quite as expensive as the Supra but close..... I suppose you could get the non VR-4 version of it though.... it still rocks.

-Acura Integra GS-R or Type R- sweet car, good and unique looks, huge aftermarket, awesome potential.

-Acura RSX- I think it's over-rated, but it's nice new and everyone else seems to like it ok. It's fun, but I'm just not sold on it being "the bomb" as of yet..... so I guess I shouldn't have put it in here... oh well.

-Dodge SRT-4- I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAR. I think it's the bomb and as hard as it is to get a hold of it's worth it. Had I known more about it ealier I would have saved up on it and then got one. Functional and awesome car that kicks the ass of cars that cost 10,000 grand more. Also it's engine is the badass 2.4 based on the same engine put into dodges turbo minivans of old and which unfortunately is in gay PT Cruisers. Capable of 13s with little $ and it's only going to get better!

-Ford Mustang- Whatever dude I still say that this is a good car with plenty of potential to be better. I say look into it at the very least.

ok I'm getting tired of putting down names of cars.... there are other cars to look at is all I'm saying and not all of them imports. maybe look into some classic muscle if you wanted.... phew. I'm done writing. I've got to get off the damn computer.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: S13 or S14   Posted Tue Dec 2, 03   12:38 AM     

As far as reliability and overall performace are concerned, you get what you pay for.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
Mister2age
Re: S13 or S14   Posted Mon Dec 8, 03   9:23 AM     

Hey ppl i'm from Australia and felt i had 2 join this debate on young kids with cars too powerful. i am 18 and have recently got my licence recently being july (in australia the law is that your recieve your permit after testing at the age of 16 and then go on to probationary licence at the age of 18 after another test remain on that untill the age of 21 where you are full licenced without test) In Australia with probationary drivers we enforce a a zero tollerance to drink driving and a power-to-weight ration limit which is 125kw per metric ton or 167hp at the engine per metic ton (not sure what the conversion from metric to imperial is in tonnage) eg if you hold a probationary licence and own a car that has 167 hp but weighs less than a metric ton then that car is unavalible for you to drive however is that car weighed over a ton then you could drive it my car (in standard form) is eligable since it has 147kw and weighs 1260kg to make a power-weight of 116.6 kw-ton (the way to work this out is simply do your cars power by the cars weight in tonnes including the decimal points) i believe this is a very good system and has no doubt saved alot of lives on our roads.

back to the amazing boy wonder's point of him being an exceptional driver. i have been driving cars since i was 8 when i first drove a datsun 120Y while sitting on telephone books in the back paddock of my uncle's farm and have been brought up on a healthy diet of rally driving, (yes i can drift) motorsport and rock 'n' roll. i know what my limits are as i did nothing but go hard for the 1st 8 years of my driving carrer but i also know that there is a time and a place for everything. At a street or track racing meet (ie in a fairly controled and isolated enviroment) you drive hard however going to fetch the groceries and driving hard isn't worth the risk to anyone. Anyhow back to my point. i have a 300hp MR2 (thanks to a garrett t-28 turbo, k&n pod-filter, Trust front mount inter-cooler, Hks super-dragger 2 exhaust, a'pexi super fc engine management computer and a gaggle of other junk mostly strengthening the internals and what not OH and i also have the center piece of the whole set-up a supra 6-speed gearbox which managed to get my car featured in an australian motoring publication) and i handle it just fine i DO however handle it in controled enviroments such as a race track i also have a 1987 holden commodore (Holden is GM's australian arm to give you some idea of their work the new Pontiac GTO is acctually a holden car, it is a Monaro, the Monaro is a Commodore based Coupe) and i use that as my daily driver. Time and place that is the problem with young people and powerful cars. They don't know time and place

MrPeabody

Re: S13 or S14   Posted Mon Dec 8, 03   6:42 PM     

Hey man, welcome to the boards.

That power to weight ratio restriction is pretty good idea actually, too many kids drive cars they can't handle.

The MR2 sounds nice too. I love the second gen body styles, and I bet it goes like a go-kart

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z
Phatmatt

Re: S13 or S14   Posted Tue Dec 9, 03   12:10 PM     

Agreed. Kids need to take it easy. Why drive like a madman with no reason to in a place where you may get someone hurt?

Welcome to the boards. Your MR2 sounds pretty sweet. Two questions though: Can you post some pictures of it? Why did you decide to go with the small T-28 as opposed to something bigger?

uglystick
Re: S13 or S14   Posted Tue Dec 9, 03   4:04 PM     

mr2's are for girls. get a real man's car...

jason

'81 Fiat Pininfarina Spyder; 2.0L DOHC 8Valve; 5 Speed; 10.44@188.3mph
uglystick
Re: S13 or S14   Posted Tue Dec 9, 03   4:26 PM     

just in case, that was a joke. it's great to have more aussie's and kiwi's on any car forums in my humble opinion. your culture values hot rodding more than ours does!

and correct me if i'm wrong, but you chose the garrett t28 because it's available at junkyards and has ball bearing innards? easily replaceable, cheap, etc.

plus, doesn't it usually go on a 2.0 liter engine like in the s15? your smaller engine would mean that the turbo could produce more boost for you without reaching the point of becoming unbalanced at high revs.

sounds like a good economical match to me.

your sarcastic brother across the pond,

jason
my fiat has a garrett gt-67,000,000.

'81 Fiat Pininfarina Spyder; 2.0L DOHC 8Valve; 5 Speed; 10.44@188.3mph
Phatmatt

Re: S13 or S14   Posted Tue Dec 9, 03   9:36 PM     

I guess he doesn't even need to answer now. I guessed as much.

Yep the T28 is awesome for small engines. I actually have one for the Talon. It's superior to the shitty stock one in every way and bolts on directly. I personally belive it's just as good as the insanely popular 16G (however I do think that 1st gen DSMs are better off with the 16G). It takes as much boost, spools up faster, and ends up giving you about the same gains for less money.

Mister2age
Re: S13 or S14   Posted Wed Dec 10, 03   5:33 AM     

ugly either u know ALOT about cars or you just are good at guessing. the reason for the t-28 was the roller bearings ect. but also as i have a motec boost controller in the cabin i can adjust the boost to lower levels than if i had a larger turbo. As you probably this is for better driveability as once i get off my probationary licence i'm selling the Commodore to my father and it will be my daily driver

as for the pics i am sorry to inform every1 that the car was in an accident and i'll take photos of the front left fender and bumper damage and get someone to host them for me the car should be good as new in no time, my dad-who was driving at the time i was mearly a passenger-was turning right (from the left side of the road just getting you to picture it remember i'm in AUSTRALIA) and a pensioner in a mitsubishi ran a red light and smacked square into the front left at about 60km/h (about 35 mph) BASTARD!!!

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4