This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 1715

uglystick
Saab B201 Buildup...   Posted Thu Sep 4, 03   12:09 PM     

Well, the 'ol saab b motor buildup is off the ground, the machine shop is starting work this week. They got the block magnafluxed and it's strong like bull. The rods in this lil bugger are stout as well. Here's a quick summary of the work:

9.25:1 Static CR w/ Ross Forged Pistons, including the anti-friction coating on the skirts and heat reflective coating on the domes.

Max Boost - 15psi, turbo not selected yet

Max RPM: 8500

Bottom End Prep: ARP Studded milled main caps with billet (3 Point Contact) main cap gussets This is a really awesome concept, and has been used on everything from big blower motors to smaller turbo setups. I can get some photos to explain it better. Full race balancing, a bit pricey, but worth the cost in the end....i mean hell, it's 9.25:1 cr with 15 psi boost!!! Stock rods balanced end to end. Total Seal top rings. Blue Line Crank - chamfered oiling passages, minimal turning of the journals + nitride treatment. Single o ringed block.

Head/Valvetrain: MSS dual valvesprings, good to 9000rpm, and accompanying necessary hardware (keepers, etc). SS Intake valves, sodium filled exhaust valves. mild porting work on the pocket, mild smoothing work on the combustion chambers. Head is a new AMC casting.

That's all we got through this morning with the shop. Still need to work out the cam specs and select the turbo.

Any thoughts? Just for notation, here are two pics of the car, one of the car itself the other of the ghost flames on the hood, they go the whole way down the car but aren't too visible in the main photo:

[External Image Removed]
This shot is missing the grill, air dams, hood scoop and a few other items that are pretty integral to the look of the car...

[External Image Removed]

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
BlownGTP

Re: Saab B201 Buildup...   Posted Thu Sep 4, 03   12:15 PM     

You really do like them odd ball cars man!! That thing is fuggin ugly.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
uglystick
Re: Saab B201 Buildup...   Posted Thu Sep 4, 03   12:21 PM     

lol it ain't mine. it's my dad's. he thinks its the coolest thing since sliced bread. with new rims, another 1" or so drop and the air dams on, it looks pretty wicked though. you also have to remember it's got no mill in it in that photo, so the front end sits much lower already.

all i care about is hitting 425bhp with the oem "B" engine. it's never been done. i think we might end up above that number. hell, nobody's broke 300bhp in one of these.

with the high static comp, hefty turbo and my dad's commitment to run 104+ at all times, this thing should scream bloody murder. not bad for a non-transverse 4 banger fwd car. with the accessories against the firewall and the clutch in the front!!!

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
BlownGTP

Re: Saab B201 Buildup...   Posted Thu Sep 4, 03   12:26 PM     

sounds like an intresting contraption LOL. Good luck on those HP numbers. Will the car be able to handle it?

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
uglystick
Re: Saab B201 Buildup...   Posted Thu Sep 4, 03   12:33 PM     

no. the tranny will scatter anywhere above 375hp. dad has some tricks up his sleeve for that as well, serious custom shit. the halfshafts will behave fine, the chassis is built like a tank, so it's no problem. it's just an issue of the trans gears, the chain drive between the crank and clutch shaft and the spider gears in the final drive unit.

jason