This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 3552

uglystick
bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   2:46 PM     

well,

we've got the paint off the old koop, got the front suspension finished up, waiting on some sheet metal work to finish the fuel cell install and then it's on to dropping the interum mill in and a spin around the block. chassis work is finished enough to drive the car.

it's funny. i have spent a few years on and off working on this car and the jaguar and i always got my planning worked out to get one finished then work on the other. in my frustration i switched back and forth between them enough that they'll most likely be finished within a month of each other. should be a nice race. 475 horse 3400lb jaguar vs. a 300 horse 2900lb bmw.

within the month we'll be driving the jaguar up to oregon for a coat of bmw british racing green paint and some sort of dark powdercoating scheme on the chrome bits. that chrome black look would be a sweet match, but i'll have to see what's available.

so who are all the new folks here? some of you seem mildly intelligent. others seem to be wasting my bandwidth. vw nut, what problems do you have with bmw's? if you're gonna bag on double vanos and five ecu's in one vehicle, i have no beef...but if you want to make claims about the potential power out of an m10 or m30, we'll have words. ;-) vw's with big scat cranks and dart blocks kick ass and take names, btw...you'll get no beef from me on that topic.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
VW_Nut
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   3:23 PM     

ahhhh, I think you put too many 0's in there. I like the M1's and M3's(80's) great bodies but not sure how much you can pump one up and since you dont many it is no use waiting around to kick ones ass.
Scat/dart block? I haven't gotten that far yet but that sounds like V8 stuff to me. If it is aftermarket I'm staying with factory type stuff for now. just got my 40's mounted and relized the guy didn't sell me the linkage, but damn they look good.

There is no substitute for cubic inches, except for cubic centimeters!
uglystick
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   3:44 PM     

too many 0's huh? nah, m10 is the 2.0 liter 4 cylinder and earlier 1.5l and up derivatives, and the m30 is the 3.0 liter to the 3.7 liter stroker big six. the 3.7 was never assembled as such, but a 3.3li 88.5mm crank w/ a large bore m30b35 3.5 liter would yield around 3.7-3.8 liters depending on overbore.

on your carbs, dcoe 40's or the downdraft 40's? as for the v8 sounding stuff, those companies do make big h.o. four banger blocks and cranks too. wicked shit a 3.8 liter h.o. four! contact pierce manifolds for the linkage at a good price. ask for mike, great guy. the website is piercemanifolds.com, and they're in san jose, ca.

my bimmer is a '75 3.0 cs with a 3.35 liter w/ high compression, single cam, iron block. mine will have a 750cfm edelbrock rochester style 4bbl carb and thermotec wrapped stahl headers. not bad for thrown together on a $1000 budget.

i'm not a twin cam fan (ie the m1 and the m3 engines (M108 engine code i believe on the m1 - which later was called the s38 in a different casting & configuration, and the s13 m3 twin cam). single cam mills are touger and produce torque, something that can take you off the line like a v8 if given enough compression and displacement. plus i can build one in my garage in a day without $3000 worth of proprietary bmw tools.

here's a pic of a 3.0 cs if you're not familiar. group 3 body kit included for you rice types:

[External Image Removed]

once i finish sorting out the tube frame chassis work and the rest of the body work, my car will be getting a 3.25 liter sohc m30 with a t3/t04e hybrid, haltech e6k fuel management, water to air intercooler and a fully built (digital balanced, forged pistons, o ringed block) bottom end with a motronic style m30b35 cylinder head. 450 horse shouldn't be too hard to pump out of it. i've got all the parts but the pistons. just need them and some spendy machine work and it's on.

sorry about my rambling post. just for clarification, my current 3.35 liter will probably produce around 240rwhp maximum, the turbo mill will be fully variable from around 250 to 500. probably won't ever boost it up that far. it may or may not be equipped with a venom vcn2000 nitrous system, i think i may reserve that for the jaguar (specs below). any questions, ask. good luck with your v dub. i can give you some wicked advice on those too, as i've got a close friend here who has about 30 bugs in his back yard. his advice was to get a chenowith floorpan and some other insane shit that i let go in one ear and out the other.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft EFI w/ Haltech E6k; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
uglystick
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   3:45 PM     

whew...my browser crashed when i hit send, i thought i lost all of that rambling bullshit ;-)

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft EFI w/ Haltech E6k; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
VW_Nut
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   3:49 PM     

I guess that makes sense in Bimmer land, right now I have 40mm Kadrons, not sure if they are DCOE. We have a local shop that can get me the linkage, thanks for the help though.
Good to see someone with a "real" project and not some tube framed, fiberglass, 4 door, 16 second fantasy. How soon before yours is up and running?

uglystick
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   3:53 PM     

the interum engine coupe should be done within a month and a half at the most. jag will be done in three weeks max. turbo mill and tube chassis done by next february.

my 'tube frame' isn't really a frame, rather some drawn over mandrel 1.5" subframe and runner connectors and vital rear shock tower to diff mount bracing with similar tubing, etc.

are your 40mm throttles sidedraft or downdraft? i'm assuming they're like the weber downdrafts that the porsche owners love...

jason

VW_Nut
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   4:31 PM     

Sounds like fun project, something that will actually come to life unlike some other discussions around here.
My 40's are single throat downdrafts, but I dont think they are webers.

Driftninja

Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   6:50 PM     

wow thats going to be one wicked vintage car. what are your plans after its complete?

[External Image Removed]
[External Image Removed]
'89 RX7
'91 Integra
'92 Ranger
LS4_454
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   8:20 PM     

Hey Jason,
Good to see you are making progress on the Coupe. Congrats on the marriage too, how is everything?
Looks like someone needs a lesson in BMW's. We sold the 528, hated to see it go but we weren't driving it anymore and it was taking much needed room in the garage. Great car, made a bundle too! We bought it for $1 3 years ago, put on 60,000 miles and sold it for $8000! Nice huh?!

LS4_454
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Tue Sep 2, 03   8:21 PM     

Dont tell me you are shopping at Indio Dune Buggy?

uglystick
Re: bimmer progress...   Posted Wed Sep 3, 03   9:36 AM     

ls,

e28's are great cars. too bad most owners don't even know what they're driving, and trash them routinely.

as for the chenowith comment, i got that from a crazy bug owner here who has a ton of floor pans, shells, etc, in his yard.

he's moved on to bigger and better vehicles lately - namely 3.0Si's and bavaria's. yeehaw. he's done a phenomenal job with the one he's currently building, it's a project on equal scale to that of my coupe, but he hasn't figured out how to make it go fast yet...just serious chassis strengthening and some amazing body work.

jason