This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 36972

Pages in this thread: 1 2 3 4 (5)  
VW_Nut
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Mon Sep 22, 03   2:56 PM     

Oh, I thought you were talking to me since you replied to my post, no prob.
Does the Jag use the same mineral oil as a Rolls that is just above the exhaust system? I've seen a few of those burn down too from that problem. Fix my brake system? Why should I have to do that? LOL

There is no substitute for cubic inches, except for cubic centimeters!
uglystick
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Mon Sep 22, 03   3:24 PM     

nah the later model v12's use a magnetti marelli distributor with a twin coil and twin ignition amplifier. should one of those items associated with one or the other bank fail, the car will run on six, dump fuel from the other six into the cat, then reignite the fuel in the cat when the intermittent problem goes away. the problems, even in earlier models are usually ingition wiring oriented.

woof.

yikes.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
LS4_454
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Mon Sep 22, 03   6:22 PM     

I have had the wonderful opportunity to be in the back seat of a '61 bug, ASLEEP, only to find out the back of the car was on fire!

LS4_454
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Mon Sep 22, 03   6:29 PM     

Hahaha, we had the same problem with the first V12 750's (E32's). BMW fixed it by changing the fuel pump relay so it only engerized when it had a voltage signal(KV) from the coil firing, later cars were controlled by the ECU. Of course they didn't figure this out until a car dropped one bank while being road tested by a salesman/customer and it burned to the ground before it could make it back to the dealer. I'm sure while they were limping back the salesman was saying how the customer could drive back at 125mph on one bank, or maybe it was 60mph depending on how bad the fire was. LOL
The other nice thing when it was in limp mode was that the dead bank would close the throttle, so now it is like pulling the choke on a carburator and the engine would fill the cats with engine oil as it got pulled through the valve guide seals, nice huh?
So now picture this after you fix the bad bank and heat up the cats again, the car would look like a DDT bug sprayer.

hooyeah
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Tue Sep 23, 03   12:46 AM     

how does it work well instead of reciprocating motion being transferred into rotary motion the combustion generates rotary motion i'm sure someone already answered this in the next 30 replies but go to howstuffworks.com and they have diagrams very interesting

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
KaosMan
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Thu Sep 25, 03   9:05 PM     

UglyStick, nice to see a fellow E6K user...

Man the bullshit is horribly thick around here? Rotory whatever your name is, you make no sense.

For what its worth guys, rotaries can handle lots of power...its the tuning that gets em. One detonation session on a dyno and the engine is done. So there are a lot of peeps tuning their cars for max power and breaking engines, and even more ignorant peeps like the aforementioned that up the stock boost and break shit. This is why the rotary has a bad rep.

On the FD, a T88 is pretty big but not outlandish. Thats similar to what Ari Yellon of Rotary Performance in Texas runs in his 10 second daily driven FD. Some people have used the J&S knock system with success, mainly on the FC models. But the big tuners use tuning knowledge to ensure that detonation doesn't occur, at least with the rotaries.

LS4, the air filter thing is correct, even more so with exhaust. In both the FC & FD the turbos are the weak link. They restrict the engine's exhaust when high boost is applied. The FD isn't as bad, cause of the sequential turbos, but the vacuum hose & solenoid setup that controls them is crappy and most aren't at full potential. With a Haltech or Microtech, the FD can get up to 600hp with the correct turbo and good tuning. FCs can hit the 500 mark, but not as reliably as the FD.

Whoever's local, and happens to cruise Palm Springs on Saturday nights, keep your eye out for a black, loud & smelly RX-7. If you've got any questions about em just come up and check it out. I'd offer to take anyone for rides but right now my car is not tuned for boost...the wideband is coming from the land of Oz and will be here in a week. But maybe the car can dispel some myths, also be cool to meet some fellow car enthusiasts.

Power is nothing without control

Team Organized Kaos

Edited by KaosMan (Fri Sep 26, 03   2:03 PM)

Phatmatt

Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Thu Sep 25, 03   10:35 PM     

again, you kick ass.

uglystick
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   11:19 AM     

kaos....why is it that all the knowledgable e6k users have rotaries? damn...you folks are one crowd who don't mess around in the tech department.

as for the wideband from the land of oz, are you going to be using the techedge wideband afr meter? i'm planning on getting one for use in ALL of my vehicles. one carburetted, two fuel injected and it looks like a hell of a thing to invest in. i have heard that the honda insight wb o2 sensor hasn't had the price jacked up on it yet...any truth to this rumor. hell i may have heard it here.

i'm a ways off from running my e6k yet. but it'll get going as soon as my jag sbc project gets off to paint.

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
KaosMan
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   12:26 PM     

Uglystick, its the TechEdge v2.0 Wideband kit with the Bosch LSU-4 sensor. I got the DIY kit to save some money, and cause I like to tinker with stuff. It was on its way as of 3 days ago, I've got another week I guess.

I don't know about the Insight, but you can get the LSU from VW parts sources for around $35...but last I checked, a custom cable would have to be made to get the TechEdge to work with it. I just went with their sensor, it was $100 but thats still not too bad.

I love the Haltech. Tuning software is a bit dated but its easy to use and robust. I'm planning on a E11 for my turbo'd Miata, along with another v2.0 wideband setup.

Power is nothing without control

Team Organized Kaos
CutChemist
Re: Codename: Kick Ass   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   9:48 PM     

Rx7's are cool, i just dont knwo very much about them. They are fast as heck though, id love to own one.

Pages in this thread: 1 2 3 4 (5)