This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 27649

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3 4  
jonorme
Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Wed Sep 24, 03   12:22 PM     

But that av is the dogs bollox lol

jonorme
Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Wed Sep 24, 03   12:23 PM     

Dogs bollox = Really good

(English phrase)

LS4_454
Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Thu Sep 25, 03   7:59 PM     

Just wait until Milk see's it!

KaosMan
Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Thu Sep 25, 03   8:42 PM     

Dayum...a lot of rotary misconceptions on this board? LOL its all good, not a lot of peeps know how to successfully modify these cars...this is a good thing, keeps em in the hands of the true enthusiast.

First off, rotaries do not blow after 90K miles. They blow either due to overheating, or detonation. Plain and simple. Also they are very expensive to modify. You can't just buy a turbo for $700-$1K and call it a day. This is how the engines blow and rumors begin.

I've got easily $10K invested in mine...full engine management, 60-1 turbo, new engine, etc etc...and its never done. If you have the money and the patience it is the most rewarding and unique of all the imports.

DriftNinja, what does your father have done to his FD to see 400 hp? And you got any pics of yours? What trim?

And these cars just don't "burst into flames". Anyone who knows jack about the RX, knows about its Achilles Heel...the pulsation damper. With age, they leak, and most owners keep driving them until they catch on fire. The injectors are not the cause, nor the fuel lines, or the design. Its the high underhood heat that a turbo rotary generates. Even then, you've gotta be pretty lame to let it catch fire...we had an FD that was shooting a 4" stream of fuel right out of the PD, and it made it from Cabazon to DHS where it got fixed. No fire, its a common myth about the rotary, just like everything else...

Power is nothing without control

Team Organized Kaos

Edited by KaosMan (Thu Sep 25, 03   8:46 PM)

MrPeabody

Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Thu Sep 25, 03   9:03 PM     

Bout time we had a knowledgeable rotary nut on the board, welcome

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Phatmatt

Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Thu Sep 25, 03   10:32 PM     

dude you are the man. I like your car, I like your attitude, and I've got a feeling that you kick ass. You've instantly become one of my favorite people on the board.

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Thu Sep 25, 03   11:37 PM     

So the Rx's that have caught fire that i have seen torched that had been evaluated to determine the cause of the fire were not from the injectors? Saw them with my own eyes, heard it with my own ears. and Rx's do go to hell around 90K miles, unless you want an engine rebuild, or constantly baby the damn thign and wipe it with a diaper all day. Theres no myth behind the injector issue; it happens. There just happens to be more then one issue to more then one problem, but im sure you know what your talking about, consider yourself respected by me Mr. Rx Lover, lol.

Feel the power of the new Renesis Rotar engine.
[External Image Removed]
KaosMan
Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   10:15 AM     

PhatMatt, damn dude I don't kick that much ass lol, I just try to be as knowledgable about my car as I can...thanks for the post...:)

RX_otary...

The injectors in the 13BT & 13B-REW are no different than the injectors found in any other import. No offense to your friends or relatives but ignorance is what causes fuel to leak from an injector...more than likely the injectors were pulled from the rail, and the existing o-ring was reused. This is a common mistake that will burn a rotary to the ground. Its a shame that a $1 o-ring can do this, but most don't understand the value of replacing them.

How many rotaries have you had? How can you say the rotary engine only lasts 90K? I'm on my third RX...my last was a '86 base that had over 280K on the original engine. It would have kept going if it wasn't totalled in an accident. My latest RX had 140K on the original engine before the water seals went from an unfortunate overheating session years ago. This is why the rotary breaks...oveheating. Or they are modded incorrectly and break an apex seal.

This engine misconception is real popular in the FD crowd. For a while, most engines needed to be replaced at about 70K miles because of low compression, water consumption, etc. Turned out that the FD stock water gauge is VERY inaccurate. Most engines got too hot and overheated, killing them. When the water temps & air/fuel ratios are kept in check, the engines will run for a long time, driven hard.

Its real easy for someone to blame an engine design for a blown motor, instead of fessing up to improper tuning or mods. These engines are real tricky. Sounds to me like you've never owned an RX-7, and are just regurgitating garbage you've read elsewhere. Misinformation sucks, keep it to yourself.

Team Organized Kaos
uglystick
Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   11:14 AM     

hey kaos,

welcome to the board. i dunno if you kick as much ass as matt says, but it's rare that we get someone worth their salt on the first few posts. good start!

what kind of engine management do you run?

jason

Cat'n'Mouse - '85 Jaguar XJ-S w/ SBC 383 Stroker; Moon Cross Ram Quad Sidedraft 45DCOE Webers; TCI 700R4; 2200 Stall; Dana 44 Indy Rear Axle w/ 2.88:1 Gears & Powr-Lok Posi; Goal: 185mph.
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   3:34 PM     

I have never owned an Rx personally until the one bought recently which technically isnt mine either. My dad owns a "dismantlers" office (junkyard for all you others) and has about 3 or 4 Rx's all burned in the engine compartment. Rx's dotn necessarily just explode the exact second you hit 90k miles, but its around that immidiate area. Ive personally never seen an Rx get to over 120K miles. My dad knows what hes talking about when he says that Rxs are deathtraps, and its very true, but i guess only to the common Rx owner.

Feel the power of the new Renesis Rotar engine.
[External Image Removed]
KaosMan
Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   5:04 PM     

Oh I see...so Daddy says RX-7s are death traps, so that makes it true? Umm okay, you see I'm a GROWN UP, and know the truth on that one. I don't rely on mommy or daddy for opinions on cars, money, housing, etc.

Since you've never owned an RX-7 then you can't say shit about their reliability or fuel issues. Maybe someday when you grow up, and form your own opinions instead of daddies, then you too can own a rotary and see what they are about...instead of bullshit second-hand stories from peeps who don't know what they're talking about.

Team Organized Kaos
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   5:41 PM     

Yea...No. I dont "rely" on my dads opinions, which arent opinions to begin with. They ARE deathraps, cuz they FUCKING CATCH FIRE. I guess you dont get around to seeing Rxs much because most of the ones ive seen werent even on the road; they were plopped on the ground cuz they burst into flames. I havent owned a rotary but ive known people who have owned rotaries. I think my dads pretty qualified to make opinions about cars when hes kind of been working with them since he was 20 about hes fucking 46 now, and has owned all 3 gens of Rx7s.And whats with you havign somethign against my dad, did your dad neglect you when you were a child (thats if you really are "grown" right now) Ive got a little present 4 ya, its down there

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/stfupope.jpg

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
KaosMan
Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   5:57 PM     

The RX-7 catches fire no more often than the next car. Just because your dad's shitty wrecking yard has a couple burnt RX-7s doesn't mean they all magically catch fire.

Dude, you've never even OWNED a 7! How can you say one way or the other anything about them? Why don't you talk about something you know about, being a kid and an IDIOT...

I could give two squirts of piss for your dad...nor will I explain my father's job of parenting with you.

Just because your dad was some wrench monkey for 20 years doesn't say shit for his ability with rotaries. He's owned 3? Whooptie do...does he want a cookie?

I modify & tune rotaries as a hobby, for my friend's shop in Oxnard, CA. http://www.rmjmotorsport.com. My hands have touched more rotaries than you've ever seen in your wildest wettest dreams.

You STFU, you've been OWNED...go play Nintendo or something, I've got cars to tune.

Team Organized Kaos
Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   6:04 PM     

"No you STFU" hahaha great job there. Did i ignite a fire(no pun intended) when i mention your dear old dad? Maybe thats why you like Rotaries so damn much, maybe you caught the "piston" from your dad a few times huh? You can say what you watn abotu my dad, i dont give a shit, hes worked on more cars PERIOD than you ever will, or envision about. Your friends shop sucks, and you suck. As for nintendo, well im playing it right now, and i believe you owe me a cookie. BTW Owned is a childs phrase for feeling superior. You think i give a fuck abotu yoru clown posse? Your insane, trying to act like a journalist and sound all smart. "Ive worked with more burned cars then you, and my friend owns a gas station in oxnard, he just happens to sell type R stickers,na na na na na na" Do yourself a favor and go play freeze freeway tag with michael J fox, and try not to win.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
MrPeabody

Re: Ol' Unreliable   Posted Fri Sep 26, 03   7:10 PM     

Alright you little fucknut. I got off your sorry ass because I thought you might actually sit back and learn something for once. Obviously this is not the case. So I’m going to jump in here with my comments, as I’m sure many other people will also do on this board, hopefully leading to a daily bashing.

In reply to:

Maybe thats why you like Rotaries so damn much, maybe you caught the "piston" from your dad a few times huh?

For someone who seems to love rotaries so much, you’ve spent the last week bitching about them in every which way. Might want to change your screen name since you’re a flaming hypocrisy.

In reply to:

Your friends shop sucks, and you suck.

And you wonder why everyone here has such a low opinion of you. You’re an immature little kid who doesn’t know jack shit about cars, and until you pull your head out of your ass and actually listen to people who you can learn from, you never will.

Take a hint, get a damn clue.

*Insert Rx_otary_Se7en’s childish “You suck, shut the fuck up, and huh huh gay uncle Ben…” comments as follows.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3 4