This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 20069

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4  
bandit
drifting   Posted Fri Aug 8, 03   6:41 PM     

could any one tell my a good motro to put in a 87 carrolla that would help me make a better drift car

Gorgoth3k1

Re: drifting   Posted Fri Aug 8, 03   7:21 PM     

a different car would make it a better drift car... to do a real drift the car has to be RWD and have a POSI or a LSD at the least... well... it can also be AWD, but I dont think you can drift a FWD car... in fact... FWD cars just pull through the turns... dont have much to worry about... the point of drifting is to spin your tires through the curve as your car is sideways and control your car at the VERY EDGE of traction... its an art form and i personally wouldnt recommend it until you've practiced MANY times on a controlled circuit.... it can be VERY dangerous to you and to other drivers...

-Daniel

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
SweetNeon

Re: drifting   Posted Fri Aug 8, 03   7:33 PM     

put 4 donuts on the car and ya wouldnt need an engine swap

bandit
Re: drifting   Posted Sat Aug 9, 03   2:03 AM     

the car is rwd it a gts and the problem is it doesnt have the power to do the drift and i know the risk i have done this for 3 years now but never in a newer import car and i not up to date with the notros and stuff like that i have any import but its a 74 and there nothing the same so all i need is some motor that would work you see what i mean

bandit
Re: drifting   Posted Sat Aug 9, 03   2:05 AM     

could some one help me and tell me some good shock that would stiffin the car up some

Satanismycopilot
Re: drifting   Posted Sat Aug 9, 03   5:49 AM     

In reply to:

In response to:

Poster: bandit
Subject: Re: drifting

the car is rwd it a gts and the problem is it doesnt have the power to do the drift and i know the risk i have done this for 3 years now but never in a newer import car and i not up to date with the notros and stuff like that i have any import but its a 74 and there nothing the same so all i need is some motor that would work you see what i mean

no i dont see what you mean....i cant understand a damn thing your tryin to say

Re: drifting   Posted Sat Aug 9, 03   4:30 PM     

i thought you said it was an 87 corolla? i dont think those are RWD.... and where is this '74 car comin in? what are you talkin about, bud? get yer stories straight, man... if you wanna drift get a supra or rx-7.... those are badass drifters and the stock motor is enough... just need an LSD on the back end... or a DSM... those can be badass drifters too... hehe...

and are you saying its a corolla gts so its rwd? i dont think gt series cars have different engine configs than the base model... altho now there is the base lancer and the evolution, but that doesn't change the orientation of the engine just the transmission and adds a driveaxle out back...

wtf is a corolla gts? its been my experience that old japanese cars are FUGLY except for the supra... it looked nice in the late 80's early 90s... better than they look now IMHO...

-Daniel

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
Satanismycopilot
Re: drifting   Posted Sun Aug 10, 03   5:13 PM     

or he could do us all a favor by dieing and getting in the coffin

Re: drifting   Posted Sun Aug 10, 03   7:54 PM     

87 corollas are fine for drifting, although I’d work hard on car balance before I hopped up the engine. Find a club that's into drift and see if you can get some tips on car handle.

You have several options for a motor transplant. The easiest would be one from those years. There were two motors in the JDM Trueno (USDM Corolla.) The Japanese corolla from those years had two engines, the 4AGE and the 4AGZE. The ZE was supercharged and I think it came in the AE86 GT-Apex’s and the US Supercharged MR2's. Either way, I think these would be the easiest swaps. Some people have also swapped in Turbo MR2 motors, but I think that would be harder.

Do a search on the net and research it as much you can.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
MrPeabody

Re: drifting   Posted Sun Aug 10, 03   7:57 PM     

His corolla is a GTS and it is RWD. The GTS is just the higher model. Do some research before you make assumptions about cars you don't know anything about.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
SweetNeon

Re: drifting   Posted Sun Aug 10, 03   10:46 PM     

who me =)

JcAus
Re: drifting   Posted Mon Aug 11, 03   5:30 AM     

all I am going to say is 4AGE 20 valve

My mate ran one in his rolla

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
MrPeabody

Re: drifting   Posted Mon Aug 11, 03   9:49 AM     

And then throw on an individual throttle body set up

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
JcAus
Re: drifting   Posted Mon Aug 11, 03   3:19 PM     

In reply to:

And then throw on an individual throttle body set up

Hell yeah

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
Driftninja

Re: drifting   Posted Fri Aug 15, 03   1:20 AM     

wow you guys are funny. anyway if youre corolla is an ae85 chassis then you need the dual cam motor swap. if it an ae86 model all you need is lsd and stiffer suspension. for lsd i would go quaife or preferably cusco. cusco for sure makes one for youre car. and if youre on abudget than just stiffer springs in the back should work. i own an 89 rx7, its great for drifting so is the carolla, the carolla is one of the best its actually a far superior drifting machine than a supra. i wont go into it unless asked but there you go for now. btw my dad lives in rancho mirage, im from fresno. hi

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4