This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 13744

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3  
uglystick
Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Wed Jul 9, 03   1:59 PM     

Well,

bimmer update.

the inner fenders are done, we'll be finishing them off with metal2metal body filler (aluminum infused bondo) just for cosmetic purposes. additionally we've got the car on blocks (3 corners) and one corner suspended. i can sit my fat ass on the suspended corner and the car won't even budge.

not good enough, we'll be tubeframing the framerails to the firewall, tying the two framerails together at the front of the car with tube and filling the main framerails and rocker panels with itb structural foam over the next 5 days. we'll also be installing the suspension components.

damn it's nice to finally see this car take shape.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
BlownGTP

Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Wed Jul 9, 03   6:33 PM     

You should post some pictures when you have a chance. I would be intrested in seeing them.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
uglystick
Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Mon Jul 14, 03   10:38 AM     

most of the new photos are at the link below. we finished up the work on the inner fenders this weekend and i started to tackle the trunk, dropped the tank out, cut the lip that held the tank out. next up - weld a 23"x20" plate into the floor and cut out a hole to bolt my 16 gallon fuel cell into.

enjoy: http://orionoutdoor.com/jason/rostwerke3/

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
MrPeabody

Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Mon Jul 14, 03   11:31 AM     

Wow, looks like you guys had fun, (and I use "fun" lightly.)

-Ben

uglystick
Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Mon Jul 14, 03   1:04 PM     

yeah well, i ain't afraid of the rust anymore. i see it and cut at it like a butcher to fat. i got that trunk work done in about an hour including removing the tank, etc. i've got a panel started to put in there. i still haven't really solidified how i'll be mounting the cell from below. probably with a square hole in the trunk floor surrounded by cheapo jc whitney weatherstripping. as long as it makes a tight fit and seals i'm set. that'll keep me from having to construct an upturned 1/2" lip all the way around its perimeter.

progress plods along...

jason

Satanismycopilot
Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Mon Jul 14, 03   4:01 PM     

i assume your gonna put an undercoat on it to prevent rust on all that nice new work you did.

Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Mon Jul 14, 03   4:39 PM     

nope. undercoating can get water under it and rust shit worse than without. the car will not be driven in the rain and we're going to spray por-15 under everything that had rust around it.

jason

Satanismycopilot
Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Mon Jul 14, 03   6:20 PM     

whats por-15?

Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Tue Jul 15, 03   4:26 PM     

rust inhibitor/arrester.

jason

hooyeah
Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Tue Jul 15, 03   7:15 PM     

yeah as long as ya keep it nice and clean underneath you wont need undercoating same thing happened with my brothers old firebird the undercoat was done poorly and got water underneath it hence the cracked frame and shackle

heard alot about that rust stuff does it actually work?

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Satanismycopilot
Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Wed Jul 16, 03   8:03 PM     

ooooohhh well that por-15 is what i ment by undercoat....but if thats not an undercoat then whats an undercoat?

Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Thu Jul 17, 03   1:55 PM     

undercoating is usually a three stage rubberized nasty shit that can get bubbles and condensation trapped between the rubber and the steel of the body. ugly...ask me how i know.

jason

DieselGoPed

Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Thu Jul 17, 03   7:29 PM     

how d'you know?

A wheel is for ever. A car is infinity times four.
Drive it like you stole it!
uglystick
Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Fri Jul 18, 03   8:51 AM     

more photos - of the raw metalwork without filler:

http://orionoutdoor.com/jason/rostwerke4/

and goped, what's summat mean?

jason

DieselGoPed

Re: Structural Chassis Work Continues   Posted Fri Jul 18, 03   9:40 AM     

some thing = summat.
hmmm, now i look at it, it doesnt really make sense.........

A wheel is for ever. A car is infinity times four.
Drive it like you stole it!
Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3