This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 3781

LS4_454
Acura TSX ad   Posted Fri Jun 6, 03   8:58 PM     

Just caught a new ad for the Acura TSX and see they are toughting "Drive-by-Wire Throttle System", if this is something "new" for them then they are waaaaay behind by 15 years, the '88 BMW 750il has had it that long and since '99 all the BMW models have had it.
I thought Honda/Acura were on top of things?
I always like it when a manufacturer trys to make something so new when it is so old.

BlownGTP

Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Sat Jun 7, 03   7:37 AM     

what is drive-by-wire?

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
Satanismycopilot
Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Sat Jun 7, 03   10:11 AM     

means no manual connections everything is controled by computer...ie there is no throttle cable from the gas pedal to the throttle body the computer works it

Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Sat Jun 7, 03   10:14 AM     

is that supposed to be good or somthing? whats the point?

hooyeah
Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Sat Jun 7, 03   6:11 PM     

smoothness i think they also have a steering system like that don't they? turn the wheel and a computer turns the steering components?

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Edited by hooyeah (Sat Jun 7, 03   6:11 PM)

uglystick
Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Mon Jun 9, 03   3:17 PM     

another benefit of drive by wire is that the computer can control throttle opening, meaning that when you floor it, sometimes the computer doesn't floor it - because it'd be counter productive to do so.

the real question is this: can they tune it for power OR economy and give us a switch? sure would be nice.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
BlownGTP

Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Mon Jun 9, 03   4:59 PM     

yea well mine would always be on power!!

uglystick
Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Tue Jun 10, 03   10:25 AM     

lol...true true. those twin cam engines don't suck too much fuel at wot anyway.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
LS4_454
Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Tue Jun 10, 03   6:58 PM     

The throttle can now be integrated into the DSC(slip control) system and the throttle can be "backed off" by the control unit when too much tire slippage is detected, the system will also down shift the transmission and even apply different brakes to help with things like over/under steer. It is a pretty trick system that isnt too intrusive on the driver and it can really save your butt, but there is still the law of physics that over rules everything!
Take your dads 540 out on a nice sweeping turn were there isn't ANY traffic and makes some passes, gradually go faster with each pass until you get comfortable then try and get it out of shape and see how it recovers. A nice big EMPTY parking lot is a great
place to try this, at some point you may have the gas pedal floored but the car is slowing down until it gets back into shape.

BlownGTP

Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Wed Jun 11, 03   7:17 AM     

so does that meen the 540 is drive by wire? I know the car handles great thats for sure.

LS4_454
Re: Acura TSX ad   Posted Wed Jun 11, 03   7:53 PM     

I think they started the electronic throtle control on those in about '99. If the center engine cover is removed with just push buttons and not 10mm nuts then it has the electronic throttle.