This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 6109

uglystick
BMW Progress   Posted Mon May 19, 03   10:14 AM     

Some progress on the bimmer...well, we got the engine & trans out. Should have the new 260 horse N/A Engine & Five speed in it soon.

Here are some photos of the t3/t4 hybrid mocked up on the engine w/ turbo intake. also photos of the car up on blocks w/ engine & trans out.

front shot of the turbo mockup:

[External Image Removed]

shot of the turbo:

[External Image Removed]

from above (ooh purdy valvecover huh!!):

[External Image Removed]

and the main link:

http://orionoutdoor.com/users/jason/web/BigTurboMockup/

later,

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
hooyeah
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Mon May 19, 03   7:35 PM     

are crossflow heads easier to turbo or harder? just realised when we did the swap the vette has crossflow

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
MrPeabody

Re: BMW Progress   Posted Mon May 19, 03   10:52 PM     

I'd imagine crossflow heads breathe better.

-ben

uglystick
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Tue May 20, 03   9:00 AM     

crossflow heads are better for two reasons:

1. they do breathe better, but not entirely better as the swirl in the chamber allows gasses to exit from whence they came.

2. the most important reason, you can keep the intake side of the block cooler than the exhaust side, whereas on a non crossflow head you'll end up with a single or two manifolds entertwined to the point that exhaust manifold temp will heat sink into the intake. makes intercooling super tough too as the intake manifold then acts as an after-heater.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
BlownGTP

Re: BMW Progress   Posted Tue May 20, 03   9:46 AM     

nice flame job on the oil filter!! LOL

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
uglystick
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Tue May 20, 03   12:08 PM     

yeh i was just fartin around with the tape. i might end up putting some blue pearl flames on that can then running griots alu. clearcoat over it. just depends.

i gotta get better with the badger airbrush first. it ain't easy.

jason

LS4_454
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Tue May 20, 03   9:46 PM     

I sure hope that block is black when you get done with it ! The blue looks very gay. LOL Are the injectors at the bottom of the intake runner in the top photo? Use wrinkle paint on the valve cover the sand down the raised ridges and the BMW roundel, gives it that Alpina look. Did that on my old E12 along with the intake plenum and runners and it looked awesome, but a lot of work.

uglystick
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Wed May 21, 03   10:00 AM     

the block was blue when i got it. it's the n/a engine, and yes it'll be painted black. fuck painting a valvecover. it'll get blue pearl flames coming off the roundel on a polished aluminum surface when i'm capable of wielding the airbrush well enough. until then, it'll be polished alu. period. no wrinkle paint for me here.

and yes the injectors come out of the outside edge of the runners, not the inside edge.

this car is driving me crazy, i busted my ass on it last night with the torch & putty knife. trying to clean off all of the undercoating near where i will be welding tube to reinforce the shock tower mounts, etc. it is a big pain in the ass.

i got the bilsteins on the back end, i've got a plan for tubing the front end sufficient enough to handle moderate power.

sadly enough, i'm still teetering on whether to turbo this car. i may simply do an e12 or e28.

jason

BlownGTP

Re: BMW Progress   Posted Wed May 21, 03   10:15 AM     

You dont know if your going to turbo it or not? Man , you gotta be crazy. you have the turbo so why not do it?

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
uglystick
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Wed May 21, 03   11:15 AM     

man i don't want to twist the car in half. i am simply saying that i may turbocharge a different bmw and keep this one as naturally aspirated.

i'm simply going to put the n/a engine on it, and work out the groans and creaks in the chassis. if i can shore it up well enough that it is solid with n/a power, i'll throw a cage on top of my prior work and turbocharge it.

secondarily, ive got a hell of an offer on an e28 (535i) turbo car that is well worked out and turnkey. adding the haltech, intercooler & big turbo would be a HUGE improvement to its already 300hp.

jason

SweetNeon

Re: BMW Progress   Posted Fri May 23, 03   10:18 PM     

i think your missing another turbo, single camer Bavarian monkey wagon racer =)

Edited by SweetNeon (Fri May 23, 03   10:20 PM)

uglystick
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Wed May 28, 03   12:53 PM     

awww FUCK! and all that god damn casting cost...i forgot the plumbing for the other snail!!!

GOD DAMN!

water to air intercooled intakes don't come cheap, i don't care what it says on it, it'll work with six motorcycle turbos for all i care.

jason

Hawk284
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Sun Jun 1, 03   9:00 PM     

Nice work.

uglystick
Re: BMW Progress   Posted Mon Jun 2, 03   4:12 PM     

thanks. i just got the electrical conduit to mock up the front unitbody seam gusseting. should have some time to work on it tonight. i'm planning on rewelding all of the main structural body panel seams then overlaying a set of 1/2" tubes and welding them in over the seams. that way each seam has three welds and a structural cage to keep everything together.

i've still got to douse the unremovable rust bits in por 15, still got to modify the main front k member (cut out and lower the mounting points for the sway, reinforce it to handle the pressure of a 30mm bar on a car that came with a 19mm setup orginally, and provide space for a real bushing with more than 4mm of polyurethane wrapped around that big assed bar) and a whole lot more.

lots of work, will be rewarded equally with the finished product though. i still need to order my chassis engineering book again. last copy is so tattered that it's barely readable and the last time i soaked all of this information in was three years back and i had nothing to apply it to.

progress is made in little steps. those who are patient and persistent prevail. my dad's words of 'patience, my son,' echo in my head every minute i work on this infernal rustbucket.

jason