This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 20604

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4  
hooyeah
Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Tue Apr 22, 03   8:31 PM     

so that would be like the crank slipping or something i don't get it

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
uglystick
Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Wed Apr 23, 03   10:35 AM     

that would mean that the crank moves forward or backward in the block??? uneven wear patterns on the main bearings? ls4, wtf? explain this to us heathens.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
BlownGTP

Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Wed Apr 23, 03   10:45 AM     

thats how i picture it. the barings wear bad and the crank moves from side to side slightly.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
MrPeabody

Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Wed Apr 23, 03   2:08 PM     

That would be my assumption. Either way it equals toasted engine...

-Ben

ProbeU

Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Wed Apr 23, 03   4:42 PM     

well I don't want that to happen. Do you know how often something like this happends, what can keep it from happening? Maybe we should find a nice 1st gen engine for that 98.

MrPeabody

Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Wed Apr 23, 03   5:53 PM     

It's not a common occurrance, doesn't happen enough for Mitsubishi to designate it a recall problem. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure and keep on the regular mantainance and then some. The main reason to swap engines is the larger intake and exhaust ports.

-Ben

hooyeah
Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Wed Apr 23, 03   7:32 PM     

i don't know mitsu very well but why not jsut swap on parts? or is it a different engine completely

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
LS4_454
Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Wed Apr 23, 03   9:58 PM     

The thrust bearing keeps the crank from moving forward and backwards in the block, it is what determines how much end play the crank has. Too much and the crank moves forward and back (walks) and eats up the bearings along with the rod bearings and maybe even the rods in extreme cases. Too little and the motor may seize up. It is usually the last bearing closest to the flywheel that has the larger sides on it.

MrPeabody

Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Wed Apr 23, 03   10:24 PM     

It's almost completely the same engine, except for the larger ports. Should bolt up with no mods as far as I know...

-Ben

Phatmatt

Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Thu Apr 24, 03   7:27 AM     

The engines are very similar but many parts won't bolt up as easily as you would like. but it's ok since quite a few will and the rest you can usually make fit for find subsitutes for.

uglystick
Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Thu Apr 24, 03   10:30 AM     

ls4, do bimmers have thrust bearings on the crank? is this generally the front or rear bearing that would have this additional lip (i am making assumptions here) or is it a separate bearing? if so, what keeps IT in place?

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
LS4_454
Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Thu Apr 24, 03   8:07 PM     

Yes Jason, it is the rear bearing and some of the bimmers have extra shims to adjust the end play instead of different bearings with different size shoulders and it is also in the rear, usually the last one. It stays in place just like the others with a tang on one end of the bearing. All motors have some sort of thrust bearing, some adjust end play different than others though.

SweetNeon

Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Fri May 2, 03   11:07 PM     

bulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll shit =)

LS4_454
Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Sun May 4, 03   4:30 PM     

Care to add something dumbshit?! Was good to see you last night at Sidewinders, what did you think about the "special"?

DieselGoPed

Re: Look at this little shit!!   Posted Mon May 5, 03   4:25 AM     

ohh my god... can you two please get a room? this really is starting to scare me. anyway, ls4 do you... nah never mind i broke the jettas rear tail light today.. whoops. my mum agreed that it wasnt my fault, i couldnt see that trailer jockey wheel in the rear view mirror anyway, and dad shouldnt have put it there. she says i should stop trying to bur nout in the driveway cos i keep getting traction and shooting out into the road! so only on sundays, cos we live on the end of a private road.

A wheel is for ever. A car is infinity times four.
Drive it like you stole it!
Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4