This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 9551

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
SweetNeon

Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Fri Jan 17, 03   11:49 PM     

good news i mite have a rebuildable m3 block for ya depending how scared up the cyl walls are. this is what happend if my story comes out makeing much sence after a few dozen drinks =P. one of are reg customers with his dinan supercharged m3 came in the other day and his car was missing, i read the codes off of the car, # 3cyl was missfireing, i pulled the # 3 plug out and it was smashed ulgy it didnt even have the electroid left on it, so i pulled out all the other plugs and they all looked pretty good besides 1 2 and 3 cyl looks to be runing alittle bit lean but good non the less except for cyl 3, i put new plugs in it and it ran good, i took it for a test drive and around 6000 rpm it started missing hardcore and shut off, i pulled the codes but this time i got : mult miss fire, cyl 2 missfire, cyl 1 missfire and it ran like shit all the way back to the shop, i got back to the shop and took all the codes off and it ran back to normal so i let my boss test drive it and when he came back the same thing happend, i pulled the plugs out but this time # 1 2 and 3 plugs were smashed to shit, im thinking some thing was flyin around in side cyl 3 smashing shit up and ended up makeing its way up the intake valves ( ive seen it before) and going in to the other cyls fucking shit up, i am wondering if what ever is in there is scaring up the cyl walls so on monday if it fails a compression test the guy is pry going to swap the motor that means i mite have a core =), but i think the guy just wants me to pull the head off just for the fuck of it and see whats going down. my question to you is why on a bmw when it stores a engine fault it runs like shit untill you take the fault off? it seemed like when it noticed it missfired it stoped spark to that cyl but im not to sure for what reasion

LS4_454
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Sat Jan 18, 03   6:20 PM     

Your the genius, figure it out. It is a DOHC or SOHC motor? I knew this day would come.

SweetNeon

Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Sun Jan 19, 03   12:05 AM     

this post wasing directed to you was it?

SweetNeon

Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Sun Jan 19, 03   8:36 AM     

im thinking it does that to stop from damageing its self any more but since i havent seen that happen before on any other cars i thought i would ask, and i dont proclame my self as being a genious but thanks for the complament

LS4_454
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Sun Jan 19, 03   6:22 PM     

Thats not the reason, your getting "cold". You'll see in due time.

uglystick
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Mon Jan 20, 03   11:25 AM     

it's certainly a twin cam. the question is, is it a four banger or a six banger.

sounds like part of the turbine wheel got sucked into the intake to me. or a seal bit/bearing bit/etc from the blower turbine shaft...just my guess.

but with all that vanos shit it could be a million and one things...exactly why i like the friggin singlecams.
and i do NOT want the core. bet you could get a handful for it on ebay though. especially if it is a four zyl. take it all apart and sell it bit by bit. you'll make a fortune.

curious if you're getting compression on any of the valves. and how the piece of metal can migrate between cylinders is beyond me. with the flow of gas through an engine the way it is...especially a supercharged one, there is no way for a piece of metal to go anywhere but with the flow of the gas.

i have seen something similar before on a miata with a tube of bb's in the intake manifold....shot peened cylinders yo!

jason

Project Junkyard Greyhound - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; Korman Twin Turbo Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Single T3/T4 Turbo w/ Rayjay Adjustible Wastegate; Haltech E6K
LS4_454
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Mon Jan 20, 03   8:22 PM     

I was kidding Jason, you should know! It is a six cylinder, the fours didn't have the capability to cut out mis-firing cylinders. I wouldn't want the block either with what you are planning, not enough CC's for you.

uglystick
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Mon Jan 20, 03   8:36 PM     

i don't know shit about that newfangled fuel injectorism

last i heard l jet had one of them funky oxiejyn sensors...to keep the fuel economy up and all...

as for a six, hell it would be cool. i don't need any of that new shit though...two valves is plenty for me.

here's the new photos btw:

http://orionoutdoor.com/users/jason/web/TwinTurbo/index.html

jason

Project Junkyard Greyhound - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; Korman Twin Turbo Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Single T3/T4 Turbo w/ Rayjay Adjustible Wastegate; Haltech E6K
LS4_454
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Mon Jan 20, 03   8:45 PM     

I've thought about finding a complete 3.2 M3 engine for my E28 with the ETA motor, I would double my HP instantly and I would still be smog legal.

uglystick
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Tue Jan 21, 03   10:36 AM     

eta

bahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

have you taken the e off the trunk yet? ;-) my friend devinder already converted his whole e system to an i. just couldn't handle the e on the trunk... hehehe

i'd go for it. if you can find a 3.2 m3

jason

uglystick
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Tue Jan 21, 03   2:58 PM     

so bottom line what was floatin around in the engine?

jason

LS4_454
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Tue Jan 21, 03   8:03 PM     

Good to laugh at, but it gets almost 30 mpg on the freeway. Not too bad for a four door family sedan. I will leave the E emblem and switch to the '88 dual tip E exhaust if I do it.

uglystick
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Wed Jan 22, 03   8:57 AM     

holy shit!

never heard about the actual economy figures out of thos little torkers...

they haul balls off the line, i know that much...

jason
i laughed because my friend had such a stigma with the e emblem...he absolutely couldn't handle it. his other car was a cammed 3.5l coupe too!! you'd think he'd settle for fast car - econo car... but noooo

SweetNeon

Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Wed Jan 29, 03   7:08 PM     

looks like what ever shop installed the rc injectors on it didnt put one in, so 1 cyl ran lean, when i took the intake manifold off of it i found 2 pieces of mettel in the plenum they didnt look famular, they wernt pieces of the pistion or ring, the super charger turbines looked untouched, and judgeing by the copper content in the mettal im thinking they are from the electroid on the spark plug so this is my story of what i think ahppend. the cyl running lean some how craked the spark plug, the electroid in the plug came out, started smashing up shit and traveled up the intake manfiold to all of the other cyl, i pulled the head off and it had some damage to the head but not to bad but all the pistions were fucked up and there are scores down every cyl, so im gona pull the block out and get it bored out and shit so yea cool story huh?

uglystick
Re: Bmw problem right up ulgys alley   Posted Thu Jan 30, 03   10:53 AM     

damn...lesson learned...

that's nuts. i'm still trying to figure out what kind of injectors to use. if i go with RC they can custom mill me a set of hats for them so i can hook a rail right up to my exisiting old school bosch 2 nut retainer setup (two nuts and a plate hold the injector against its o ring), and also run a new style rail without attaching the rail to the intake.

but they're SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE! the accel injectors i've seen for sale at summit (48#) will cost me far less, yield two spares (a v8 set) and seem to be pretty close in terms of the boss that they use (bosch o ring). there's an accel dealer in town and i'll go see if he's got one i could test-fit into my manifold.

back to the topic though, yeah that really was a cool story!!

jason

Project Junkyard Greyhound - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; Korman Twin Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Rayjay Adjustible Wastegate; Haltech E6K; 6 Speed?
Pages in this thread: (1) 2