This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 55734

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7  
uglystick
Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Tue Jan 7, 03   5:11 PM     

oh, and bimmers use twin cams too...here's a '75 race prepped csl that won the 24 hours of daytona in '76 and the 12 hours of lemans in '76 as well...good vid:

http://www.endorphin.com/wheels/bmw_csl.html

jason

Project Junkyard Greyhound - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; Korman Twin Turbo Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Single T3/T4 Turbo w/ Rayjay Adjustible Wastegate; Haltech E6K
LS4_454
Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Tue Jan 7, 03   10:29 PM     

Questions:

1). Ring clearance (flank, side, etc.)How "tight" does the
tug need to be on the feeler guage? I am coming up with .064 mm,
but the tug between feeler, ring, and ring land is light.
Allowable spec for Mahle pistons with 1.75 top rings is from .
04 to .072 mm. I cannot find specific info for this motor. - I haven't ever checked the ring clearance but if you can't get one in larger than the Mahle spec of .072 then I would think your OK, but you may be at the upper end of your limit. Is the spec .040-.072? The specs work out to .001" to .003" and you are at .002", I would still think youre OK. The rings do need to mave back and forth in the groove a little to create the sealing/scraping action depending on which ring land it is.

2). The top piston ring mikes out to about 1.70 mm. I would
assume that ring should a little thicker than 1.75mm. Hmmmmm.
If new rings were thicker, these pistons would start looking
a lot better. - What do you mean the pistons would "look" better? Look better to use with less ring to piston clearance? Do you have any rings laying around that mic closer to 1.75? You could slide one in and see if the fit is any better.

My current 3 liter could damn well use rings, rear seal,
and the rebuilt head. If I do all of that, I am close to
rebuilding the 3.5.

Compression is damn good, around 200-205 PSI, but why is
there so much pressure in the crankcase? Bad oil control
rings? - The compression is usually closer to 180, if the oil control rings are bad then the oil could be helping to seal up the cylinders giving you higher readings. Have you done a leak down test yet? That could give you better results as to how well the engine is internally. Is there a lot of blow by from the motor when it is running? I've seen M10's blow enough air out the oil filler cap to blow up a balloon! But they still seem to run OK.

LS4_454
Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Tue Jan 7, 03   10:36 PM     

Leave each other alone? Doubt it, that is the whole fun of coming to this board. If this is a big dick contest, then we should be getting into the 14" neighborhood,LOL. What do you think Neon? There is also saying, never argue with an idiot,.................................

MrPeabody

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Wed Jan 8, 03   11:34 AM     

Actually, not that it matters, most honda SOHC's are 4 valves per cylinder, 16 valve engines, even my 1.5 is...

-Ben

SweetNeon

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:32 PM     

thats cuz your as stupid as he is when it comes to motors

SweetNeon

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:34 PM     

other then one other cam and some cam caps, what other more internals are there to break on a 4 valve per cylinder dohc? dumbass

SweetNeon

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:36 PM     

depends on how built that 4 cyl is comepaired to the 6 cyl its up against

Stryker
Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:40 PM     

Why can't you just

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Stryker
Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:40 PM     

put all your rantings

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Stryker
Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:41 PM     

ON A SINGLE FUCKING POST?!

SweetNeon

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:48 PM     

ok DUMBASS, you know i realy dont have to say any thing to make ya look like the idiot you are because you all ready made your self look like one from what you say. lol dumb ass is trying to compaire 2 motors to make him sound like he is right when that 1 motor dont even fucking exsist. why dont we compair some thing more compairable shal we? how about a sohc 2.0 neon motor to a dohc 2.0 neon motor : both motors are 4 valves a cylinder, the valves in both motors are pretty much identical in every way and the valve springs are the same sooooooooo and i quote you DUMBASS "once you can actually figure out that dohc valves are" THE FUCKING SAME you may understand that it takes THE FUCKING SAME valve spring tension to keep the valves from FUCKING FLOATING at high rpms were as a sohc with 4 Valves PER cylinder (the same fucking size and weight) will NOT and i repeat NOT need a stiffer spring to keep the valve float from happening at the same high rpms. your term for floating seems kind of DUMBASSish beacuse i have never red lined my motor and seeing that i am runing stiffer crane springs your comment was as stupid as your fucking dumb shit compairson. oh by the way im 18 not 19, does that make you seem even more like an idiot seeing that some one younger knows a fuck load more then you do about every thing? lol your asking a mechanic if he has ever had a motor apart hahaha i say no more, DUMBASS

SweetNeon

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:49 PM     

stay out of it, this conver doesnt consern you

SweetNeon

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:51 PM     

awesome, can you pull out more hp out of the dohc other then the sohc? do they use the dohc's in racing more then the sohcs? do the dohc tend to me more unreliable then the sohc?

SweetNeon

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:52 PM     

yea i should listen to that saying, but its so fun makeing you look like an idiot on a daily basis

SweetNeon

Re: inspiration comes in funny packages...   Posted Fri Jan 10, 03   10:53 PM     

actually it does matter, it matters so much that it shows he doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about in this whole conversation

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7