This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 27884

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4  
2000EclipseGT

Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:08 PM     

Hello all. I'm new, I just recently bought a 2000 Eclipse GT down here in El Paso, Texas... its a nice place which has lots of active racing going on here and there, since its desert and we have long open stretches of backroads, and some local strips. I work at a Harley shop here and some guys here have some imports with kits that I always used to admire, and I got into them through them - but I really am a newbie to the racing scene.

I've been learning about performance parts and how they all work, and I have learned a ton thus far, but I don't have a good community to ask questions and/or talk with about these things.

I was wondering what are some solid starting options to start upgrading my performance? A guy told me to replace my pistons and rods, and then save up for a turbo... but I'm not sure. When I get a turbo, will it be replacing my header? Or, if not, would a header be a good starting boost to performance?

I really don't have anywhere to start learning, sadly.

Thanks!

MrPeabody

Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:31 PM     

Hey, nice to see a new guy who honestly wants to know more As far as mods go, it all depends on what kind of money you have. The best starting bang for the buck mod in my opinon is an intake system from either AEM or Iceman, AEM's also been known to re-shape the torque curve. I'm not too familiar with the newer Eclipses, I think the GT model is a V6, correct? As far as a turbo goes, you need to take the standard precaustions with just about any car that doesn't have forced induction from the factory, (read weak internals), by replacing and upgrading the components i.e. forged rods, pistions and an upgraded fuel system. And yes, if you plan on going turbo, it wouldn't be a good idea to buy an aftermarket header or headers, seeing as how a turbocharger utalizes the exhaust manifold. Most companies say bolt on performance parts, "Add 10 HP to the wheels" what they neglect to mention is that that part is added to an already tuned engine, to utalize an upgrade other components have to be modded as well, like if you add an aggressive cam you need to compensate with a more aggressive fuel setup beacaus your engine is inhaling allot more air and without that extra amount of fuel it will run lean, which equals hot, whcih equals boom. Just do your research and make educated desisions on mods, have an open mind and listen to the people on this board, they really know what their talking about, ( even thou we may give you a hard time now and then

Good luck

-Ben

2000EclipseGT

Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:41 PM     

[url=www.modacar.com/products/Mitsubishi/Eclipse/MODAAII/]http://www.modacar.com/products/Mitsubishi/Eclipse/MODAAII/[/url]

You mean like those AEM intakes? I was under the impession that the air intake wouldn't work well with a Turbo-charged engine, based on some loose discussion with someone I kind of know (not a very good basis for upgrading an engine on, I know ; ) )

I understand how compression and air-cooling works to cram more air into cylinders, and why I'd need to strengthen my internals, but I wasn't really sure what to do first. When I do go turbo, I figured I'd do it all at once, or I'd strengthen my internals one by one, THEN slapping in the turbo, ready to work with my stronger block.

I really don't know where to go first, but does this sound good?

Air Intake
Exhaust
Internals
Turbo kit

Thanks again.. and man, this forum sure is full of flaming : ) Hope I don't trigger any of that!!

EDIT: Yeah, the GT is a V6, btw.

Edited by 2000EclipseGT (Wed Nov 27, 02   12:46 PM)

uglystick
Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:46 PM     

i'll post more later, eclipse.

but this is the most important lesson you can learn:

spending money NOW will screw you over for an educated plan LATER. for example...if you buy an intake and headers, neither are usable with a turbocharger. whoops, there went a couple hundred bucks...that could have paid for a larger gain and/or a more integrated and well planned upgrade.

'nuff said for now, i gotta go.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
JcAus
Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:47 PM     

I am not sure how it works over in the US with the Eclipses, but out here if a NA car wants to go forced induction then you will need to have a Turbo manifold made up or buy one already made.

With that the case I would advise not doing the exhaust until you have the turbo kit, because you dont want to be spending money on things that you dont need.

If you go the exhaust change then the turbo kit, if you have upgraded the Exhaust manifold then you will need to then spend more money on getting another manifold.

Just a thought

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
MrPeabody

Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:48 PM     

SOunds like a good plan, I'm not too sure what kind of turbo kits are out there for the new eclipse. You said you lived in Texas right? I believe the emissions laws there are allot more lax than in California, which gives you an advantage. You most likely wouldn't have to buy a specifically street legal turbo kit for your Eclipse, it would be a good idea to take it to a shop and have them fabricate a custome turbo set-up based on your engine's dynamics, this would probobly give you the best performance, and they would also be able to buld the block too. Once again, I guess it all depends on how much money you have, the more you got, the faster you'll go.

-Ben

JcAus
Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:48 PM     

Jason,
you are just to damn fast for me lol

I was trying to say that

Jc

----------------
1969Stang
Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:49 PM     

Jc have anymore pics of your car...looks nice

Go Ahead....
Unleash your Beast....
Mine will be waiting...
uglystick
Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:52 PM     

yeah jc, i'm only going to say this once: that car is fuckin sick! sorry for beating you to the punch... there, try figuring that saying out. either that or match it with one of your gibberish australian sayings.. ;-)

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
MrPeabody

Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:53 PM     

FTO's are badass dude, I like that color too

-Ben

JcAus
Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:54 PM     

Gibberish?!? I dont speak gibberish, I spaek booner ingrish....

I do have more pics of my car I will post em for yas
Let me just find em

Jc

----------------
MrPeabody

Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   12:56 PM     

Man, allot of people on right now, and only the smart ones too :P

-Ben

JcAus
Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   1:06 PM     

[External Image Removed]
[External Image Removed]
[External Image Removed]

I have more, I will take some more tonight, I am doing a formal so I will get some one to take a pic of me with my car.

jc

----------------
MrPeabody

Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   1:08 PM     

Man, drool. That's going on my background Huge thumbs up.

-Ben

2000EclipseGT

Re: Hello all.. I'm new. Have some questions..   Posted Wed Nov 27, 02   1:11 PM     

Ok, this really helps - I didn't think about it. Cold air induction intake would be redundant with a front mounted intercooler, wouldn't it? And I also see what you are saying about the exhaust - I'd just end up having blown money on one exhaust manifold when I'd have to redo it anyways due to turbo.

So - I guess I'll just go do what you said, and go to a race shop and let them gather up what would be the best turbo kit for my car's needs, and then do the internals and turbo all in one shot, or one piece at a time.

I work at a $7 an hour job right now, but this is a project car both me and my fiancee are working on with our money.. shes into imports with me as well, this is our project.

In the next 2-3 years though, I'll be making upwards of 15-23 per hour though, so I assume that will be when most of my bigger endeavors hit the fan.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3 4