This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 14970

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
Stryker
Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Sun Apr 21, 02   11:55 PM     

A friend of mine just bought a '99 Eclipse GSX. The engine in it is totaly shot to hell, so he's gonna get a new one. We saw 2 ads in our paper, one for an engine out of a VR4, and one for an engine out of a Honda S2000. Niether of them said how much HP they have, but they both say 'Runs in excelent condition' and are running for the same price...which one would be the better deal?

~~~::::<Scorpion Stryker>::::~~~
hooyeah
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   12:27 AM     

i am not sure about the vr4 but the s2000 from factory is around 240 hp and revs to around 10grand i think hopefully someone else can give u the stats on the other persoally from wut i know about the honda it is around 240 hp 2.0 litre vtec and it is a high revving powerplant fairly competitive with a boxster so i would say go for the honda depending on wut other info u get on the vr4

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   12:32 AM     

All I really know 'bout the VR4 is that it has twin turbo. Does the s2000 have any turbo/supercharger or not? Personally, I think that the s2000 is sounding really really good right now, and if it were my car, I'd probly go wit it, but I wanna make sure on the VR4 before I make a recomendation to my bud...

hooyeah
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   12:50 AM     

no the s2000 is no turbos or supershargers it's naturally aspirated just highly tuned

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:00 AM     

I just found out...the VR4 engine has 320 hp @ 6000 rpm, and it's capable of up to 750 hp with all 4 upgrade kits for the turbo. it redlines at 7000. That's not bad...

hooyeah
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:02 AM     

wow yah that isn't that bad i doubt u'll get the honda upto that for that same money so i would seeing that go with the vr4

Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:05 AM     

Yeah...I think I'm definently gonna recomend the vr4 engine to my friend and give him the stats I've learned tonight on both, unless someone can tell me that the s2000 engine can make his car fly. Thanks for the help.

hooyeah
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:07 AM     

the only other advantage i can see from the s2000 is it would probabyl be lighter and the revving but other than that i think for the power the vr4 over all would be the bette rof the two

Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:11 AM     

Yeah. We don't really care how high it'll rev, just what speed it'll top out at and how fast it gets to that speed. There's a 3 mile stretch of road out here where all the BIG bets happen, so we are plannin on takin it there and seein how fast we can get it...

novaboy

Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   4:15 AM     

youll never get the s2000 engine in there, its for a rear wheel drive set up so the engine will be long ways....why the heck arnt you looking for the engine that was in there originally instead of looking at other companies? what are you thinking? and if you wanna pass smog ever in your life then youll need a mitsu engine that is 99 and up.....and no the s2000 is not supercharged or turbo......are you reallllllllllyyyyyy high right now?

novaboy
integraracer9x
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   8:33 AM     

If I were you I'd suggest the Mitsubishi 300GT VR4 engine. I've personally raced against a few of those and they haul serious ass. Those are fast as hell, and because of the serious HP to the engine stock, small upgrades make bigger differences. Also, I would think that the S200 wouldn't fit correctly into the Eclipse engine bay. I'd at least go with the same company. Stick with Mitsubishi and go VR4.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes."
novaboy

Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   10:26 AM     

i dont even think the vr4 engine will fit. the bay of the gsx is crowded with the 4 and a turbo...how much more so with 2 more pistons and another turbo and all the tubing....stop tying to be cool and go with what will work man!!!!

novaboy
Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   12:31 PM     

I didn't say it was MY car nova. I mean hell, if we COULD find an engine for an eclipse, we WOULD use it. But hell, we just saw these two engines and thought what the hell. Both are faster than what was in there. And I'm sure he'll be able to sqeez that vr4 in there. He put a 350 in a geo storm, so I'm sure he can put that engine in there without much trouble.

novaboy

Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   12:53 PM     

haha ok. well i figured that you didnt know what you were doing so....i mean you didnt even know if the s2000 was supercharged or not. i would go with the vr4....but if he wants to be legall he has to get a 99 or later engine.

novaboy
Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:00 PM     

I DON'T know what I'm doing, but he does. (Why the HELL he's askin ME to recoment an engine for him, I don't know). I don't know a whole hell of a lot about tech talk, but I'm learning. And now I do know that the s2000 isn't super/turbo charged.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2