This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 14970

Pages in this thread: 1 (2)  
novaboy

Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:09 PM     

its all good........no what ive figured out domestic guys....these hondas are for people that dont know anything about cars.....why dont you people know anything about the cars you mob in? no offence stryker its just somthin ive noticed.

novaboy
Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:16 PM     

Hey hey hey hey hey...I'm CHEVY all the way!!! I like how the imports LOOK, but that's 'bout it. My motto is 'There's no replacement for displacement.' I'd rather drive a muscle car with 8-cyl. than a honda with a 4 banger ANY day. LOL.

~~~::::<Scorpion Stryker>::::~~~
novaboy

Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:36 PM     

the only thing i think imports have over domestics is there handeling....however i think i could make my 300 doller nova outhandle my civic for the price difference. lol!

novaboy
Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:42 PM     

Yeah...you CAN make an import fast, but for the money that it takes, you can put that into somethin that has 8 cyl. and make it that much faster. And I like the imports cause of luxery. And they look cool. But if ya want speed, I'd definantly go with the muscle car.

novaboy

Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   1:55 PM     

theres somthing besides speed??????

novaboy
Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Mon Apr 22, 02   2:02 PM     

LOL. Yeah. I didn't wanna believe it either when I found out...but, sadly, there is.

integraracer9x
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Tue Apr 23, 02   9:08 AM     

Ouch guys, ouch... If I didn't know any better I'd swear you were insulting me... Not all Honda drivers know absolutely nothing about engines. I do agree that alot of these new 'tuners' that are out there know nothing about there cars and only pay to have work done, however, those who do work on Honda engines [like me], deserve just a little more respect than domestic tuners because I can guarantee that a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, or any other import will be twice as hard to work on due to the advanced technologies of the engine. No bashing on anyone here... Just stating that those who do know these engines deserve props. Just as anyone who does their own work does. I've seen Nova's pics. Nice work on that engine bay.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes."
Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Tue Apr 23, 02   2:45 PM     

No, we aren't insulting YOU bud. I believe that was directed at all the morons out there who, like you said, pay someone else to get their hands dirty, then take credit for it out on the streets. Hell...if anything, it was an insult directed at ME! I don't know shit 'bout cars! But I refuse to let someone else do my work for me. Anyone who takes credit for someone else's work should have their car taken from them and watch as it's taken apart piece by piece!

Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Tue Apr 23, 02   2:48 PM     

Damn...I just noticed...I tend to go off on a tangent, huh? I start with one thing, and go somewhere else. Damn...I wonder if I'm spending too much time around my ex-girlfriend. :-D

novaboy

Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Tue Apr 23, 02   4:44 PM     

no the insult was not at either of you. it was towards the fact that i might be getting a job at an import place doing installs and i looked at the instal list. putting on rims 20 dollers, intake 20 dollers, lights 20 dollers, exhaust 60 dollers, struts 120 dollers, nos 200 dollers. not knowing anything about your car is exspensive!!!!! lol!!! i know that import engines can be more intricate but most import peeps dont even change more than there cm and cam gears themselves. and its easy to change the cam on a honda....just pop open the valve cover and take of the roller assembaly and your done.

novaboy
LifeOfAgony
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Fri Apr 26, 02   12:24 PM     

Back on subject...

I think Eclipse engines should be way easier to come by than either of those two, I think its mostly a fluke you found two moderately rare engines (remember, both were relatively low volume cars, and the S2000 is a nearly new line). Also, price was never mentioned. The VR-4 is a more expensive car, mostly because its a more expensive engine/drivetrain setup. I'm sure with all the high tech valve timing massaging Honda did on the S2000 engine its not cheap, but I doubt it cost more to build than a VR-4 engine. Not that this has to determine the junker engine seller's price.

I agree with whoever said that neither would probably fit. VR-4 is a closer bet because its a Mitsubishi too and its AWD, but that might just complicate matters more (unless he has an AWD Eclipse, which I don't recall it being one). Plus, I think the biggest factor is size... the VR-4 engine is a big V6 twin turbo! Not only do you have to fit in the engine bay, you have to fit under the hood. This all goes without saying that custom engine mounting brackets will need to be made for any other type of engine but an Eclipse engine.

I recommend doing some harder searching than just the first two good engines you notice in the paper. Also, since although the friend "knows about cars" yet is asking you about an engine swap candidate and is downplaying the whole matter as if it is as easy as changing wheels (which its not), he is obviously not planning to do this transplant himself (or if he is, he's fooling himself) and should ask the tuning shop that's gonna do it to recommend a type of engine (I'm sure they'll say Eclipse. If he plans to do it himself, I recommend doing your homework. Sport Compact Car, Import Tuner, and Turbo magazine have a lot of high tech how-to's, including engine swaps. This is a good place to start, but some tech manuals for his model would help too. Bottom line, do as muc research as possible, even if he isn't doing it himself. It'd suck to have the garage tell him that they fubared something putting in an oddball engine. Most of all, I wish him good luck if he plans to do it himself, he's got more balls than me.

Gavin

Edited by LifeOfAgony (Fri Apr 26, 02   12:32 PM)

Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Fri Apr 26, 02   1:07 PM     

Yeah...it's the AWD model (I think it's like GSX or GSR or somethin? Don't remember). And yes. He's planning on doin it himself. He wants to show me how do successfully complete an engine transplant. He's kinda teachin me all this shit, and it isn't like we aren't gonna look for another engine...these were just the first 2 we saw...And they are both 5500 bux. He did some lookin into it though, and said he probly wouldn't go with either now. But he did call the guy about the vr4 engine and ask him to hold it for him. . .'Just In Case' he said. LOL. I know what that means...he knows someone that can use it if he can't...

LifeOfAgony
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Fri Apr 26, 02   1:20 PM     

Not a bad idea, but if he's serious, he should get measurements on the dimensions of the VR-4 engine, and maybe weight too if possible. Then measure his engine bay's dimensions, including locations of mounting braces (if visible), and try to find weight spec on his current engine, as I imagine he hasn't pulled it yet.

As you can see, I like VR-4s, so having that engine in a much lighter car like an Eclipse would really rock ass, especially after engine mods. There are just a lot of things to consider, like does it fit, can he mount it/fabricate the right custom mounting braces, is he ready to modify the suspention to account for the new front/rear weight distribution, etc.

Edited by LifeOfAgony (Fri Apr 26, 02   1:26 PM)

Stryker
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Fri Apr 26, 02   1:24 PM     

WELLLLLL.....remember in my first post when I said the engine was shot to hell? Well, he took the car, but left the engine. LOL. Paid 2500. So it don't have an engine, and we don't have access to it anymore....soo...yeah. Guess he'll have to hit the books and find out it's specs on his own, huh? LOL

LifeOfAgony
Re: Eclipse Engine Transplant   Posted Fri Apr 26, 02   1:41 PM     

Ah, that Edit option is like a bad habit for me. Gotta stop using it.

Yeah, so like I was saying, a lot of research is in order, just for the opposite reason.

Pages in this thread: 1 (2)