This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 9823

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
integraracer9x
Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   8:31 AM     

I was trying to replace my rotors. My rear right caliper has 2 parts. First part holds the piston, second part stays put, and holds the break pads to the rotor. My problem is that the 2 bolts that hold the second part of the caliper are rusted solid and a little stripped. I can't get em off. I've been blasting them with de-rusters for a week. How can I get these off? Also, there are 2 screws that hold my rotor on. The head on one of the screws broke off. How do I get this out? Wow I'm really screwed. Help please... Thanx in advance.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes."
fonzarelli
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   8:36 AM     

uh oh. this doesnt sound good.
i had one of the security bolts on one of my wheels get rusted and stripped.. the only what i could remove the bolt to get the wheel off was to take the car to a bodyshop who used their compressed air chizel to literally smash the bolt to pieces!! i doubt that would work in your situation tho without risking serious damage to the car. sorry dude.

sweetdevil
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   8:37 AM     

You know them super-duty-handy little stripped-bolt-take-em-outer thingees you see on TV? They don't work so cut it off and buy a new one...

Rome did not creat a great empire by having meetings, they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

fonzarelli
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   8:41 AM     

well, there is another way... you need to drill down through the stripped screw/bolt, then rifle the new hole in the opposite rotation to the original, screw in another screw/bolt and then unscrew it. hopefully, the new screw (thats going down the middle of the old one) will grip the old one and allow you to take them both out. very difficult and time-consuming though. good luck if you try it!!!!

integraracer9x
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   8:51 AM     

You know what, I think I'll try that one. It sounds like it just may work. Very cool, and thanx guys and gals.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes."
sweetdevil
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   9:02 AM     

I was actually just being a smart ass, cuz you always see those things on tv, I purchased one and it didn't work for shit! But you're welcome anyway!!!

H lp! S m b dy st l ll th v w ls fr m my k yb rd!

novaboy

Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   2:11 PM     

ok for the stripped bolt use vise grips! and then get new bolts from a bolt store...make sure there grade 8. for the screw...ez outs are these drill bits that will drill into the screw and get it out...theres another word for them...i forget. oh well.

novaboy
rotaryracer

Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   3:10 PM     

go down to your local hardware store and pick a tap and die set. it will make things much easier and cheaper than chiseling or paying someone to chisel it.

novaboy

Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   3:11 PM     

yea but a tap and die set is just to restore threads.

novaboy
hooyeah
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   3:16 PM     

u can get an internal tap and die set though that can create threads on internal holes u drill a hole the use a tap slightly bigger than that hole and it cuts the threads

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
sweetdevil
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   3:16 PM     

Even I knew that one!

novaboy

Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   3:18 PM     

or you could just buy an ez out for 3 bucks and not worry about it

novaboy
hooyeah
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   3:23 PM     

but if u get the tap and die set it serves many purposes even later on so it is worth the investment and since u need it now u may as well pick up a set so u can use it again if this happens again or a similair situation or even if you just want to make some threads for fun and test out your screws, and it also comes in handy for cleaning threads on automotive stuff so i say go with that

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works
sweetdevil
Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   3:24 PM     

screw it, just buy a whole new caliper

novaboy

Re: Hey, help...   Posted Fri Apr 19, 02   3:25 PM     

he cant take if off how is he gonna put the new one on?

novaboy
Pages in this thread: (1) 2