This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Import Forum Thread views: 2036

uglystick
89 Prelude Si w/ 4WS   Posted Thu Oct 10, 02   11:15 AM     

hey y'all, i've got a friend from high school whose sister has a prelude si for sale (1989). i also have a good friend who used to work as a service advisor for the local honda dealership. a mechanic buddy of his who also runs ford hot rods (big fuckin 390's) has the mechanical four wheel steering system for that car.

i'm curious peoples opinions of the 2.0l sohc engine and the mechanical 4ws system...

it would be a cool replacement for my geo. and i like the old 'ludes, they're so low to the ground it's like driving a go kart.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
hooyeah
Re: 89 Prelude Si w/ 4WS   Posted Thu Oct 10, 02   11:27 AM     

the 4 wheel steering system i've heard is a pain more worn out parts to replace it's a really cool system mechanically i haven't really heard anytihng that great about the 4ws system my neighbor had one and i replaced the clutch on one bout a week back it's cool to be able to say yeah well my car has 4 wheel steering and great low speed maneusering but from what ive heard ALOT of stability problems at higher speeds

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
leak WHAT LEAK? ohhh that, it's not leaking oil it's just marking it's territory.

resident chevette lover!
eternalninex

Re: 89 Prelude Si w/ 4WS   Posted Fri Oct 11, 02   12:02 PM     

on the subject of all wheel steering... there are both disadvantages and advantages to it. like he said before, at higher speeds, if it's not in the best of condition, the 4w steering can take it's toll on controlling the car, however, at the same time, it may be worth the great improvements in stability and manuverablilty at lower speeds, the ability to take sharper turns and such... but also as stated before, your looking at a lot of extra parts and weight. i personally love all hondas and respect them for what they're worth. i'd go for it, despite any downpoints. but this is truly a decision that's entirely dependant upon your personal likes and dislikes.

uglystick
Re: 89 Prelude Si w/ 4WS   Posted Fri Oct 11, 02   12:38 PM     

wow, finally a new member who can construct a readable sentence! welcome to the board, and thanks for the info. we'll see how it all goes.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
hooyeah
Re: 89 Prelude Si w/ 4WS   Posted Fri Oct 11, 02   2:19 PM     

drive it and see if you like it

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
leak WHAT LEAK? ohhh that, it's not leaking oil it's just marking it's territory.

resident chevette lover!