This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> General Forum Thread views: 5300

addickted2speed
I NEED HELP   Posted Mon Jul 17, 06   10:42 AM     

i'm new but i've been reading and learning alot so far about cars..i'm really into them and i've worked on a few ..very few unfortunately. my question is how do you install an LED neon light under the car ?

DBLDREW
Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Mon Jul 17, 06   11:35 AM     

Ok what you need to do is go over to the hardware store and pick up one of those “bug zappers”. They are the ones that glow neon blue or green and they attract bugs, when the bug tries to get to close to the light they get electrocuted. Here is an example of one…

http://www.amazon.com/Flowtron-Model-BK-15D/dp/B00004R9VZ/sr=8-1/qid=1153160398/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4408497-3496015?ie=UTF8

Now be careful on which type of “bug zapper” you get. There is another brand of “bug Zapper” that doesn’t glow but would also look pretty cool dragging under your car. Here is an example…

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/bug_zapper.html

Now for the fist option (the one that glows) you need to get a nail gun and some duct tape to mount it up under your car. Now you didn’t mention what kind of car you have so I can’t give you specific instructions on how to mount it. But basically what you want to do is hold it under your car and blast a few nails through it, typically good mounting points are your drive shaft, gas tank, or oil pan. Now finish it off by slapping a few strips of duct tape on just for that little extra holding power.

The next step is making it “glow” basically the zapper should come with a standard 3 prong plug, so you could get a power converter for your car, but that seems to advanced for you so your best bet is just carry a very long extension cord with you, or you could mount a generator in your trunk (you can use that nail gun again to mount it). So either way you go you will be looking good, and helping cut down on misquotes as well!!

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
addickted2speed
Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Mon Jul 17, 06   12:02 PM     

^^^ thanks .. i have a 2001 honda civic

Iwantasupra

Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Tue Jul 18, 06   1:04 PM     

Well that wasn't too nice, weren't YOU one of the people in the first place who said that you hate it when people don't actually give advice? That clearly isn't the real way to apply neon, and I'm not sure if he noticed that or not. But still, helping out newbies such as me would be nice, instead of just mocking them like that. That's all I have to say.

Anyone can shoot a bullet, but it take skill to drive one.
DBLDREW
Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Tue Jul 18, 06   2:04 PM     

I don’t remember saying that. But regardless I DID give her some advice. So your statement is a little confusing. Now I’m sure there are better ways to mount a neon light setup for your car, if you want to drop a lot of money for a kit I’m sure it will come with instructions. All I did was provide a very cheap alternative that when mounted up the way I suggested will look JUST AS GOOD as one of those kits.

I just don’t understand why you would drop thousands of dollars for a neon kit when they don’t even kill misquotes, but to each his own I guess.

Iwantasupra

Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Tue Jul 18, 06   2:29 PM     

Lol, nice, and I guess you DO make a point. Imagine if they actually made neon that killed mosquitoes

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Tue Jul 18, 06   10:04 PM     

They do, its called a bugzapper.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO

[External Image Removed]
Iwantasupra

Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Wed Jul 19, 06   1:00 PM     

No shit, I meant kind that was MADE for cars

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Wed Jul 19, 06   1:55 PM     

You can put a bugzapper on a car.

"go wack you balls to a picture of 2 faggets you homo" << Direct quote from FastFiveO

[External Image Removed]
DBLDREW
Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Wed Jul 19, 06   2:04 PM     

Yeah didn’t you read my tutorial?!? For gods sake it’s the second post!

Iwantasupra

Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Wed Jul 19, 06   8:09 PM     

I give up :P

buddhakwake
Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Sat Jul 22, 06   9:32 AM     

The worst thing about the first post (which is why it deserved such a reply) was that the dummkopf wrote "LED neon". those are two different things. Neons work based on excited gasses (not always just neon gas though, sometimes Argon or others are used) whereas an LED uses a diode (a kind of resistor that glows and puts off very little heat while doing it) hence the name Light Emitting Diode.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Iwantasupra

Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Sat Jul 22, 06   9:46 AM     

Oh I see. Thanks.